Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

disk defragmenter not working

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 minnie1967

minnie1967

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:36 PM

Posted 29 June 2014 - 07:52 PM

Disk Defragmenter cannot start because the task scheduler service is not running
This is after a phone call from Ihelp teq, saying the computer was infercted and would fix it for $160. They fell for it..... The computer has been cleaned and everything is working except the disk defrag. On my computer under system, disk defragmenter, under log on, local system account is checked. On the problem computer this account is checked and grayed out. I ran sfc /scannow and no violations came back it was 100%. I've played with the settings, automatic and automatic delay, manual, it's running, I can stop and start it but the nag keeps popping up. Any advice would be great. I read all the microsoft topics but can't find anything for this one.

Edited by Orange Blossom, 29 June 2014 - 09:51 PM.
Moved from Windows 7 to AII. ~ OB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:36 PM

Posted 29 June 2014 - 08:18 PM

Try running chkdsk in Safe Mode.  If that doesn't work, try booting to the Command Prompt and running it.  If that doesn't work, boot from a repair disc and do a repair.  I'd be more specific but you neglected to say what version of Windows you're talking about, and I have to tell you my dog broke my crystal ball.  :hysterical:

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#3 minnie1967

minnie1967
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2014 - 09:34 PM

I fix TV's and deal with customers all day; I know about crystal balls, I've even asked if they thought Mrs. Cleo was my mother... Little sketchy on my part on the info, but I just fought windows will not configure updates reverting changes windows 7 on another computer to run Seagate dos tools and the hard drive didn't pass, about 15 hours in trying every possible "fix" out there. I'm brain dead right now. I'll post more info, It was a tiger direct refurbished almost positive 7 home premium. All updates current.

#4 minnie1967

minnie1967
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2014 - 10:19 PM

7 home premium sp1. Dell 32 bit. Right clicking run as admin, same issue. Unable to obtain a handle to the event log chkdsk in safe mode. dfrgui same issue. Normal mode my computer, C. right click my properties, tools, same issue. Command prompt as admin normal mode defrag c: -a -v invoking analyses on windows C operation completed successfully you do not need to defrag this volume.

Edited by minnie1967, 29 June 2014 - 10:43 PM.

#5 minnie1967

minnie1967
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2014 - 10:53 PM

Tried showing pastes of the status, won't allow it.

#6 minnie1967

minnie1967
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2014 - 12:58 PM

Found this, it did the trick!

If you still didn't solve the problem, try this (it worked for me) :  go to Start in search box type services.msc, then go down the list and find "Windows Event Log" if it's disabled, right click on it and go to properties and set it on Automatic. Press OK and right clik on Windows Event Log, press Start wait few seconds. Now find (also in services.msc) Task Scheduler. And right click on it and press start.. few seconds and disk defragmenter should be working ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users