Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unplayable FPS but decent system (i think)?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Alexuk1290

Alexuk1290

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 AM

Posted 29 June 2014 - 07:41 AM

Hey guys, my first time posting!

So basically my issue is I have utter poor FPS when trying to play 95% of games, here is a very brief list of what I can and cant play:

DayZ MOD - 28-45 FPS
COD 4 - 35+ FPS
Minecraft - 25+ FPS
Warband 27+ FPS 
- all on lowest settings

DayZ SA - 18 FPS
The Forest - 5 FPS
State of Decay - 19 FPS
Rust - 14 FPS
Planetside 2 - 9 FPS
- all on lowest settings

My brother and I have about 100 game on steam and we can honestly only just about play 10 of them.

Here are my specs, put a screenshot of my EAH 5450 GFX card too.

pc_specs.png

So what is the problem, what DO i need to upgrade, more detailed answers are welcome!

Thanks in advance

Alex

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2014 - 08:10 AM

Honestly, the HD 5450 graphics are not good enough for gaming in 3D with newer games.  The specs show the PC has a 300w PSU which will severely limit the graphics cards you can use with it, however they do state it is a standard ATX unit which means that it should be upgradeable.

So you would need to upgrade the graphics card and most likely the power supply.  I think an Nvidia GTX 750 or GTX 750Ti is about the fastest and most powerful card I'd consider without upgrading the power supply.  It's extremely energy efficient and very much faster than a HD 5450.

Edited by jonuk76, 29 June 2014 - 08:40 AM.

7sbvuf-6.png

#3 Alexuk1290

Alexuk1290
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2014 - 09:22 AM

Honestly, the HD 5450 graphics are not good enough for gaming in 3D with newer games.  The specs show the PC has a 300w PSU which will severely limit the graphics cards you can use with it, however they do state it is a standard ATX unit which means that it should be upgradeable.

So you would need to upgrade the graphics card and most likely the power supply.  I think an Nvidia GTX 750 or GTX 750Ti is about the fastest and most powerful card I'd consider without upgrading the power supply.  It's extremely energy efficient and very much faster than a HD 5450.

Thanks!

Could you tell me which one of these would be suitable?  http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/search-keywords/716_7054_70058_xx_xx/geforce+gtx+750/xx-criteria.html

#4 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 AM

Posted 29 June 2014 - 09:37 AM

Hi, rather then purchasing it from PCWorld, Scan UK has a much more larger range of graphics card to choose from and the EVGA GTX 750ti 2GB would be suitable for your system.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#5 Alexuk1290

Alexuk1290
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2014 - 10:16 AM

Hi, rather then purchasing it from PCWorld, Scan UK has a much more larger range of graphics card to choose from and the EVGA GTX 750ti 2GB would be suitable for your system.

Ok would it definitely make a big difference? MY current ASUS 5450 only cost me about £35 so im guessing it really is bottom of the pile.

Also am I perfectly safe to instal the new GFX card myself even though ive never done it before? 

#6 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2014 - 11:29 AM

They are really in a completely different league.  The HD5450 is good as a basic card for systems which don't have integrated graphics where 3D performance is not important. For example running office software or in a HTPC.  It's not a "gaming card" though.  The GTX750 and Ti are turning out performance that would have been top of the range a few years ago, but with very low power consumption.

Some comparisons:

HW Compare

GPU Boss

They are quite easy to install - how I would do it is:

1) Completely uninstall drivers for AMD HD 5450

2) Power down system and turn off at the mains and open the case

3) Remove HD 5450 by unscrewing the bracket that holds it in.  Release the latch on the PCIe slot and ease the card out of the slot.  DO NOT USE FORCE.  PCIe latches can in some cases be quite awkward.

4) Insert new card, ensuring it's firmly pressed into the slot.  Note most GTX 750'd occupy two card slots because of the width of the cooler.

5) Screw in the bracket to secure it in place.

6) Turn on system with monitor attached to test there is output from the card.

7) If all OK put cover back on case.

8) Install drivers for new card.

Edited by jonuk76, 29 June 2014 - 01:35 PM.

7sbvuf-6.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users