Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Downloads

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Beaker77

Beaker77

• Members
  • 163 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:59 AM

Posted 29 June 2014 - 09:23 AM

Having gone through all the proper site and material judgement processes and checked the site URL with VT, I then download the item to my desktop.

But is it safe to  run ?

The only last thing I can do is to scan the desktop download item with my AV programs (I have a  choice of 3). If this desktop scan is clear, does it mean the item is safe to run ?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:59 PM

Posted 29 June 2014 - 09:41 AM

What it is that you downloaded to your desktop? Are you saying you have 3 AV's installed?

#3 Beaker77

Beaker77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 163 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2014 - 09:48 AM

What it is that you downloaded to your desktop? Are you saying you have 3 AV's installed?

It is a general download query I am referring to. Could be anything, but I am careful what I do download.

I am simply asking if a clean desktop scan of any downloaded item proves that it is safe to run.

Yes, I have 3 AV programs - my main online program is AV 2014 and I have 2 standalone manual selection programs of my choice.

Edited by Beaker77, 29 June 2014 - 09:49 AM.

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:59 PM

Posted 29 June 2014 - 09:56 AM

There is a solution. Take the downloaded file and submit it to

logo.png
VirusTotal is a free service that analyzes suspicious files and URLs and facilitates the quick detection of viruses, worms, trojans, and all kinds of malware.

https://www.virustotal.com/

You can check a file a URL or You can search

It gets scanned by 54 different AntiVirus software.

I hope this helps

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#5 Beaker77

Beaker77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 163 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2014 - 11:08 AM

There is a solution. Take the downloaded file and submit it to

logo.png
VirusTotal is a free service that analyzes suspicious files and URLs and facilitates the quick detection of viruses, worms, trojans, and all kinds of malware.

https://www.virustotal.com/

You can check a file a URL or You can search

It gets scanned by 54 different AntiVirus software.

I hope this helps

Roger

Silly me, I  use VT often for URL checks but overlooked the file scan choice. the answer was under my nose all the time and i never saw it.

Tried it out on one of my desktop programs and it worked perfectly.

Thank you for answering my elementary question. Solved.

Edited by Beaker77, 29 June 2014 - 11:43 AM.

#6 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2014 - 11:46 AM

I am glad to have been helpful.

Cheers

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,266 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2014 - 08:13 AM

Keep in mind that many programs come bundled with other free third-party software you download from the Internet (often without the knowledge or consent of the user). In some cases, they may be included in Installers or Downloaders found at hosting sites such as CNET, BrotherSoft, Softonic, FreewareFiles and Tucows. These bundled packages, installers and downloaders can often be the source of various issues and problems to include Adware, pop-up ads, browser hijacking which may change your home page and search engine, and user profile corruption. As such many of them are classified as Potentially Unwanted Programs (PUPs).

Anti-virus programs general scan for infectious malware which includes viruses, Trojans, worms, rootkits and bots. Potentially Unwanted Programs (PUPs), Potentially Unwanted Applications (PUAs) and Potentially Unsafe Applications do not fall into any of those categories and that is the primary reason some anti-virus programs do not detect or remove them. This also includes online file analysis services such as virustotal.com

To learn more about PUPs and how you get them, please read: About those Toolbars and Add-ons - Potentially Unwanted Programs (PUPs)
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#8 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 PM

Posted 30 June 2014 - 04:31 PM

You can also try this.

Anubis uses a variety of threat detection programs in order to provide the best malware analysis available.

Anubis - Malware Analysis Links - iSecLab

Edited by NickAu1, 30 June 2014 - 04:31 PM.

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,266 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2014 - 05:45 PM

And there is VirSCAN, Metascan Online, Camas Comodo...which may not detect all bundled software.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users