Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Drivers need update or upgrade.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jippy

jippy

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 AM

Posted 29 June 2014 - 06:47 AM

Sorry for large print. I just joined this site so bear with me.

I get invites to update my drivers. After scan it says 50% of my drivers are out of date. My HP computer was made 2009. My computer does run slow and now I have to click on Ctrl+Alt to do anything. Do I really need to update 50% of my drivers to have a workable computer. Is 8 year computer on it's way out?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 AM

Posted 29 June 2014 - 08:23 AM

I generally wouldn't suggest giving any weight to the claims of driver updater/scanners. It's in their interest to convince you drivers need updating, for a fee. If a driver does need to be updated, almost without exception one can be sourced from the device manufacturer without cost.

However in my experience, video drivers are the most likely to benefit from updating, but then really only if a problem occurs, or if a version release provides a benefit like performance enhancement especially with specific games, or bug fixes that affect you. Otherwise, unless a driver has a bug, the hardware hasn't changed so the operational requirement of the driver also hasn't changed. In fact for older systems, the final stable driver release for a device can be years old, maybe even older than the computer. Driver scanners may either simply say drivers are out of date if they are dated more than a fixed timespan in the past, or if there is any driver available from a later date, which may be a beta release, not WHQL certified, not necessarily ideal for your computer etc.

If a system is becoming sluggish, it can be due to age issues like the hard drive beginning to throw errors, but it can also just be greater demands being placed on a system of limited capability, or some maintenance tasks not attended to. There is also the possibility of malware.

As a starting point there is a useful topic here:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/44690/slow-computer/

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 scotty_ncc1701

scotty_ncc1701

• Members
  • 520 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2014 - 09:49 AM

Sorry for large print. I just joined this site so bear with me.

I get invites to update my drivers. After scan it says 50% of my drivers are out of date. My HP computer was made 2009. My computer does run slow and now I have to click on Ctrl+Alt to do anything. Do I really need to update 50% of my drivers to have a workable computer. Is 8 year computer on it's way out?

Go to HP, look for your computer, and see what drivers, etc are there (dates, etc).  Only if the dates are newer, at HP, update the drivers.  Most manufacturers do have update monitoring programs for hardware drivers.  You also have to make sure that the messages aren't actually from HP.  But, your computer being about 5 years old, based (per your comment, "My HP computer was made in 2009"), I don't doubt there are some updates.

Best of luck.

Edited by scotty_ncc1701, 29 June 2014 - 09:51 AM.

#4 jippy

jippy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2014 - 07:51 PM

Thank you. Now I have something to work on.

As regards the quote "great minds"... We finished it in Ireland. "Great minds think alike, "but fools seldom differ." That always got a laugh.

I generally wouldn't suggest giving any weight to the claims of driver updater/scanners. It's in their interest to convince you drivers need updating, for a fee. If a driver does need to be updated, almost without exception one can be sourced from the device manufacturer without cost.

However in my experience, video drivers are the most likely to benefit from updating, but then really only if a problem occurs, or if a version release provides a benefit like performance enhancement especially with specific games, or bug fixes that affect you. Otherwise, unless a driver has a bug, the hardware hasn't changed so the operational requirement of the driver also hasn't changed. In fact for older systems, the final stable driver release for a device can be years old, maybe even older than the computer. Driver scanners may either simply say drivers are out of date if they are dated more than a fixed timespan in the past, or if there is any driver available from a later date, which may be a beta release, not WHQL certified, not necessarily ideal for your computer etc.

If a system is becoming sluggish, it can be due to age issues like the hard drive beginning to throw errors, but it can also just be greater demands being placed on a system of limited capability, or some maintenance tasks not attended to. There is also the possibility of malware.

As a starting point there is a useful topic here:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/44690/slow-computer/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users