Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Compaq netbook doesnt boot

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Kowaiser

Kowaiser

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 PM

Posted 30 June 2014 - 11:46 AM

Well, it does, but doesnt load the operative system. Let me give you the specs and the details:

model: compaq mini cq10-400
CPU: Intel Atom N450 1.66 GHz

Ram memory: 1 GB
Operative system: Windows Xp home edition, but it's irrelevant, i want to format it.

The issue is the following, the computer turns on, shows the POST and then starts the boot procedures. It detects the hard drive, Windows starts loading, and then freezes at some point while is still loading. I do not see how it finishes booting.

Without doing any diagnostic, I foolisly assumed that the OS was faulty, so I grabbed the windows 7 install USB i made myself a few months ago and tried to format it. It booted properly from the usb, i could choose the language and get to the advanced installation part where i could choose what to do with the hard drive. As soon as I tried to format the disk, the computer froze. I would like to tell also, that when i say that the comuter froze, it doesnt mean that it crashed, it doesnt show me an error message or BSOD, or anything. It just stays there, completely inresponsive to anything. I'm not able to move the mose, not even the Caps lock work.

Suspecting myself something serious, i made on the spot two bootable USB drives, one with Hiren's boot CD and one with an ubuntu live CD. The mini windows XP fro hiren's does the same that the windows on the hard drive. Starts loading and freezes on the middle. With ubuntu it freezes before the screen can show me anything. I already suspected the RAM being faulty, so i already did a memcheck, which showed no errors. I'm currently analyzing the hard drive surface on a carry disk conneted to my own personal computer.

As an extra information, i would like to add that the BIOS becomes a bit unresponsive when i have a Flash drive connected to the USB. IS it possible that the BIOS is faulty and that is preventing me to boot a proper OS?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,438 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 PM

Posted 30 June 2014 - 12:11 PM

Download the bootable version of Partition Wizard. Download Rufus and create a bootable USB flash drive by selecting ISO image in the dropdown box. Browse to the iso by clicking the folder. Press Start. Boot the USB. Do a wipe of the drive (Quick). Then try to install Win7 again. If it still freezes, I would use Seatools for DOS, create a bootable USB and check the drive.

rufus_en.png

Note: Win7 on a netbook might be kind of slow.

Check these linux distros for a netbook as an additional option. Linux lite or Linux Mint 16 Xfce would work nicely.

Edited by JohnC_21, 30 June 2014 - 12:12 PM.

#3 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2014 - 12:14 PM

It's pretty rare not to be able to boot Ubuntu from a disc.  Do you think your CD/DVD drive could need cleaning?  If it hasn't been cleaned in over 12 months, that could be what it needs.  Cleaning discs are inexpensive at stores selling computers.  Have you considered putting Ubuntu on a flash drive?  That would seem to be worth trying.  These symptoms also make me wonder about your hard drive.  I was about to suggest Seatools for DOS, but I see John_C just beat me to it!  Be aware that when you create the flash drive with Ubuntu, it'll wipe anything else you have on it.

Good luck.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#4 Kowaiser

Kowaiser
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2014 - 01:53 PM

I'm starting to believe that the motherboard is faulty on the graphic chipset, or on the BIOS, or maybe even the Microprocessor. I'm basing me on the fact that sometimes the netbook refuses to turn on when the USB stick is connected.

Anyways, regarding what you guys proposed:

Download the bootable version of Partition Wizard. Download Rufus and create a bootable USB flash drive by selecting ISO image in the dropdown box. Browse to the iso by clicking the folder. Press Start. Boot the USB. Do a wipe of the drive (Quick). Then try to install Win7 again. If it still freezes, I would use Seatools for DOS, create a bootable USB and check the drive.

I downloaded Partition wizard prepred bootable USB with rufus and booted. It booted, but then froze at the splash screen. I also tried with Gparted (From my Hiren's boot USB) and it froze when the resolution changed. Unfortunately rufus is not compatible with the seatools for DOS iso, but, i could prepare the flashdrive with Xboot. Again, it froze while scanning for services with the last message being "Scanning for devices on intel ICH7..."

It's pretty rare not to be able to boot Ubuntu from a disc.  Do you think your CD/DVD drive could need cleaning?  If it hasn't been cleaned in over 12 months, that could be what it needs.  Cleaning discs are inexpensive at stores selling computers.  Have you considered putting Ubuntu on a flash drive?  That would seem to be worth trying.  These symptoms also make me wonder about your hard drive.  I was about to suggest Seatools for DOS, but I see John_C just beat me to it!  Be aware that when you create the flash drive with Ubuntu, it'll wipe anything else you have on it.

Good luck.

This is a small netbook with no CD/DVD drive. I have been booting with USB drives all the time, and it didn't work.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,438 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2014 - 02:00 PM

I'm starting to believe that the motherboard is faulty on the graphic chipset, or on the BIOS, or maybe even the Microprocessor. I'm basing me on the fact that sometimes the netbook refuses to turn on when the USB stick is connected.

I think you are right there. Can you take out the RAM and reattach? Freezing up at at at the splash screen is either the above or maybe a RAM problem.

#6 Kowaiser

Kowaiser
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2014 - 04:18 PM

I think you are right there. Can you take out the RAM and reattach? Freezing up at at at the splash screen is either the above or maybe a RAM problem.

I already did, before opening this thread. I also did test throughfully the ram, and i even installed one of the rams of another computer (The one I'm using right now) and got the same results.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,438 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2014 - 04:34 PM

Then I would definitely say it's a hardware issue that you posted. The only thing I would think to do would be a complete teardown and rebuild  looking for anything out of the ordinary. It may even be an overheating problem.  But, I don't know if it would be worth it.

HP Mini 110 and Compaq Mini CQ10 - Maintenance and Service Guide

Troubleshooting Guide

#8 Kowaiser

Kowaiser
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2014 - 04:39 PM

Okey then, It's a bit dark now here, so i will start with the complete disassembly in the morning. I will post results.

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,438 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2014 - 04:41 PM

Sounds like a plan. I would look to make sure the Fan is spinning if that is possible.

#10 Kowaiser

Kowaiser
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2014 - 05:26 PM

Ok, sorry for the delay, i have been busy with other things and i totally forgot.

I disassembled the computer completely and turned it on. I got obviously the same results as before, and physically speaking seemed to look ok The lights turned on OK for the bloq mayus and other things, the fan spins perfectly until i take the steps required to make the computer freeze (Change resolution, try to access the hard drive) at which point stops spinning, frozen with the rest of the netbook.

It DID have, however, a slight, faint, burnt smell near the processor, so i have (probably without enough evidence) dismissed it as the motherboard being damaged and left it aside. If someone else can provide any idea, awesome, but if no one else can provide any other step for troubleshooting, then i will give this one up.

Thanks anyways for all your attention.

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,438 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2014 - 06:30 PM

When you got to the Fan/Heatsink did you pull it off the CPU. If you have any thermal paste, clean the CPU and apply a new layer of TIM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users