Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 8.1 Update Issues

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 nPegler

nPegler

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 PM

Posted 29 June 2014 - 12:25 AM

I have an HP 1110nr laptop that I just recently loaded Windows 8.1 on  with no software loaded besides drivers.  After completing my first round of Windows Updates, the computer is unable to load.  When I restarted, it did the usual "Configuring Updates xx%".

Now I go to load my computer and see the standard BIOS screen, Windows 8 loading screen, then a black screen.  The black screen remains for between 5 and 10 seconds before it completely restarts back to BIOS.  I have attempted a complete clean install of the OS and repeated the process with the same effects.  Startup Repair option has no effect as well.  System Restore has no effect.  I have successfully restarted the computer about half a dozen times after installing the drivers into the OS.  The key factor seems to be completing the initial 958 Mb download of the first round of "Critical Updates"...

If an update is breaking the OS, how can I reset the update install process? I know in previous versions of Windows, if you had a corrupt update download, you could restart the process in order to account for this situation...

Edited by nPegler, 29 June 2014 - 12:27 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 YuriP

YuriP

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:41 AM

Posted 29 June 2014 - 05:24 AM

I have an HP 1110nr laptop that I just recently loaded Windows 8.1 on  with no software loaded besides drivers.  After completing my first round of Windows Updates, the computer is unable to load.  When I restarted, it did the usual "Configuring Updates xx%".

Now I go to load my computer and see the standard BIOS screen, Windows 8 loading screen, then a black screen.  The black screen remains for between 5 and 10 seconds before it completely restarts back to BIOS.  I have attempted a complete clean install of the OS and repeated the process with the same effects.  Startup Repair option has no effect as well.  System Restore has no effect.  I have successfully restarted the computer about half a dozen times after installing the drivers into the OS.  The key factor seems to be completing the initial 958 Mb download of the first round of "Critical Updates"...

If an update is breaking the OS, how can I reset the update install process? I know in previous versions of Windows, if you had a corrupt update download, you could restart the process in order to account for this situation...

Hello there

If an update is breaking the OS or if you get stuck in the endless reboot of failing updates  you'll have to do the Revent Changes command of DISM in command prompt, read this post it explains how you can do that.

Does this answer your question? 

Yuri

#3 scotty_ncc1701

scotty_ncc1701

• Members
  • 520 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 AM

Posted 29 June 2014 - 08:32 AM

From your description, it sounds as if you should just reset the computer back to factory specs and start over.  This comment is based on your "I have an HP 1110nr laptop that I just recently loaded Windows 8.1 on  with no software loaded besides drivers".

I had the same issue what you're having, in that it was sticking at the "Configuring Updates xx%".  Eventually it failed.  However it is possible to update manually, and get yourself up to Windows 8.1U.

I have to respectfully disagree with YuriP.  Since you're at the beginning, just reset your system to factory specs using the recovery disks, recovery partition, or if you have a boxed copy of Windows, the boxed copy.  It's better to have a "clean slate" to work from.  Yes, it will take a little longer, but it better to be safe than sorry.

================
Some may not feel comfortable doing this, but it worked just fine for me.
================

================
MY FILE: (win8)_2014_04_17_windows8_1_update_1_manual_install_updated.txt
================
PART 1 - PREFACE
================
This replaces my:

(win8)_2014_04_12b_windows8_1_update_1_post_mortum.txt

This document outlines the exact steps you need to do, to successfully install KB2919355 (WINDOWS 8.1 UPDATE 1), SEE SUMMARY.

================
PART 2 - SUMMARY
================
Last night, I did additional research and testing, that stream lines what I outlined in my "(win8)_2014_04_12b_windows8_1_update_1_post_mortum.txt".  What I mean by streamlines, is that you don't have to install the 40 updates, and KB2919355 (WINDOWS 8.1 UPDATE 1) also.  This will save you several hours of update time.

After additional research, I found the needed updates to just install KB2919355 (WINDOWS 8.1 UPDATE 1), and not the other 40 (actually 38) updates.  Even after the two needed updates was installed, unlike M$ saying that only one prerequsite existed, using the Windows Update, through the control panel, the update of KB2919355 (WINDOWS 8.1 UPDATE 1) failed.  This outlines what to do.

If you used, "(win8)_2014_04_12b_windows8_1_update_1_post_mortum.txt", it will look really familiar, and it is.  The basic procedure is the same, but has been adjusted to keep you from having to download the uneeded 38 updates.

It should be noted, that previously (about a week ago) KB2919355 (WINDOWS 8.1 UPDATE 1) downloaded just fine from Windows Update, but failed to install.  Last night, it hung at 16% for over an hour.  To insure that it wasn't my connection, I went to my website, and duckduckgo.com without any issues.  So don't trust Windows Update for KB2919355 (WINDOWS 8.1 UPDATE 1) download.

=====================
PART 3 - SPECIAL NOTE
=====================
Although this procedure will work on a system that already has updates installed, it was done on a "new" system.  What I mean by this, is that I reset my system to just after I installed Windows 8.1 (using a Paragon Backup and Recovery Image), and then did what I outline here.

This means that if you RECOVER/REBUILD your computer, you can install KB2919355 (WINDOWS 8.1 UPDATE 1) immediately.

===================================
PART 4 - RECOMMENDED SAFETY ACTIONS
===================================
I recommend a full system backup, and also imaging with Paragon Backup and recovery, before doing any of this.  With the debacle M$ has had with KB2919355 (WINDOWS 8.1 UPDATE 1), it's better to be safe than sorry.

=================================
PART 5 - HOW TO GET IT TO INSTALL
=================================
1.  Insure that popup blocker for IE isn't active.  This will be turned on later, if you had it set.

2.  Disable automatic updates, until you're done here.  There are numerous reports of problems with the KB2919355 (WINDOWS 8.1 UPDATE 1) downloaded in the update area of the control panel.  I had the same problems as others did.

3.  Open File Explorer, and create a folder off the root called update_1.

4.  In INTERNET EXPLORER (REQUIRED) Go to:

http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/Search.aspx?q=KB2919355

5.  It might ask you to install an activex component, allow it.

6.  You should be given 3 items, but the ones that most will be concerned with is:
6.1.  (32-bit) Windows 8.1 Update (KB2919355) Windows 8.1 Security Updates, 426.4 MB; or
6.2.  (64-bit) Windows 8.1 Update for x64-based Systems (KB2919355) Windows 8.1 Security Updates, 885.1 MB.

7.  Select the one that appropriate for your system, and click "Add".
7.1.  This will actually download a total of 5 individual files for KB2919355 (WINDOWS 8.1 UPDATE 1).

8.  Goto: http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/Search.aspx?q=KB2919442

9.  Select the one that appropriate for your system, and click "Add".

10.  Goto: http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/Search.aspx?q=KB2939087

11.  Select the one that appropriate for your system, and click "Add".

12.  Click "View Basket".

13.  You can save the files anywhere you want, but for these instructions, I'm going to presume it's in c:\update_1.

14.  Click Download.

15.  A window will popup.

16.  Click "Browse".

17.  Navigate to c:\update_1.

18.  Click "OK"

19.  Click "Continue".

20.  The files will be downloaded to c:\update_1, in several difference folders.

21.  Be patient, depending on your connection, it may take a bit.

22.  Don't do anything with the computer, except moving the mouse once in awhile, to keep the screen saver from kicking in.  On my system, it took about 60 minutes.  Moving the mouse allows you to monitor the download.

23.  Once downloaded look in all the folders in c:\update_1, you see files that will look something like this:

AMD64_X86_ARM-all-windows8.1-kb2919355-x64_e6f4da4d33564419065a7370865faacf9b40ff72.msu

23.1.  The file will also have 40 random characters at the end (and an underscore).  You can safely remove the 40 random characters (and the underscore), to make them like something like this:

AMD64_X86_ARM-all-windows8.1-kb2919355-x64.msu

23.2.  Note, the names MIGHT be slightly different, after removing the 41 random characters, if your system is 32-bit.  The above names are based on the 64-bit operating system.  Below, when I say, "install KB2919355", I mean look for the file with "KB2919355" in it and install it.  The same applies for the other files.  MOST IMPORTANTLY, THE FILES, AS LISTED BELOW, MUST BE INSTALLED IN A SPECIFIC ORDER, SO MAKE SURE YOU DO THAT.

24.  Manually run updates all the updates, as listed below, in the order specified.  Simply double click on them, in File Explorer.

24.1.  Install KB2939087
24.1.1.  Double click on the file
24.1.2.  Reboot if necessary.

24.2.  Install KB2919442
24.2.1.  Double click on the file
24.2.2.  Reboot if necessary.

24.3.  Install KB2919355 (Took about 45 minustes on my computer)
24.3.1.  Double click on the file
24.3.2.  Reboot if necessary.

24.4.  Install KB2932046
24.4.1.  Double click on the file
24.4.2.  Reboot if necessary.

24.5.  Install KB2937592
24.5.1.  Double click on the file
24.5.2.  Reboot if necessary.

24.6.  Install KB2938439
24.5.1.  Double click on the file
24.5.2.  Reboot if necessary.

24.7.  Install KB2934018
24.7.1.  Double click on the file
24.7.2.  Reboot if necessary.

25.  Now KB2919355 (WINDOWS 8.1 UPDATE 1) should be installed.  Now, go to the control panel, Windows Update, and run the "Check Updates" and "Install Now" until you don't get any more notices of updates.

26.  Turn on your automatic updates, if you had them previously turned on.

27.  Turn on pop-up blocker, if you previously had it turned on.

28.  Save c:\update_1 to a safe location (e.g. external drive).  If you ever have to RECOVER/REBUILD your computer, then you just need to do steps 24-25 to get KB2919355 (WINDOWS 8.1 UPDATE 1) installed, at least until M$ fixes their debacle.

Remember that per M$:

"All future security and nonsecurity updates for Windows RT 8.1,
      Windows 8.1, and Windows Server 2012 R2 require this update to
      be installed. We recommend that you install this update on your
      Windows RT 8.1, Windows 8.1, or Windows Server 2012 R2-based
      computer in order to receive continued future updates".

================

Best of Luck!

Edited by scotty_ncc1701, 29 June 2014 - 08:33 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users