Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Operating System on SSD, Everything Else on HDD...?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 HungryEyes

HungryEyes

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:58 PM

Posted 29 June 2014 - 03:45 AM

Hello!

I have just finished installing Windows 8.1 on my newly built computer with a bootable USB drive.

I have a 60GB SSD for the OS, and a 2TB HDD for data and storage, including programs.

However, I am still a rookie, and I installed Windows 8.1 on the SSD.  Everything worked fine, however, this put my my Program Files folder in the SSD, and I fear that everything will be downloaded to the SSD by default instead of the HDD.

Do I need to re-install Windows and do something different, or is there some other commonly used method for keeping bulky program files and non-OS files off of my SSD boot drive?

I have not downloaded anything yet, because I do not want to make any changes to the files before getting this resolved.  I have no important files to protect.

Thank you for your help!

- Adam

Edited by HungryEyes, 29 June 2014 - 04:00 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:58 PM

Posted 29 June 2014 - 01:17 PM

How did you install the operating system on the ssd?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 HungryEyes

HungryEyes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2014 - 05:36 PM

I selected my SSD during Windows installation to be the boot drive so that I could have faster startups/shutdowns.  However, Program Files, Program Files (x86), etc are kept on the drive with the Windows installation.

Since I plan on installing a good amount of programs, I fear that the 60GB SSD is going to be filled up rapidly.

I would like to somehow have my Program Files and installation files on my HDD, while keeping the OS alone on the SSD.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:58 PM

Posted 30 June 2014 - 09:37 AM

Everything in Windows will stay in the ssd, but the hdd can have programs installed and run from it.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 AM

Posted 30 June 2014 - 09:38 AM

I don't know if it's possible to move the entire Program Files directories to another drive.  It's a protected folder and Windows will normally stop you from doing that. Moving it will also probably break a lot of stuff.  Ideally you want your programs to run off the SSD anyway to get the best performance.  However most programs do allow you to choose to install to a different folder.  So if you have a program which takes up a lot of space (say a game) you just choose another folder at install time.  I have another directory for program files on my "E:" drive which is a 2Tb hard drive so is where the very large programs go.  I use my SSD for all programs except the extremely large ones.

I also moved my documents, movies, pictures, music, downloads and Appdata/Roaming folder to the hard drive (short how to here).  The last one can get large, depending on the programs used - it's hidden and typically holds program settings, databases and in some cases the application files themselves.  I've been unable to move Appdata/Local so far though as files are in use - it's on the to do list.

I think Windows handling of multiple disks/partitions leaves a lot to be desired compared to Linux (where it is very straightforward to put different elements of the OS on different partitions or drives) but it is what it is...

Edited by jonuk76, 30 June 2014 - 09:56 AM.

7sbvuf-6.png

#6 dennis96411

dennis96411

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 PM

Posted 30 June 2014 - 03:12 PM

What I did with my setup is using NTFS junction points to "redirect" my program files directories to another location. I moved my "Program Files" and "Program Files (x86)" folders to my secondary drive, then used the following command prompt commands:

mklink /d /j "C:\Program Files" "D:\Program Files"
mklink /d /j "C:\Program Files (x86)" "D:\Program Files (x86)"

Make sure to do this in system recovery mode when the system isn't being used. Also, make sure that your destination drive is fixed and does not change its drive letter.

#7 HungryEyes

HungryEyes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2014 - 02:47 AM

I am definitely interested in this idea!

I have a few questions about it:

1.) Is it best to do this while I have no programs yet installed, or can I do this with a few?

2.) Does this (or have you experienced) any adverse effects of doing this?

3.) What exactly does this command change, and how would I "undo" it should I want put it back to normal? Is there a location where these "NTFS junctions" are saved?

Thank you so much, and sorry for the questions!

- Adam

#8 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,556 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:58 PM

Posted 02 July 2014 - 03:12 AM

I have a 60GB SSD for the OS

Isn't that just a tad small for Windows?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users