Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No Sound on Toshiba Laptop

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Kaityf

Kaityf

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 AM

Posted 28 June 2014 - 09:54 PM

We have a Toshiba Satellite laptop with Windows 7 that no longer plays any sound.  We have tried going back to a save point, but that doesn't fix anything. We tried to reinstall/upgrade the driver,  but end up with a very long list of devices and we have no idea which one is in the laptop. No audo device shows up in the device manager.  When we tried the troubleshooter, we get a message that there is no audio device.

I don't know when exactly this happened, so I don't know if it was related to some installation. We did have another problem with the laptop. It wouldn't start up, except in safe mode. We had to disable start up stuff (I don't remember exactly what we did). I only mention this in case it's an indication that there was some funky virus that caused both problems. We did a virus scan with Kaspersky and took care of any viruses. But the sound problem remains.

Any suggestions on what we might try?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kaityf

Kaityf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2014 - 01:19 PM

Is this the right forum to post this question? I wasn't sure.

#3 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 AM

Posted 29 June 2014 - 01:29 PM

I have the same problem on my Toshiba Satellite L755 laptop.  Headphones and external speakers work fine, but the internal speakers work for roughly 30 seconds & quit.  To diagnose the problem I booted from a Ubuntu DVD and tried it; got the same results.  That means it's a hardware problem.  So at first I bought cheap external speakers which circumvented the problem, but my wife didn't like the extra wires so I got a $35 Bluetooth speaker which sounds better and doesn't require any wires to the laptop.  It got my wife off my back too!  :afro:

Good luck.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,981 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2014 - 01:33 PM

It's okay, there is an Audio Forum that may give you better results.

If you do not see an audio device in Device Manager, it could be a hardware problem. Are there any yellow exclamation marks in Device Manager next to any devices?

If not, then in Device Manager Scan for Hardware changes and see if it picks up the audio device

Did you try the Microsoft Fixit?

Edit: wpgwpg's idea of using a linux distro to check for sound is a good one.

Edited by JohnC_21, 29 June 2014 - 01:34 PM.

#5 Kaityf

Kaityf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2014 - 10:41 PM

There are no exclamation marks next to any of the devices. I can't remember now, but I don't think we scanned for hardware changes. We just did the troubleshooting thing and got the message that there is no audio device. We did not try Microsoft Fixit, but we will.  I have no idea where to find a linux distro or Ubunto DVD. We'll try the other things first.  Thanks.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,981 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2014 - 08:20 AM

Just for a test you can download Puppy Linux, about 130MB. Download v5.2.8 and burn the iso file to disk by double clicking it on a Windows 7 computer. You can also create a bootable USB if  you do not have a CD/DVD disk. Download Rufus and in the dropdown box select ISO image. Then browse to the iso file you downloaded by clicking on the folder icon.

After Puppy Boots, you it should play a sound. Click once on the hard drive in the left lower desktop. A file manager will open and you can browse to any music file on your computer. Or you can attach a USB flash drive with music. A USB icon will appear. Click once on it. Browse to a musci file and double click it.

#7 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2014 - 12:34 PM

I've got to try Puppy Linux.  The only versions of Linux I'm familiar with are Ubuntu and Mint.  I know they have Windows like user interfaces.  You can download Ubuntu and get info on how to burn it to a disc or make a flash drive here:

http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop

Good luck.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#8 Kaityf

Kaityf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2014 - 01:37 PM

Thanks, guys. We'll try everything. We had a birthday celebration yesterday, so we didn't get to trying anything yet.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users