Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Raid 0 Setup Problem

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Jackpine

Jackpine

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 PM

Posted 29 May 2006 - 08:49 AM

Although I have studied the motherboard manual, I am not sure how to configure my two data drives as RAID 0. This is what I have done so far:

WD 250MB SATA2 installed on SATA1 (red). IDE Configuration set to Standard IDE. Windows XP loaded onto that drive. Windows XP runs fine.

Now, I want to install 2 WD 250GB SATA2 drives and configure them as RAID 0. I am thinking that I plug them into the SATA3 and SATA4 (black) connectors. According to the mobo manual, I have to change the IDE configuration in BIOS to Configure SATA as RAID before I can set up the RAID 0 using the Intel Matrix Storage Manager Option ROM Utility.

But if I do that, what happens to the Standard IDE setting I had previously for my boot drive? Won't that change?

I really need some guidance here because I am at a loss on how to do this.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:22 PM

Posted 29 May 2006 - 04:37 PM

I'm trying to understand what you are trying to accomplish.

RAID 0, striping, requires two drives. Are you going to eliminate your first drive, and just use these two? Are these two drives in addition to the first? If the are additional, what are you going to use them for, storing data? Or do you intend to install an Operating System on them for a dual boot system?

Also, it is imperative that we know the manufacturer and model number of your motherboard.

Edited by Albert Frankenstein, 29 May 2006 - 04:38 PM.

ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#3 Jackpine

Jackpine
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2006 - 05:26 PM

Also, it is imperative that we know the manufacturer and model number of your motherboard.

OK, sorry. I have an Asus P5LD2 Deluxe motherboard.

I'm trying to understand what you are trying to accomplish.

I have three WD 250GB SATA 3 hard drives.

I want to have 1 HDD as my boot drive, loaded with Windows XP.

I want to have 2 identical HDDs configured in RAID0, to be used as a data drive.

This mobo has 4x7pin SATA connectors SATA1 and SATA2 (red), and SATA3 and SATA4 (black). These are supported by an Intel ICH7R SouthBridge.

I can't find anything in the mobo manual about having to load drivers before configuring this arrangement.

Some detailed steps would be greatly appreciated.

#4 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:22 PM

Posted 29 May 2006 - 08:49 PM

Well, the Asus website was no help as they only offered two manuals, not very detailed, one in Chinese and one in multi-languages, but English was not one of them! So I have no English manual.

I think you are on the right track in how to set it up.

As I recall, you must enter the bios and change a setting.
Then you need to install a driver from your mobo driver cd.
Then, usually at bootup, you will be prompted to enter the RAID setup by hitting an F key, then set up a RAID 0 array.

But I am sorry I cannot be more exact on the instructions. You could try contacting Asus, or post in their forums for a more accurate answer.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#5 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2006 - 08:48 AM

Hi jackpine

I can't find anything in the mobo manual about having to load drivers before configuring this arrangement.

All your mainboard drivers and utilities will be on the ASUS cd included with the board.
It is the first thing you should do after the OS is installed.
1. Connect your boot drive to SATA1, format and install windows.
2. Install mainboard drivers and utilities from the ASUS cd.
3. Connect your other two drives for your raid setup on SATA3 & 4.
4. Enter cmos setup and configure the two drives as a raid setup.
5. Double check boot order.
How to do all this is clearly stated in the manual. :thumbsup:
Pages to note:

4-16
5-17
5-19, 20, 21, 22.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users