Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Building my first computer

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 RapGod

RapGod

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:59 PM

Posted 30 June 2014 - 06:47 PM

Hello,

So I'm entering college next year, so I'll need a laptop for that.  I'm getting a basic one so I can surf the web and take notes.  Besides that, I'm looking to build a gaming computer.  Since I'll be a college student, I won't have a large budget.  I'm looking for tips and tricks that would help this process go smoothly :)  The games I would be playing would be Battlefield, Call of Duty, GTA, Sims 4 and the expansion packs.  I'm looking to learning and building a computer.  Thank you for your time. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,057 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2014 - 07:06 PM

i can't say anything about laptops but there is a guide on a cheap gaming build somewhere in the threads here, i will look for it..

here it is:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/534010/my-awesome-personal-600-gaming-rig/

Edited by synergy513, 30 June 2014 - 07:30 PM.

Moore's Law : 4d Graph in Progress

#3 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 PM

Posted 30 June 2014 - 07:36 PM

The only component i would change from that list is power supply as the TR2 series has it's fair share of failure rates but anyhow, do you have some sought of budget? Do you need peripherals (monitor, keyboard, mouse)?

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#4 RapGod

RapGod
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2014 - 07:41 PM

I have the monitor, mouse, and keyboard already...I don't have a budget in mind but I would guess it would be around $1,000

#5 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,165 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:59 AM

Posted 30 June 2014 - 08:40 PM

It's a good budget, if you carefully select components and shop wisely you can put together a very nice system for that sort of money.

Here is one example which is the kind of level you can be looking at.  They haven't included an operating system in the budget.  Personally I'd probably go with a cheaper air cooler and try to budget for an SSD drive, but always there will be judgement calls to be made.

7sbvuf-6.png

#6 RapGod

RapGod
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2014 - 09:19 PM

Thank you all for the information.  Does anyone have tips on what I should do, like buying the parts, assembling, any type of tip would be appreciated. 

#7 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,057 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2014 - 05:59 PM

yes,  i would just get a playstation 4 and forget about gaming on a PC. it gets way too expensive and you can never get caught up and the money spent is not going to be renewable . and then it gets worse, chances are that getting all that expensive PC hardware/software in harmony to get the best results is going to be an ongoing  vortex of time lost in a black hole.. speaking of black holes, this steam entity where all the best titles are, almost certainly is going to infect PCs of the innocent and provide them with an expensive brick..

this is why i really like helping PC gamers that live outside of the US. especially saudi arabia. they have the disposable time and money to gear up a super gaming PC and enjoy it. but alas, most places around the globe, people really don't have it to waste.

there was a thread a few weeks ago, a user had a budget of $3000, by the time contributors digested the line-up, he was only half way there.

Edited by synergy513, 01 July 2014 - 06:22 PM.

Moore's Law : 4d Graph in Progress

#8 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 PM

Posted 02 July 2014 - 05:55 AM

I am going to assume you're based in the USA as you mentioned 'college'. The source of the components will be bought from well know major online retailer, Newegg.

CPU: AMD FX-8320 - $160 - This is a 8 core processor which can handle the latest games and graphics card in the market while allowing you to overclock it for more performance when you need it. 

Motherboard: Asus M5A97 R2.0 - $94.79 - Basic 970 chipset motherboard that has the basics you will ever need as it does not have the nice bell and whistles but it will get the job done which is serving the purpose of gaming. 

RAM: Crucial Baallstix Sport 8GB 1600mhz - $73 - 8GB of ram will serve you well as many games do not exceed that limit and you can easily upgrade to another 8GB ram stick in the future if you need.

Graphics Card: XFX Double D R9-280X - $320 - The graphics card is capable of playing the games you mentioned in the initial post at medium to high settings at 1080p resolution and it is a very quiet card at load when compared to the competition. 

SSD: PNY XLR8 Pro 120GB - $70 - This will help with the fast booting and snappiness of the system but remember to only install the operating system and programs only. 

HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB - $55 - Your games and storage of files like photos, music etc will be stored on this drive as the SSD capacity is not large enough to store these items. 

Power Supply: Corsair CX600M - $65 - 600W will allow you to expand in the future like adding more hard drives, upgrading to a higher end graphics card etc and it is modular meaning the cables are detachable, so cable management should be much tidier. 

Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST - $20 - A simple drive optical drive.

Case: Corsair Carbide 200R - $60 - Solid case with plenty of expansion options and also a reasonable amount of cooling options as it include a rear 120mm fan.  

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 64bit OEM - $100 - It has been proven that in general, Windows 8 does perform better in games then Windows 7 and also the tile interface can avoided as by default when you boot up, it will directly go to much loved and known desktop screen. 

Total: $1017.79 (Excluding shipping, taxes and rebates)

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users