Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help Me Troubleshoot!

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#1 Jigglesnorts

Jigglesnorts

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 AM

Posted 30 June 2014 - 06:02 PM

I have a Lenovo y580 that I bought used. Specs:
Nvidia Geforce 660m
​Intel I7 3630 QM 2.4 GHz
256GB SSD (Booting Windows from SSD), 1TB HDD
8GB RAM

Here is the problem: The laptop randomly shuts off, approximately once or twice an hour. There is no BSOD, it just goes black. Of course, anyone's first guess would be an overheating problem, but I have monitored the temperatures under stressed tests and they are not near hot enough to crash the laptop. 

The event logs give me no clue as to what happens because nothing was reported immediately before the crash, and there is no crash dump created even though they are enabled. 

I didn't have this issue for the first few days after I bought it, but it probably started happening 4 or 5 days after I bought it. The previous owner said it had been sitting in his closet for over a year because he didn't have time to use it (he has a tower for his work stuff).
Eventually I did a memory test booted from a USB drive. It ran once through, and I decided to run it again (I don't know why). It crashed the second time...booted from a usb stick. Eventually I got to booting in safe mode, and it crashed during safe mode as well. I have tried EVERYTHING in terms of checking drivers, and I'm pretty sure that's not the issue after having the laptop crash during a usb stick boot and during safe mode. 

It came with windows 8 installed and when it started crashing and after some troubleshooting, I tried windows 7, to no avail of course. Still crashing. I am about to try installing windows onto my HDD to see if maybe my SSD is the culprit?

My only guess left is that it is a bad motherboard, which would be very unfortunate. Worst $1000 bucks I ever spent so far. 

Please help!

Edited by Jigglesnorts, 30 June 2014 - 06:17 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 AM

Posted 01 July 2014 - 03:43 AM

I would troubleshoot RAM for possible problems before going into the MB quagmire.

#3 Jigglesnorts

Jigglesnorts
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2014 - 10:50 AM

I have actually run Memtest86 twice, and it didn't find any issues. I'm gonna try to use some old ram I have laying around and see if that makes a difference.

#4 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2014 - 10:56 AM

How about drivers?  Did you get all the drivers from the motherboard & GPU web sites?  If not, that's a likely problem.

Good luck.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#5 Jigglesnorts

Jigglesnorts
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2014 - 11:04 AM

I have downloaded the drivers from the Lenovo website, and I have used the drivers from the manufacturers website. I did this process on both Windows 8 and 7, and it didn't help. Also, if it is crashing in safe mode and through a usb boot, wouldn't that rule out third party drivers?

#6 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2014 - 11:16 AM

Safe Mode still uses drivers but I agree booting from the flash drive would eliminate them.  How about the fact that the RAM test crashed the 2nd time you ran it; doesn't that make you suspect a marginal DIMM?  If it is, that's probably the cheapest thing to replace.

Good luck.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#7 Jigglesnorts

Jigglesnorts
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2014 - 11:22 AM

I suppose RAM is still a possibility. I just switched out the RAM from an older laptop, and I am currently using it to run. I will post back if/when the next crash happens.

Edited by Jigglesnorts, 01 July 2014 - 11:22 AM.

#8 Jigglesnorts

Jigglesnorts
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2014 - 12:44 PM

Tried other ram, Lenny still crashed. I even tried unplugging my mouse, of course to no avail. I'm really running out of ideas.

#9 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2014 - 01:49 PM

Have you tried removing the battery and running only from the power adapter? Also have you tried running from the battery only and the power adapter unplugged?

It is possible after sitting for year the battery is bad. Lithium Ion/polymer batteries do not do well without being charged for long periods of time, if they dip below a certain voltage it disables/locks the battery. If the battery isn't working it might put more load on the power adapter. If the power adapter gets too hot it may go into protect mode and without a battery the computer would shut off.

Edited by zingo156, 01 July 2014 - 01:55 PM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#10 Jigglesnorts

Jigglesnorts
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2014 - 02:34 PM

I have tried both of those, just battery and just adapter, and still crashes on both. I have also tried booting windows from my HDD, and booting from my SSD with my HDD unplugged.

#11 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2014 - 02:57 PM

Have you tried changing the power options (advanced settings), set it to high performance rather than balanced or lenovo's settings.

Please download and run speccy so we can get a better idea of the hardware:

• Go to Piriform's website, and click the big download.png button.

• Next, click Download from Piriform.com (the FileHippo link requires an extra click). Or if you want to use a portable version of Speccy (which doesn't require installation), click the builds page link and download the portable version.

• You will now be asked where you want to save the file. The best place to put it is the Desktop, as it will be easy to find later.

• After the file finishes downloading, you are ready to run Speccy. If you downloaded the installer, simply double-click on it and follow the prompts until installation is complete. If you downloaded the portable version, you will need to unzip it before use. Right-click the ZIP file and click Extract all. Click Next. Open up the extracted folder and double-click on Speccy.

• Once inside Speccy, it will look similar to this (with your computer's specifications, of course):
    p22004369.gif
  • Now, at the top, click File > Publish Snapshot
  • You will see the following prompt:
    p22004371.gif
  • Click Yes > then Copy to Clipboard
    p22004372.gif
  • Now, once you are back in the forum topic you are posting in, click the p22004370.gif button. Right-click in the empty space of the Reply box and click Paste. Then, click Add Reply below the Reply box.
  • Congrats! You have just posted your specs!

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#12 Jigglesnorts

Jigglesnorts
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2014 - 07:32 PM

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/zbOk3pq13vHRyHwZfDfEXJa

I noticed that it crashes right at 30 minutes from when I start the laptop. 
I have, however found a solution (kind of)

I took out one of the RAM sticks, and it still crashed after 30 minutes. Then I put the stick in the other slot, and it hasn't crashed since. Does this mean my RAM port is bad?

#13 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,049 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2014 - 08:28 PM

You would be surprised how many issues go away by just re seating peripherals.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#14 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 AM

Posted 02 July 2014 - 06:18 AM

I took out one of the RAM sticks, and it still crashed after 30 minutes. Then I put the stick in the other slot, and it hasn't crashed since. Does this mean my RAM port is bad?

Hmmm interesting, that might be the case here but i'd still wait and see if the issue occurs again. 

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#15 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2014 - 07:23 AM

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/zbOk3pq13vHRyHwZfDfEXJa

I noticed that it crashes right at 30 minutes from when I start the laptop. 
I have, however found a solution (kind of)

When you ran memtest86 before the second time, how many passes did you let it run? It would be a good idea to let it run through a minimum of 3 passes but much better to run it overnight. It could be the ram slot that is bad or even the memory controller in the cpu... I would test each stick in the suspected slot by itself, if the slot or cpu memory controller is bad, both sticks should cause the same crash in that suspect slot. It would be pretty tough to determine for certain if it were the board or the cpu memory controller without testing that cpu in a known good mainboard or putting a known good cpu in your current board.

Edited by zingo156, 02 July 2014 - 07:23 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users