Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Difficulty booting, sometimes second harddrive disappears

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 flux_ninja

flux_ninja

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 AM

Posted 30 June 2014 - 01:41 AM

Hi, I've had trouble booting, hopefully I can at least get some advice

• Most often I get get stuck at the "loading operating system..." after the mobo splash screen.
  • Sometimes it gets to the windows loading screen with an empty progress bar and hangs (when this happens I have to run startup repair after force-restarting)
  • Sometimes everything boots fine, but my second harddrive doesn't come up
  • Sometimes everything boots fine, but the second harddrive disappears after about 10 minutes
  • Sometimes (only today) after "loading operating system" it says "disk read error, press ctrl+alt+delete to restart" This I find the most worrying.
  • A few of the USB ports on the back stopped working
  • After I used system restore from the windows start-up repair, a bunch of firefox plugins broke (worked on reinstallation) and my notification area keeps filling up with blank icons that disappear when I roll over them. One of the weirder errors I've ever gotten.

I've replaced the SATA cables, so I'm sure it's not that. I don't think the issue is the drives themselves because everything works fine once I've booted, so I think it's the motherboard. I tried moving around which sata on the mobo the drives are connected to (they're not in RAID so it shouldn't matter right?), and got varying results. I bought the pc from ibuypower almost 2 years ago (parts warranty ran out after 1 year, labor runs out 1 year from now). It's $75 to ship it each way, so I'm trying to avoid that. Any advice is appreciated!!

OS - Windows 7 Home Premium

1 x Processor AMD FX-6100 CPU (6x 3.30GHz/6MB L2 Cache)

1 x Memory 8 GB [4 GB X2] DDR3-1600 Memory Module - Corsair Vengeance

1 x Video Card NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 - 2GB - Single Card

1 x Motherboard Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 -- AMD 990FX w/ 4x PCI-E 2.0 x16

1 x Power Supply 500 Watt - Corsair CX500 V2

1 x Primary Hard Drive Corsair Force GT 120 gb

1 x Data Hard Drive 1 TB HARD DRIVE -- 32M Cache, 7200 RPM, 6.0Gb/s - Single Drive - WDC WD 10EALX-009BA0

1 x Optical Drive 24X Dual Format/Double Layer DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW Drive - Black

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jozzyjay

jozzyjay

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:43 PM

Posted 30 June 2014 - 02:23 AM

hello 

i think you need to get a known good hard drive ,load windows in it and see if the will be a difference.

because the problem might be the harddrive 

#3 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 AM

Posted 30 June 2014 - 07:28 AM

Disconnect the secondary hard drive and try without it. Any bad component could be causing the issue but because the secondary drive is disappearing start with that. Your ssd may also have problems so the suggestion jozzyjay made is valid. Trying a fresh reload on a known good hard drive is never a bad idea. Disconnect all other drives when you do this.

I have a hard drive diagnostic test for your WD storage drive but I have never tested a corsair force ssd. Corsairs ssd toolbox can be downloaded from the links below.

This is a direct download link: Download Now  that was found here: http://www.corsair.com/en-us/force-series-gt-120gb-sata-3-6gbps-solid-state-hard-drive

It contains: SSD Toolbox v1.2.0.9 directly from corsair's website. Use this to test your ssd.

For now run through these tests and then if needed I will post the hard drive test called MHDD for your WD drive.

Edited by zingo156, 30 June 2014 - 07:34 AM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#4 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2014 - 07:30 AM

Also please download and run speccy:

• Go to Piriform's website, and click the big download.png button.

• Next, click Download from Piriform.com (the FileHippo link requires an extra click). Or if you want to use a portable version of Speccy (which doesn't require installation), click the builds page link and download the portable version.

• You will now be asked where you want to save the file. The best place to put it is the Desktop, as it will be easy to find later.

• After the file finishes downloading, you are ready to run Speccy. If you downloaded the installer, simply double-click on it and follow the prompts until installation is complete. If you downloaded the portable version, you will need to unzip it before use. Right-click the ZIP file and click Extract all. Click Next. Open up the extracted folder and double-click on Speccy.

• Once inside Speccy, it will look similar to this (with your computer's specifications, of course):
    p22004369.gif
  • Now, at the top, click File > Publish Snapshot
  • You will see the following prompt:
    p22004371.gif
  • Click Yes > then Copy to Clipboard
    p22004372.gif
  • Now, once you are back in the forum topic you are posting in, click the p22004370.gif button. Right-click in the empty space of the Reply box and click Paste. Then, click Add Reply below the Reply box.
  • Congrats! You have just posted your specs!

Edited by zingo156, 30 June 2014 - 07:32 AM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#5 flux_ninja

flux_ninja
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2014 - 08:24 AM

thanks! I'll run through these tests tonight and let you know

#6 flux_ninja

flux_ninja
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2014 - 06:02 PM

Alright here are my specs: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/Gq8gknvocDJcoe4YKPr5gGn

I'm rebooting now and I'll disconnect my auxillery harddrive, then I'll post the results of the corsair analysis thing

#7 flux_ninja

flux_ninja
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2014 - 06:38 PM

I shut down, disconnected my second harddrive, and restarted. The first time it booted it got to the windows screen, then went black and froze. The second time I got the "disk read error" message after the mobo splash screen. The third time it worked. So I guess that eleminates the secondary harddrive as the culprit.

Below are the results of the corsair test, nothing obviously wrong. I'll try finding another harddrive to test with, but it'd have to be USB because I don't have another SATA harddrive. Can you install windows and boot from a 16 gb flash drive? I'll find out.

http://i.imgur.com/MWMrNit.png

#8 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2014 - 07:27 PM

I have heard that you can create a bootable flash version of windows but I have never tried. Any usb windows would be pretty tough.

It looks like there were some bad blocks that were reallocated, these can sometimes cause OS instability. Use the command below to repair windows.

When you are booted into windows:

From the start menu button, in the search programs and files box type cmd, then right click on cmd in the menu and click run as administrator, then in the command box type    sfc /scannow   then hit enter, there is a space between sfc and /scannow after that runs let us know if any errors were corrected.

Both of the drives the SMART data was ok. Like you mentioned because the boot issue still happened with the secondary disconnected, it somewhat rules that part out. It seems more likely your ssd is bad, you have a AHCI driver or software problem or possible sata controller problem or lastly, a power supply problem.

Try to update your AHCI and chipset drivers for your motherboard. First create a restore point, you can google how to if you don't know how. Then download the driver from here: http://www.gigabyte.us/search/search.aspx?kw=GA-990FXA-UD3#pr-1

You will have to chose your exact mainboard it looks like there are 4 revisions and then chose your operating system (windows 7 64bit), then look for the AHCI driver, get the most up to date driver and install and restart.

Edited by zingo156, 01 July 2014 - 07:40 AM.

#9 flux_ninja

flux_ninja
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2014 - 07:59 PM

Ok, I'll try that and report back. I found an old harddrive sitting around, so I hooked it up and installed windows on it. I've rebooted ~10 times now without any issue. So I suppose that identifies the primary drive as the issue. Hopefully it's just a software issue and not a hardware one, but it feels good to make progress at least

#10 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2014 - 07:45 AM

The ssd did pass corsairs test so it may very well just be software/driver related, update those first.

If you still have problems after updating the drivers for your mainboard chipset and ahci drivers, your ssd could be the cause of every issue including the storage drive disappearing. Did you have the ssd plugged in when you loaded windows on the old hard drive? If it was unplugged and everything was fine, plug it back in and continue to boot from the freshly loaded windows on the old hard drive. If it starts to act funny with the ssd plugged in as a storage drive, I might start to suspect the ssd.

As a last thing to try, you could update your bios to the lastest firmware.

#11 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2014 - 02:04 PM

When you try 1 stick of ram, try it in both slots. You may have a bad slot. Resetting the cmos may fix the issue.

Any hardware can cause a post fault. If you remove the ram entirely and power the computer on do you receive any post fault beep code? If you do not I might suspect a problem with the mainboard.

Tear into the computer, remove all non-essential hardware, keyboard, wireless card, touchpad, webcam etc. Leave only a single stick of ram, the lcd panel, the cpu/cpu cooler, and power adapter attached (remove the main battery). Now try to power it on. If you still have no video and get blinking lights, you are down to one of those components being bad.

It is more likely to have a failed mainboard than a failed cpu from my experience. If it is a bad mainboard, generally it is not worth replacing unless you can find a new board. I never recommend buying used mainboards.

#12 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2014 - 02:26 PM

Sorry, that last post was supposed to go on a different thread you can ignore that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users