Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computers screen goes blank after it starts up.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Apposionata

Apposionata

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 AM

Posted 30 June 2014 - 03:26 AM

hello everyone, any advise on what I could do to fix this problem will be great. 

So I have no idea what happened. My friends pc starts up great till it the windows logo. then when it lodes the desktop the screen is black.

the mouse moves but I cant right click for property or asses windows start up screen. I can however Go into task managers, switch users when I pres Ctrl+Alt+Del. 

I Ran it in safe mode and the screen is still black. 
Then I ran it Safe Mode with Command Prompt and did a system restore But that also does not seem to have dun the trick. I cant acses settings for resolutions or anything like that. 
I am not great with pc's so I am not really sure what I can do to fix this problem.

Thanks to everyone that took the time to reed and brain storm a bit on  what the issue could be 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 HairCut

HairCut

• Members
  • 235 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 AM

Posted 30 June 2014 - 08:45 AM

Is it a Windows 8 computer? I ask because getting to safe mode in Windows 8 is no mean feat for someone who is not great with PCs :)

First thing I'd do is run the computer from a live disk or USB just to check the hardware. I would use Ubuntu which I have lying about already but if you don't have a live disk, create one from here (Linux): http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop or UBCD (a Windows live disk) here: http://www.securitywonks.net/listing/view/3/UBCD-for-Windows

If there's no problem with the hardware then use the recovery options available on the computer. With Windows 8 there's the option to restore Windows without losing the user files. Press ESC on boot to find the options for recovery. (It's nevertheless a good idea to backup the user file first if you can - use the live disk and  USB drive - or you could use a USB live disk and burn the files to a DVDs)

If it's not Windows 8 then it depends greatly on which computer we are looking at.

Which computer Brand, model, Operating System?

Edited by HairCut, 30 June 2014 - 08:47 AM.

#3 Apposionata

Apposionata
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 AM

Posted 15 July 2014 - 12:54 AM

Yes Sorry I realized that I posted on Windows 8 instead of Windows 7.

It is a windows 7 pc. Don't know much more about it. I did give it a try its defnatly not hardware. it is a software problem but system restore is not working on it. I Played around with it more and I can get the screen to work. If I go to task managers proses and end the explorer proses and then start to run a new explorer. Then the screen goes on but when you switch the pc of and then on again it does the same thing again. So Told her to go take the pc and get someone to formate it for her. Thank you for your time :)  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users