Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I think I have a brick.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Redbeard84

Redbeard84

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:31 AM

Posted 30 June 2014 - 09:37 PM

I have a Toshiba Satellite P205 17.3" laptop. It was running Windows Vista.

The other day I pushed the power button and got fan spinup, a blacked out dispay and nothing else.

The AC indicator stays lit, battery indicator stays lit, hard drive indicator lights for about a second then shuts off, the power indicator flashes orange and blue constantly (2 orange, 1 blue, rinse and repeat)

So far I have cycled the power (removed battery, unplugged, depressed power button for minimum of thirty seconds). I removed and reseated the HDD. Changed out the RAM sticks. Connected to an external display.

I am pretty sure the motherboard is fried but wanted to ask the fine people on Bleeping Computer if there was any other troubleshooting steps I could take before I scrap it for parts, or if there was another possible explanation for the shenanigans that are happening.

Thank you in advance for input and you guys rock!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2014 - 10:02 PM

Have you tried booting from a live disc like the Windows install disc, a diagnostic disc, some version of Linux?  It could be your hard drive.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#3 Redbeard84

Redbeard84
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2014 - 10:07 PM

Tried a few different bootable cd's (drive never spins) and a flash drive with yumi. No Post. Display doesn't even flicker.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,832 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:31 AM

Posted 30 June 2014 - 10:31 PM

When you power cycled the laptop, did you leave the battery out and then rebooted with the power adapter attached?

#5 Redbeard84

Redbeard84
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2014 - 10:34 PM

Yep. I have tried powering it up with no battery, with both battery and ac, and with battery only (power cycled between each). All three configurations give the same symptoms.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,832 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2014 - 10:41 PM

As strange as it may seem, I have heard of a bad CMOS battery keeping a computer from booting. Maybe a new one would solve the problem. Unfortunately, the battery is not the standard CR2032. At least not according to these people.

http://www.genuine-cmos-battery.com/toshiba-satellite-p205-cmos-battery.html

Edit: When you swapped out the Ram modules, is there more than one? Did you try booting with only one module?

Edited by JohnC_21, 30 June 2014 - 10:43 PM.

#7 Redbeard84

Redbeard84
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2014 - 10:45 PM

The lack of a standard battery would definitely explain why I didn't see it when I pulled the panels. I will have to attempt to track this sucker down on the board and put a multimeter to it. Thanks for the suggestion.

Edited by Redbeard84, 30 June 2014 - 10:45 PM.

#8 Redbeard84

Redbeard84
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2014 - 10:47 PM

A bad battery would also explain why it didn't post.

#9 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2014 - 02:27 PM

When you try 1 stick of ram, try it in both slots. You may have a bad slot.

Resetting the cmos may fix the issue.

Any hardware can cause a post fault. If you remove the ram entirely and power the computer on do you receive any post fault beep code? If you do not I might suspect a problem with the mainboard.

Tear into the computer, remove all non-essential hardware, keyboard, wireless card, touchpad, webcam etc. Leave only a single stick of ram, the lcd panel, the cpu/cpu cooler, and power adapter attached (remove the main battery). Now try to power it on. If you still have no video and get blinking lights, you are down to one of those components being bad.

It is more likely to have a failed mainboard than a failed cpu from my experience. If it is a bad mainboard, generally it is not worth replacing unless you can find a new board. I never recommend buying used mainboards.

Edited by zingo156, 01 July 2014 - 02:27 PM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users