Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Connected to Wireless Network but Cannot Connect to Web Pages intermittently.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Bulldawg23

Bulldawg23

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:05 PM

Posted 29 June 2014 - 04:00 AM

Help please.

I started having this problem around a month or go- I have no clue what, or if, anything happened then to cause this.  Here's the gist of it:

• I have a Lenovo laptop that connects to wireless networks(this has happened on multiple wifi networks) but will lose connectivity with the internet intermittently
  • usually I disconnect from the wireless network and then reconnect and it works for a bit and then goes out again
  • the entire time I am connected to the wireless network and can get in to the router
  • wired PCs on the network do not have this issue
  • like I stated, it's happened on more than one wireless network
  • I have run ping tests to the router and to google.com or 8.8.8.8 and it will not drop a single packet to the router but intermittently drops 20-60% of packets to google or 8.8.8.8(a Google DNS server)
  • this led me to think it a DNS issue- I have flushed the DNS cache to no avail
  • I have cleared the browser cache and cookies and it happens on multiple browsers
  • I have tried DHCP as well as static IPs
  • when closely looking at it, sometimes I see connecting to snapfish.com when trying to go to a website- this has me considering the possibility it's malware and if so, I can take this to the appropriate forum
  • I am in IT and very careful with my browsing but I do use the laptop to fight malware
  • I have run malwarebytes and Eset's online scanner and run MSE regularly and nothing has popped up very alarming
  • I should point out I have no issues when using the laptop through an ethernet wired connection

Any ideas?  Is it a networking issue?  Should I take this to the malware forum?

Thanks for the help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Bulldawg23

Bulldawg23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2014 - 05:38 PM

Win7 Pro is the OS.  Any thoughts or ways to troubleshoot this?

Thx.

#3 InadequateInfirmity

InadequateInfirmity

I Gots Me A Certified Edumication

• Banned
  • 5,180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 PM

Posted 30 June 2014 - 04:59 PM

Please run through this guide.

http://www.ihelpforum.com/index.php?guides/speeding-up-your-internet-connection-vista-windows-7.44/

#4 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,164 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2014 - 12:19 PM

Snapfish.com is a photosharing website. It's legit, not malware.

Based on what you've posted, it's an issue with either the wireless NIC or the driver for it. Have a look at it under Device Manager, make sure there's no warning icon for the wireless card, and to make sure the driver is up to date.

#5 Bulldawg23

Bulldawg23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2014 - 02:48 PM

Snapfish.com is a photosharing website. It's legit, not malware.

Based on what you've posted, it's an issue with either the wireless NIC or the driver for it. Have a look at it under Device Manager, make sure there's no warning icon for the wireless card, and to make sure the driver is up to date.

Thanks- this worked.  Windows said my driver was up to date but I went to Intel's site and they had a newer driver that seems to be working better so far.

And appreciate the link Lazerchicken.  Some good info there.

#6 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,164 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2014 - 03:46 PM

It never hurts to doublecheck even if Windows says the driver is good.
Glad that's resolved.

#7 Bulldawg23

Bulldawg23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2014 - 03:08 PM

Good to know. Thanks again!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users