Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 8 frozen

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Kkendall55

Kkendall55

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 AM

Posted 29 June 2014 - 09:52 AM

My computer (Windows 8) has been hijacked by a "Money Pack" bug.  I've tried to get into safe mode, to analyze and remove it (shift + f8), but the OS won't let me get into safe mode.  Every time I boot up, I get through the system id page (while holding shift down & tapping f8); get through the windows ID page (same process); get to the desktop - no safe mode - then screen whites out - HEEEELLLLP!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Bonneville

Bonneville

• Members
  • 233 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 AM

Posted 29 June 2014 - 10:17 AM

Hi,

Windows 8 will not allow entry into safe mode the F8 way of entry. Microsoft thought to remove this option to speed up the boot system.............. :hysterical:

Take a look at this article, it may well help you, it certainly works.

Regards,

Tony.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/enable-the-f8-key-in-windows-8/

Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream ?

#3 Kkendall55

Kkendall55
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2014 - 10:27 AM

Hi Tony - thank you so very much for taking time to reply.  I tried the fix, but no go.  I got to the text box to access the command prompt, then whited out again.  I think this is a VERY malicious and clever bug.  Right now, can only access "Switch User and Sign Out" functions.  Thanks for your response!

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,659 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 AM

Posted 29 June 2014 - 12:07 PM

Do the steps shown here. In order to use Hitman Pro Kickstarter you will need to create it on a clean PC and you will also need an internet connection for Hitman Pro to run.

In order to boot the USB you may have to disable SecureBoot and Fastboot in the BIOS.

#5 Kkendall55

Kkendall55
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2014 - 01:05 PM

Hi JohnC - no go - downloaded HitmanPro, but can't override bugs lock-down. Can't stay on desktop long enough to switch to USB boot option.  Desktop comes on for 5 seconds, then goes white, with no functional keys, other than "Switch User" or "Log off."  No clue where to go from here?!?!  Thanks for your response and help!!!

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,659 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 AM

Posted 29 June 2014 - 08:37 PM

Sorry for the late reply, I lost track of this thread

Download the Kaspersky Rescue Disk and use the WindowsUnlocker option. You can burn the iso by double clicking it in Windows 7 or use Imgburn if you are doing it on a XP computer. Follow the steps here. If you want to use a bootable USB, you can use Kaspersky's utility or Rufus to create it. A CD may work better for you.

Kaspersky Rescue disk is linux based so it does not care about Windows.

Edited by JohnC_21, 29 June 2014 - 08:40 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users