Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

User Accounts-something Strange

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 samia

samia

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:20 AM

Posted 29 May 2006 - 04:28 AM

Hello Everybody,

Something strange is happening to my computer. I've user accounts created, which appear when windows starts up, however, they all have no passwd now and when I go to control panel to re-create the passwds, nothing is displaying! Can someone p'se help me, what could have gone wrong?

Thanks in advance,

Samia

Edited by samia, 29 May 2006 - 04:33 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 AM

Posted 29 May 2006 - 07:35 AM

Do you happen to have any Sony software installed on this computer?

Or have you installed any software recently that you can relate to the time that this started happening?
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#3 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2006 - 10:06 AM

Do you know exactly when this began? (date)

#4 samia

samia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2006 - 09:50 AM

Thanks Guys,

I don't know when it started and I also don't know if there was software installed (thou I highly suspect it someone could have).

Sorry, I can't help much.

Thanks,

Samia

#5 C J.

C J.

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:20 AM

Posted 30 May 2006 - 02:30 PM

Thanks Guys,

I don't know when it started and I also don't know if there was software installed (thou I highly suspect it someone could have).

Thanks,

Samia

But all the accounts were Password protected before (incl the Administrator account?) Seems odd you wouldn't be able to recreate new passwords through the Users utility in the control panel. After running spyware /viral scan one other thought I have would be to run SFC /Scannow and make sure all the files are intact and are in their original versions. Failing that, possibly an "Inplace Repair" or "Non Destructive " Repair (If you have an HP for example). Make sure you backup all of your current data before doing the repair. IF your unsure how to go about this... consult the manufacturer of your PC.

#6 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2006 - 10:26 PM

Thanks Guys,

Thanks,

Samia

Try using Windows System Restore and choose the earliest date possible.
It cannot hurt anything and may help.

start>programs>accessories>system tools>system restore

If that is successful you will have to redownload all updates done since the restore date you used - Windows Updates, your av updates, etc.

Let us know.

#7 samia

samia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2006 - 02:50 AM

Hello Guys,

Thanks for your answers. I must apologise for the delay in reply, I'd travelled. Once again thank you for your help, I'll try the restore thing.

Samia

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users