Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Alternatives to Comcast....

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 rlight

rlight

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:01 PM

Posted 28 June 2014 - 01:21 PM

I am sure this topic has been addressed before, so I would appreciate your direction in locating information on alternatives to Comcast.

I need basic TV and high speed internet.  I do not need anything fancy, we do not watch a lot of TV and our internet needs are basic. 

So, I would appreciate your help.

rlight

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,910 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2014 - 01:42 PM

Your alternatives will depend on where you live.  There may be very good local providers, as I have where I live.

~ OB :cherry:

Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#3 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:01 PM

Posted 28 June 2014 - 01:47 PM

Since service providers are regional knowing the city you live in would be helpful. Not all cites have the same availability of alternative service providers. Some cities are monopolistic. Or you are unable to bundle services. Since you don't watch a lot of TV. Maybe streaming on demand to the TV and or something like a Roku device and Netflix would suffice. That could give you more variety for roughly the same price as basic TV.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#4 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2014 - 01:55 PM

What is the problem you're trying to solve?  As Orange Blossom says, alternatives depend on where you live.  Are you looking for lower prices, better reliability, better support or what?  Personally I'm pretty happy with Comcast, but the quality of their service seems to vary widely even in a given city.  A lot of folks in my area have gone with AT&T mainly for price.  I have a friend with Uverse who gets very good support with them too.  Unfortunately with Comcast's support you often get people in the Philippines who don't know their rear ends from a hole in the ground, so I have found problem resolution to be painful sometimes.  Fortunately though I've had very few problems to worry about, and I live a 5 minute drive to the local Xfinity store.  Other alternatives are Earthlink, Time Warner, Dish, Cox and AOL.  If you want a 4G service, there're always the cell providers.

Good luck.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#5 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,335 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 PM

Posted 01 July 2014 - 01:54 PM

You're choices are limited to your location.  Odds are you have one choice for cable and if you don't like that one you can go with DSL or move.

#6 Intalex

Intalex

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 PM

Posted 31 August 2014 - 09:53 PM

The more rural your location, the less options you will have. Unfortunately 3-4 ISP's have monopolized the U.S. internet market. Depending on how desperate you are, you might also want to explore satellite internet (if available).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users