Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to install AMD drivers. Totally frustrated!

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Hemiram

Hemiram

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 AM

Posted 29 June 2014 - 07:08 AM

I have a Dell W7  Inspiron 15 laptop with a dedicated AMD video card that's a couple of years old and has been pretty much trouble free, until about 2 weeks ago. What started all the trouble was when I updated the video drivers to the latest ones (at that time). They failed to update the first time, but after I removed them and the AMD folder, it worked. There was a random freezing, just for about 1 second, every so often, but it annoyed me, so about a week or so ago, when a new driver is available prompt popped up, I tired to update to them. After they appeared to install, I got a "failed" entry in the log, The error was "You must be member of the administrators group". And since then, I can't reinstall the driver. I have tried running as an admin, creating a new user account/profile, etc, and it keeps failing. I got frustrated enough to try to restore it to the original drive image, but when I enter "system repair", I get nothing but a boot into Win 7. 

Anyone been through this, or have any ideas?

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2014 - 01:49 PM

Before doing anything else I'd back up any data I didn't want to lose.  Then I'd see if I could use System Restore to go back to before all this started.  If that didn't help, I'd get the discs to restore to factory settings.  If you don't have them, the procedure for creating them should be in your user guide on your hard drive.  If you don't have them and can't make them, you should be able to get Dell to send you a set for a small fee ($30 ball park).  

In the future remember the saying "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".   :thumbup2:

When you've gotten your system back like you want it, I urge you to get yourself an external hard drive and a good 3rd party backup program. You can set it up to do everything automagically at the time and frequency of your choice. 1 TB external hard drives are about $60 these days and a really good FREE backup program is the Easeus Todo Backup Free.  That can save you a lot of time and frustration the next time something like this happens. Sooner or later it happens to all computers for one reason or another.

Good luck.

Good luck.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#3 Hemiram

Hemiram
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2014 - 10:57 PM

Thanks for the reply. It is/was "broken", just not too badly, the random freezing annoyed the hell out of me. And it did seem to be getting worse as time went on.

I tried system restore twice and it failed both times, never really gave a reason. This is basically an entertainment PC, so it's no big deal if I do have to reformat, it's just the reinstallation of everything that is going to be a nightmare, just because of the time involved. I have a lot of big games on it from Steam, etc, and they took a long time to download on the wireless connection I have to use most of the time, at work. The backup drive is a good idea and I plan on getting one as soon as I buy the $1000 tires my car needs pretty soon.

Thanks again!

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 PM

Posted 29 June 2014 - 11:20 PM

Did you try rolling back the video driver by device manager?

Tekken

#5 Hemiram

Hemiram
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2014 - 11:16 PM

Yeah, it didn't work either. It's almost like something is blocking everything from working. I got so frustrated over this deal I just left the thing alone for a couple of days I will look around and see if there are any more fixes I can try and then order an image CD/DVD from Dell and start over from scratch. Right now, I'm missing the Blu-Ray playing capability more than anything else.

Thanks for trying to help. I haven't been this frustrated since the last Maxtor hard drive I bought died about an hour and a half after being installed. I lost every single Maxtor drive I had, including warranty replacements within a month of installing them. One lasted only until about 2 seconds after formatting it. On the other hand, I have some WD drives that are ancient and still work fine. I've never lost a WD drive in the 25 years I've used them.

#6 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 PM

Posted 06 July 2014 - 02:00 AM

Since the laptop must have experienced freezes during online games, it would be noted as first to check if there is a thermal event occurance by monitoring with either speedfan or HWMonitor during low and high resource applications. A newer chispet driver or Bios update if available for your laptop at Dell sometimes contains fixes certain issues. It could also be a loose RAM or just need reinserting firmly. A dry thermal compound on GPU or CPU that needs replacement or general maintenance cleaning for the board.

Tekken

#7 Hemiram

Hemiram
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2014 - 01:04 AM

Thanks for the reply. No, it wasn't a thermal issue, as rebooting it would cure it, temporarily anyway. It was just a random thing after a minute or so on certain games, the ones I played the most often, of course. The shooters in particular. BF3 was particularly annoying. I checked the temps and when the GPU temp was maxed out, I don't remember the exact temp off my head, it was doing fine, but a little bit later, when the temp had gone way down, it was doing it a lot. I haven't rebooted so often since I had my Dell 900MHZ Windows ME machine. I had an old PC with a similar issue years ago and a driver update cured it, so I hoped it would work on this problem too. That problem was a motherboard driver, but that was a brand new PC I had built with a just introduced MB, so it made sense that a driver would cure it. I'm going to call Dell tomorrow and see what's up with getting a drive image disc. If it's not ridiculous, that's probably my next move.

#8 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,010 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2014 - 02:16 AM

That's what I was going to say, contact Dell & see what they say. Sometimes, depending on the mood of the tech you reach, you may luck up & get it fixed (or replaced) for the shipping charges, 

Though it's too late now, whenever you buy a Dell, you should always request a free restore DVD, the main reason they supply these are because the original resinstall media that the customer can create, or a Recovery Drive, will only reinstall the OS to a drive the same size or larger than the original. Many installs SSD's, which doesn't void the warranty, provided nothing is broken in the process & a clean install media is needed. 

https://www.dell.com/support/diagnostics/us/en/19/nondiagnostichome?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&redirect=1&DoNotRedirect=y&redirect=2

And it's always best to purchase an extended warranty from SquareTrade, these are low cost, often online promo codes can be found for up to 40% or $30, whichever is greater, for up to a 4 year warranty. It's best to get as much as you can while new. 4 years of SquareTrade will cost less than 1 year od Dell's extended. The cool thing about SquareTrade, if the cost to repair is more than the current worth of the item, they don't ship a refurb (as most other store warranties does), they refund 100% of the purchase price within 5 business days & you can take that & use it to purchase today's technology. I've received 3 such refunds from the company w/no hassle. SquareTrade even pays for shipping & arranges for UPS pickup. 

http://www.squaretrade.com/laptop-warranty

This is for if you should purchase a computer in the future, or this one can't be repaired at a reasonable price & need to get another. You have 30 days from purchase to buy a plan. They cover many other items also, such a cell/smartphones, TV's, most all major electronics/appliances. 

It's my hope that Dell will do something to make this right. 

And as wpgwpg stated, backups to an external drive are your best protection against many failures, be it a drive (HDD/SSD), Windows corruption, or infection. It's very important to disconnect the backup drive while not in use, for two reasons. 

1) To prevent unnecessary wear to the external drive,

2) To prevent infections from corrupting your backups. The "Crypto" infections will also make your backups useless if connected. 

Hopefully this will work out. This is the unfortunate thing about portables over tower or SFF (small form factor) PC's, portables are far harder for the home user to repair. Many OEM's doesn't repair the one that was returned, rather they quick ship a refurb or open box of the same model or another of equal or higher specs & reinstall your HDD/SSD (if working). If a format of the drive is required to reinstall, the customer has to pay for data to be saved. Whereas towers & SFF's can be easily repaired with replacement components from Newegg, Amazon or eBay (or other suppliers). 

Good Luck in contacting Dell for a resolution.  :)

All the Best,

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users