Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

IE v11 unable to make downloads! :-/#

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 oreofudge

oreofudge

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 PM

Posted 30 June 2014 - 09:28 AM

Hi,

My sister's laptop runs "Windows 7 Home Premium Service Pack 1 (X64)".

It recently got cleaned with the help of a moderator in this forum due to some malware/virus activity -it now runs fine- the only issue that came up during the fix-up was that I wasn't able to download and install anything using "Internet Explorer Version 11", I had to do it using Chrome.

My sister enjoys using IE, but being unable to use it to its fullest renders it "useless". I instructed her to avoid it until I could make it work fine again, but I haven't been able to do so, not resetting to its default values, any clues or workaround will be very much appreciated, thanks in advance! ;-]#

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2014 - 10:45 AM

Try running SFC.  Click Start and type CMD in the search box, then right-click CMD.EXE and click Run as administrator.  Then from the command prompt type sfc /scannow.  If that doesn't fix the problem, you could see if she'd like Firefox.  If you still have the problem, you could always restore to factory settings using the procedure in the user guide.

Good luck.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#3 oreofudge

oreofudge
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2014 - 01:26 PM

Tried the recommendation above to no avail. She indeed has used Firefox, but with Chrome things are good, in anycase will like to solve the IE issue, it should be able to run with no probs.

So I'm still waiting a solution, thanks.

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:03:45 PM

Posted 30 June 2014 - 02:23 PM

Try a reset of IE.

Start menu/Control Panel/Internet Options

Advanced tab.

Reset Internet Explorer settings is at the bottom of Advanced.

Click Reset.

You will asked to confirm that you want to Reset. At this point, you can either delete personal
settings or keep them.
When you reset Internet Explorer you can uncheck Preserve Favorites and you will not lose them.

Preserving Favorites has nothing to do with bookmarked pages. In this case it refers to things such as your home page (which will be changed to MSN if you have a different homepage), saved sign in names and passwords, default search provider (will be changed to Bing) and other things related to how you have IE set up.

If IE is open, you will have to close it before it will reset.

After the reset, try to download a file.

Post the results.

#5 oreofudge

oreofudge
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2014 - 02:40 PM

Yes, I reset has also been done with no luck.

#6 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:03:45 PM

Posted 30 June 2014 - 05:34 PM

Take a look at the security settings.

Once again, open Internet Options.

Under Security level for this zone click Custom Level.

Scroll down the list to Downloads.

Check to see if downloads are enabled. If not, tick Enable then click OK.

Click Yes when asked if you want to change the setting.

If you do not get an error message stating your settings do not allow downloads, it's not likely downloads are disabled. But then again, Windows has a mind of its own and I suppose it would be possible to NOT get it when downloads are disabled.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 30 June 2014 - 05:36 PM.

#7 oreofudge

oreofudge
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2014 - 12:46 PM

I followed your new instructions and saw that "Download" was enabled, I did a reset anyways and still not working. Also, when trying to "View Downloads" (Ctrl+J) does not bring up any window. :-[#

#8 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,226 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2014 - 01:57 PM

Try running IE with no add-ons. If you can download using the stripped-down version of IE 11, then it's an add-on to the browser that is causing the issue. You'll have to go through and disable all the add-ons, then add them back one by one until you've identified the problem add-on.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/17620.internet-explorer-troubleshooting-add-on-problems.aspx

#9 oreofudge

oreofudge
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2014 - 02:23 PM

I tried SFLATECHGUY's suggestion and still not able to download any files with this user; I did try with another user and I was able to download files there, any new suggestions?

#10 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,226 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2014 - 02:28 PM

If you can download with one user profile and not another, it means the user profile that can't download is corrupt. Given thatthe computer was infected, that's not surprising.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/forum/ie10-windows_7/unable-to-download-files-through-internet-explorer/093569b5-7b97-4852-aa0b-44ace204b82b

How to fix a corrupt user profile: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/fix-corrupted-user-profile#1TC=windows-7

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users