Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Barry Bonds Breaks Ruths Record

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,372 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 AM

Posted 29 May 2006 - 12:08 AM

Well...Barry Bonds has finally brocken Babe Ruths record, but how badly marred is this victory with his use of steroids?

There are a lot of comparisons being made jokingly about Babe Ruth achieving his record using beer and hot dogs, and Bonds using steroids, but the bottom line is this guy is a sport icon in the eyes of his younger fans who will want to emulate him, and that's a problem. What I fear is that kids will equate his prowess as a world class athelete with the use of steroids and believe that steroids will be the fast track to success.

The other issue is, does he deserve the recognition that is headed his way? If they won't allow Pete Rose into the hall of fame for gambling, should Bonds be permitted to eventually?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 seafox14

seafox14

• Members
  • 266 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 AM

Posted 01 June 2006 - 11:17 AM

If the steroid alligations a proven the let Ruth's record stand as second place. If the steroid alligations are proven false then Bonds deserves the second place spot for homeruns. It all depends on if he used steroids.

Personally, I don't have a problem with people using steroids if they are willing to pay the health prices. I do think that a separate sports league should be created for those that do use steroids (to keep thins fair). I don't know if any of you are familiar with the RPG called Rifts, but take a look at the Juicer O.C.C. class.

Seafox14
5 So put to death the sinful, earthly things lurking within you. Have nothing to do with sexual immorality, impurity, lust, and evil desires. Donít be greedy, for a greedy person is an idolater, worshiping the things of this world

#3 nosnhoj#3

nosnhoj#3

• Members
  • 245 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 AM

Posted 22 June 2006 - 01:14 AM

Hello,

It seems that Major Legue Baseball is using Bonds as a scapegoat for the decline of baseball's "America's Game" status. My television is usually tuned into ESPN as I work on my PC as a form of ambiant noise, and hardly a day goes by when Bonds isn't mentioned in some context.

The funny thing is, Rafael Palmiero (3000 hit club), was flat out caught taking steroids as well as lying to the Grand Jury. I havn't heard his name mentioned in months, and prior to testing positive for steroids, he would have been a first ballot hall of famer.

The fact is, no one really knows if Bonds actually did take steroids, because well, he has never failed a drug screen. The obvious signs are there, but the man should not be degraded until there is solid proof that he did in fact cheat.

I have heard many people's opinions on this matter, and a common misconception of steroids making a person hit more home runs by making them stronger, seems to be what people associate. "Steroids don't help a person hit Homeruns". The whole point of taking them, is to increase one's recovery rate. If your not injured, you can play longer, harder, and with a bit more "reckless abandon".

Barry Bonds has arguably the best hand eye coordination of any power hitter ever. Steroids can't do that. You can't artificially produce the ability to hit a 95mph slider with a 3 inch diameter stick 400 feet, over 700 times. So, the question is, what if he hadn't taken roids, would he have even been playing for the last 4 years or so? Remember, he is 42 years old.

Well before he hit 70 homeruns, and reached Ruth's record, Bond's was a first ballot hall of famer. Here are some of his numbers:

∑ 7 MVPs
∑ 13-time All Star
∑ 8 Gold Gloves
∑ 12 Silver Slugger Awards
∑ Only member in 500/500 Club
∑ Two-time N.L. Batting Champion (2002, 2004)
∑ All-time Major League walks leader
∑ Set single-season walks (232) and intentional walks (120) record
∑ Set single-season OBP record (.609)
∑ Holds Major League record for consecutive seasons with 30-or-more HR, accomplishing this 13 times

The stats that I highlighted are unheard of. Any player having just one of those stats would earn a trip to the Hall. Pay special attention the the 500/500 club stat. That is 500 stolen bases, and 500 homeruns. No one else is even close. And that single season on base percentage will probobly never be broken.

Even today, if you listen to coaches being asked why they intentionally walked Bonds, the answers are usually similar. The fact is, he is the greatest striker of the baseball of all time, steroids or not.

One last factoid. Since 1900, there have only been 3 player Intentionally Walked With The Bases Loaded. The recipients, in order, were Hall of Famer Nap Lajoie of the Philadelphia A's in 1901, Bill Nicholson of the Chicago Cubs in 1944, and Barry Bonds of the San Francisco Giants in 1998.

Here was the situation in which Bond's free pass occured:

Bottom of the ninth, bases loaded, two outs and the Arizona Diamondbacks were leading 8-6. Barry Bonds steps to the plate. Buck Showalter defied convention and chose to intentionally walk the slugger making it a one run game. Brent Mayne batted next and lined out to right field on a 3-2 count and the manager was the hero. Would you have made the same call? History dictates not. That my friends is some major respect.

nos :thumbsup:
When I'm right, I'm right....
And when I'm wrong, I could have been right....
So I'm still right, cause I could have been wrong.

#4 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 AM

Posted 06 July 2006 - 10:43 PM

Bottom of the ninth, bases loaded, two outs and the Arizona Diamondbacks were leading 8-6. Barry Bonds steps to the plate. Buck Showalter defied convention and chose to intentionally walk the slugger making it a one run game. Brent Mayne batted next and lined out to right field on a 3-2 count and the manager was the hero. Would you have made the same call? History dictates not. That my friends is some major respect.

That's called a smart move. I would have done the same thing. I wouldn't risk it. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users