Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

i think i have a serious virus / attack on my pc

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 duncano1

duncano1

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:24 AM

Posted 29 June 2014 - 02:22 PM

I was on the computer watching videos on youtube and on a voice call on skype, when the next moment my  girlfriend told me my voice was "lagging or slow" so i ended the call and tried to recall when i did the ringing sound was gone and it kept ending without the call landing. so i told her to call me and about 5 minutes later the call came through so i answered but the answer box stayed on the screen and nothing else happened. i also notice no new messages appear in the chat and it keeps scrolling to the top.

the web browser was also acting funny like when i pause the video and hit resume it wouldnt play.. i type something in google search bar and it types in the url box instead.

i did a computer scan with avg (not the free version) and it found 1 high threat virus and it said "hidden application' under virus description. so i deleted it and just did a second scan to be sure and rebooted the pc.

when it came back on it seemed normal but the browser still is acting funny and skype is not working properly with calls

i just need help to ensure the virus is gone or im not being attacked as we speak just i am really unsure what is happening

if someone has any advice or help can you please get back to me

EDIT: i have also noticed.. if i make a call on skype to even the echo sound test. it makes my skype freeze and youtube videos begin to load (even if fully buffered) about 2 minutes later call ends with no response and video resumes..

Edit: Moved topic from Windows XP to the more appropriate forum.~ Animal

Edited by duncano1, 29 June 2014 - 03:09 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 PM

Posted 29 June 2014 - 02:52 PM

XP huh?  That's mighty risky in and of itself since MS dropped support for it 4/8/14.  But to check further you could first run Malwarebytes.  Other tools that could be of use would be AdwCleaner, Junkware Removal Tools, and TDSSkiller.  You can download all of these from BC here.

Good luck.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#3 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,856 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 PM

Posted 29 June 2014 - 05:40 PM

XP huh?  That's mighty risky in and of itself since MS dropped support for it 4/8/14.  But to check further you could first run Malwarebytes.  Other tools that could be of use would be AdwCleaner, Junkware Removal Tools, and TDSSkiller.  You can download all of these from BC here.

Good luck.

People keep saying that Support ended on 4/8/14 but in reality it ended in May right?  I think it was on May 5/2/14, I looked at my notes but they are so convoluted lol I can't tell.  I do not want to open Update Manager to check history as that uses MSIE and that is not the best thing to utilize right.  Either way as soon as the Updates came in for June we have become much more vulnerable as I understand it.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#4 InadequateInfirmity

InadequateInfirmity

I Gots Me A Certified Edumication

• Banned
  • 5,180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 AM

Posted 29 June 2014 - 05:49 PM

Please download Junkware Removal Tool and save it on your desktop.
  • Shut down your anti-virus, anti-spyware, and firewall software now to avoid potential conflicts.
  • Run the tool by double-clicking it. If you are using Windows Vista or Windows 7, right-click it and select Run as administrator.
  • The tool will open and start scanning your system.
  • Please be patient as this can take a while to complete depending on your system's specifications.
  • On completion, a log is saved to your desktop and will automatically open.
  • Please attach the JRT log.

Please download AdwCleaner by Xplode onto your desktop.
  • Close all open programs and internet browsers.
  • Double click on adwcleaner.exe to run the tool.
  • Click on Scan button.
  • When the scan has finished click on Clean button.
  • Your computer will be rebooted automatically. A text file will open after the restart.
  • Please post the contents of that logfile with your next reply.
  • You can find the logfile at C:\AdwCleaner[S1].txt as well.

Please download MINITOOLBOX and run it.

Checkmark following boxes:

Flush DNS
Reset FF proxy Settings
Reset Ie Proxy Settings
Report IE Proxy Settings
Report FF Proxy Settings
List content of Hosts
List IP configuration
List Winsock Entries
List last 10 Event Viewer log
List Installed Programs
List Users, Partitions and Memory size
List Devices (problems only)

Click Go and post the result.     

#5 czarboom

czarboom

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 AM

Posted 03 July 2014 - 03:04 AM

disregard, wrong forum redirected from OS page.

cz

Edited by czarboom, 03 July 2014 - 03:05 AM.

CZARBOOM 

"Never Stop Asking Questions, Question Your Environment, Question Your Government, above all Question Yourself.  We all lose when you Stop asking Why?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users