Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 restore after hard drive failure, black screen after boot.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 esew

esew

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 AM

Posted 30 June 2014 - 05:12 PM

My receptionist's PC stopped working this morning, after a standard Monday morning reboot and I found that the hard drive wasn't being recognized. The hard drive was making some interesting noises, so I figured it was bricked. Some background; Six months ago the hard drive that came with this computer started having errors, so I backed it up and created a restore point and installed a new hard drive which I restored to. Everything has been fine since that. I got a new hard drive today and installed it. I booted to a windows 7 rescue boot CD and was able to restore to last Friday's restore point without any errors. Once the Windows 7 restore finished and rebooted, it began printing to a dot matrix printer we use for invoices. I paused the printer and went to look at the PC to find a black screen. It appears to be running (evidenced by the printing from whatever was left in the printer spool), but I was getting nothing on the screen. I rebooted and the CMOS comes up and outputs to the screen, but once it goes to boot into windows it blacks out again (after the "Starting Windows" animation). I rebooted to the rescue CD and that boots fine, outputs to the screen without a problem. I understand that all of this points to a graphics issue (on-board graphics card which has not changed since purchasing the PC). I've tried every variation of booting to safe mode and booting normally. I'm now running the restore again (took two hours last time). Just looking for some pointers on what I might be doing wrong. This computer has all of my company's Quickbooks data on it along with a lot of other important company information. Any idea how to fix this?

Thank you!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,435 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:48 AM

Posted 30 June 2014 - 06:47 PM

FWIW:  Actually, I think QB stores all customer data online from what I've seen...the customers seem to only have the program and some shell files but I believe the actual data is at the QB site.  See Online Backups .

As to your video issues...I would do the normal test of first replacing current monitor with a different one.  If that one reflects nothing visual, then you know that the problem is the system, not the monitor.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users