Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help with identifying interface on CTX International EZ Book internal drive

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ewullner

ewullner

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 PM

Posted 30 June 2014 - 11:02 AM

I'm trying to identify the interface on this internal drive that came out of an older than dust laptop running Windows 95. The notebook was an EZ Book 700 series by CTX International. (i know it's 20 years old)  The model number on the drive is DK225A-21.   The machine boots but has 1000s of files I would like to get off the laptop.   I thought maybe an interface-USB would be faster than coping files to 100s of diskettes.    Thank you so much.

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 PM

Posted 30 June 2014 - 11:20 AM

That drive is a Hitachi 2.5" IDE drive holding 1.2 to 5 GB of data.  I'd get an enclosure for it and plug it into a USB port and copy whatever I wanted from it.  The enclosures cost around $20.

Good luck.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#3 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 PM

Posted 30 June 2014 - 11:30 AM

I believe that the interface You are showing is plugged onto the actual hard drive as identified by wpgwpg.

The actual drive should have two rows of pins. These pins are both the data interface (IDA or ATA) and the power for the drive.

Be careful how you hook up the USB interface for that reason.

It should look like this

Good Luck

Roger

Edited by rotor123, 30 June 2014 - 11:31 AM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users