Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DNS servers keep resetting

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 SirSteel

SirSteel

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 AM

Posted 29 June 2014 - 07:45 AM

When I woke up this morning and turned on my computer, I had an issue connecting to the internet. Last ngiht everything was fine but today I was getting the error 'DNS servers not responding' and no webpages or anythign to do with the internet would load

After some digging around, I discovered that the problem was that my iPV4 preffered DNS server kept changing. No matter how many times I change it to 'Obtain DNS server automatically' or the preffered and alternate DNS servers to what they actually are, in about 30 seconds to 1 minute the preffered DNS server reverts back to 127.0.0.1

Everytime I change the DNS server settings I gain internet connection for about a minute and then it reverts back. I really need some help in fixing this, all other devices in this house are connecting to the internet fine except this PC.

I have ran a malware/virus scan and that brought up nothing, I have tried multiple other things but nothing seems to work. Any help here would be greatly appreciated and ASAP. I have to keep changing my DNS servers every minute and then refreshing the page, it's incredibly annoying.

I am connected wirelessly AND through an ethernet cable and BOTH the connections preffered DNS server keeps changing

An image of the DNS server settings and my ipConfig are uploaded

Help would be appreciated ASAP

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 InadequateInfirmity

InadequateInfirmity

I Gots Me A Certified Edumication

• Banned
  • 5,180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 PM

Posted 29 June 2014 - 05:26 PM

Please follow this guide.

http://www.ihelpforum.com/index.php?guides/speeding-up-your-internet-connection-vista-windows-7.44/

#3 Vals01

Vals01

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2014 - 08:13 AM

Hi Lazerchicken

Is that guide for resolving the DNS issues SirSteel mentioned? At first glance, it appears though it is talking about optimising your broadband speed.

Plesae could you reply as I'm experiencing the same problem.. The DNS setting keeps restting to 127.0.01... It's so frustrationg :(

#4 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,226 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 PM

Posted 02 July 2014 - 12:12 PM

This issue is often associated with a security application or service, or with malware.

Scroll down and follow the instructions for running Windows Sysinternals to identify the process or processes are monitoring port 53, the port used by DNS.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r27408353-Can-t-get-rid-of-DNS-127.0.0.1

A full antivirus scan may also be in order.

#5 davidmartin123

davidmartin123

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 AM

Posted 03 July 2014 - 01:42 AM

"DNS Server issue" is generally occured due to harsh VIRUS attack and We already experinced it. In our company, whole network has been compromised by someone and we don't have the choice to shutdown the process. After lots of Googling, we found an IT support company for outsourcing Network Security issues and they recovered and block intruders form our network. Thanks to http://www.entero.com.au/campbelltown-it-support

#6 Vals01

Vals01

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2014 - 06:31 AM

Thanks to all those who replied... I managed to resolve this by running the latest version CCleaner and going into the 'registry' and doing a clean. It found some strange entries and since deleting them my laptop has been fine. I've logged off/rebooted and the DNS settings are still set to 'Automatic'..

Hope this helps..

#7 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,226 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 PM

Posted 03 July 2014 - 09:46 AM

Hmmm. Glad to hear the issue is resolved, but...

Regarding registry cleaners:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/373006/registry-cleaners/

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_xp-performance/is-there-a-microsoft-licensed-registry-cleaner-i/b03cd0ad-a92c-41b2-9bf0-b7be06c43047

In short, Microsoft warns against using them, and they tend to cause more problems than they solve. The takeaway is when it comes to registry cleaners -- don't even.

Have you run a full antivirus scan? Changing registry settings won't solve the issue if it is malware. At some point, any lurking viruses will simply change those registry settings back.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users