Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No sound and laggy video in Windows 8.1

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 decemberboy

decemberboy

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 AM

Posted 30 June 2014 - 09:18 AM

Hi, I'm hoping for some help regarding an issue I have with a laptop I own. I bought the laptop almost five years ago so realise its quite an old machine but on the whole it still runs just fine. I bought it with Vista installed and then upgraded to Windows 7 and last week installed Windows 8.1 Pro. However since the install I haven't been able to get any sound through the laptop speakers nor through headphones, also when I try to watch a video on Youtube it is incredibly laggy, almost in slow motion. 

The machine specs are:
Toshiba Satellite L350-20G
Intel Celeron Dual-Core T1600 1.66GHz
4GB Ram
Graphic Card Description: GMA 4500M

As I said I realise the machine is quite old but upon doing a compatibility scan to see if Windows 8 would work I got no warnings or anything and was told it would run fine. I have tried all the usual things like checking nothing is muted and when I go into Speakers, and do a test the green equaliser bar does move as if there is sound, I just cant hear it. I have uninstalled the driver and then Windows has reinstalled them upon start up but still nothing. Yet Windows says the drivers are up to date and working.

The Drivers that are installed are as follows: 
In Audio inputs and Outputs:
Speakers (High Definition)
Provider: Microsoft
Driver Date: 22/08/13
Version: 6.3.9600.16384
Digital signer: Microsoft
Value: Audio Endpoint

In Sound, video and game controllers the driver details are identical to the above apart from the Value is High Definition Audio Device. Am I missing some important drivers here? I did look on Toshiba's website but unfortunately couldn't find Windows 8 drivers for a model as old as mine. The specs of my machine are the same as when I bought it apart from there is now 4GB of Ram as opposed to 2. Everything else (load times, programs and apps opening etc) seems fine its just the lack of sound and laggy video which I suspect may be linked. Any help you can give me over this would be greatly appreciated. If you need further info just let me know

Many thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 AM

Posted 30 June 2014 - 09:45 AM

Welcome,

I don't want to be the bringer of bad news but in looking at the specs / reviews of the CPU it might be out of its league trying to run W8.1 and videos.

If Toshiba doesn't have drivers for your OS and model it could be an indication that combination isn't expected to work correctly.

Sorry

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 decemberboy

decemberboy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2014 - 10:06 AM

Thanks for the reply, I did suspect that afterwards but beforehand when I ran the upgrade assistant everything seemed fine which is why I went ahead with the installation. I've emailed Toshiba in the hope that they may be able to direct me to some compatible drivers but if not,  it's looking like a roll back to Windows 7.

#4 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2014 - 06:11 PM

Sounds like a hard lesson :(

Keep us posted

Dick E

#5 decemberboy

decemberboy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2014 - 10:43 AM

No luck, it seems it's all to do with Intel not making drivers for the graphics controller installed on the Toshiba laptop. Ah well you live and learn.

I've managed to reinstall Windows 7 on it and everything seems to be running fine again so no great loss. It was my old laptop that my stepson uses now so Windows 7 is fine for his needs I just wanted every laptop in the house running Windows 8, which leads to my next question(s)...

My wife has a Sony Vaio PCG-8112M laptop running Windows Vista. The hinge on the laptop broke a few years ago and we never got it fixed, thus it hasn't been used for a while, however it is a good machine so was wondering if I got it fixed whether that would run Windows 8.1? From what I can see it would be able to run it but I thought my old Toshiba could so I'm assuming nothing!  And if so would I be able to use the product key from the Toshiba install seeing as it is no longer in use on that machine? I did read that you can move the licence to a new machine but it can only be installed on one PC at a time. Is that correct? 

Edited by decemberboy, 01 July 2014 - 10:44 AM.

#6 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2014 - 04:45 PM

On the Vaio with vista I'd download the MS utility http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/2008.06.utilityspotlight.aspx?pr=blog.

Work your way through it and you should have the answers you need.

Keep us posted

Dick E

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users