Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer build malfunctioning: RAM?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Sebastiaan van Gilst

Sebastiaan van Gilst

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:36 PM

Posted 29 June 2014 - 05:02 AM

Hello,
I recently built a computer and it worked fine for a couple of months until one day I tried to turn it on and it immediately turned off again. It keeps trying to turn on every 6 seconds or so and every time shuts off after less than a second. I have gone through many troubleshooting procedures and I have reason to believe it may be a RAM malfunction but I cannot be certain. Is there anyway to know if it is the RAM?
Thank you very much for any help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 PM

Posted 29 June 2014 - 07:25 AM

Have you ruled out the power button on the case as being a problem, by disconnecting it?  You can then start it by using a metal object (screwdriver) to carefully short the two pins the power button was connected to together.  It sounds too simple, and it might be, but it's best to rule this out.

Have you ruled out the power supply as a problem, by testing with a known good one?

If you believe it is the RAM, if you are using more than one DIMM, remove them, and try them singly in turn to see if that gives any improvement.  Try more than one RAM slot also.  Make sure the RAM is firmly pushed into the slot.

Be sure to only handle the edge of the RAM and touch a bare metal part on the case frequently to discharge the static from your body when working inside a PC, or wear a grounded anti static wrist strap.

7sbvuf-6.png

#3 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,154 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 PM

Posted 01 July 2014 - 02:43 PM

The PSU might have issues.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

0 user(s) are reading this topic