Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

net user administrator /active:yes but account doesn't show

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 HairCut

HairCut

• Members
  • 235 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 PM

Posted 28 June 2014 - 04:03 PM

In elevated command prompt Windows 8.1:

net user administrator /active:yes

but account doesn't show

Hi all,

Why does the Administrator account not show up on rebooting the computer and how can I make it appear?

thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,676 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 AM

Posted 28 June 2014 - 04:26 PM

That should have worked. Did you type CMD in the search box or Command? CMD is for 32bit commands and Command is for 16bit. Type CMD in the search box Run As Administrator and try the command again. Then Reboot

#3 HairCut

HairCut
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 235 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2014 - 04:35 PM

I tried it a number of ways. From cmd run as administrator

from the recovery options on system boot (it's an HP laptop, command box is found after clicking through a couple of options)

and from Windows key and X choosing Command prompt (Admin) from the list.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,676 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2014 - 05:07 PM

The command

net user

Should show all users on the Computer including Administrator.

net user administrator

should show the status of the Administrator account and if it is active

If you really need the Administrator account, you can use this utility to activate it. If this does not work, I am not sure what would be the problem. Here is a guide on enabling the account. It does not link to the latest version. I would download the latest version. cd140201.zip

DANGER WILL ROBINSON!
If password is reset on users that have EFS encrypted files, and the system is XP or newer, all encrypted files for that user will be UNREADABLE! and cannot be recovered unless you remember the old password again
If you don't know if you have encrypted files or not, you most likely don't have them. (except maybe on corporate systems)

#5 HairCut

HairCut
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 235 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2014 - 05:37 PM

net user administrator:

Attached File  Capture.PNG   16.44KB   3 downloads

and yet it doesn't show up on reboot :scratchhead: 

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,676 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2014 - 06:10 PM

That's definitely a head scratcher. Not sure why it's not showing up. There was a poster who used the net user administrator active command on XP and it still did not show up until he used the utility I linked to. If you have not tried the utility to enable the account see if that works. It changes the registry as detailed here.

#7 HairCut

HairCut
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 235 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2014 - 03:51 AM

Got it. It does appear if I click on the back arrow on the first screen after the splash screen. Thanks for your help. I'll need to test it out a little but I think this is what can be recommended to the poster who is locked out of their Windows 8.1 account with forgotten password after update. You are welcome to do the honours.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users