Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No sound in Win7 after reinstall

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 alaskalady

alaskalady

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 AM

Posted 28 June 2014 - 12:07 PM

I did a clean re-install on Win7 Ultimate 64 bit on my Dell Studio.  I reinstalled the drivers,etc that came with the computer, then Windows updated some of those.  I never got any sound, even the windows sounds.  I have an onboard sound called Realtec and also a Creative sound card - neither of which will produce any sound.  Have tried speakers and headphones (although the headphones no longer show under the choice of devices for some reason)  I think the root of the problem is the fact that there are no actual windows sounds!  The only sound setting in the bios is to toggle the onboard sound which I have tried both ways.  Any help would be appreciated!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:59 AM

Posted 28 June 2014 - 12:19 PM

Don't use drivers from Windows update.  Use only the ones that come from Dell.  If you added the Creative sound card, you should download the driver for it from Creative.  Be sure you have the chipset driver from Dell.  Also check Device Manager to be sure none of the entries have ! or ? next to them, indicating a need for different drivers.

Good luck.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#3 alaskalady

alaskalady
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2014 - 12:24 PM

Don't use drivers from Windows update.  Use only the ones that come from Dell.  If you added the Creative sound card, you should download the driver for it from Creative.  Be sure you have the chipset driver from Dell.  Also check Device Manager to be sure none of the entries have ! or ? next to them, indicating a need for different drivers.

Good luck.

The creative card is not new, it was there from when I 1st got the machine.  I did not get any chipset drivers on the driver disk from dell, I checked.  Also, device manager shows no problems and all drivers say they are working properly.  I don't think either sound system is the problem as both worked fine before reinstll.  I think the issue is the windows sounds not working and I don't have a clue as to how to rememdy that and I so hate to call Dell!   Any ideas on how to deal with the windows sounds??

Edited by alaskalady, 28 June 2014 - 12:24 PM.

#4 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2014 - 12:49 PM

If it's not the drivers for the sound card, it's going to be hardware.  But you said "I reinstalled the drivers,etc that came with the computer, then Windows updated some of those".  That's a red flag because it's a very good way to end up with a problem like you have.  If you want the problem fixed, the first thing to do is to replace those drivers with those you get from Dell and nowhere else.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#5 alaskalady

alaskalady
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2014 - 01:17 PM

If it's not the drivers for the sound card, it's going to be hardware.  But you said "I reinstalled the drivers,etc that came with the computer, then Windows updated some of those".  That's a red flag because it's a very good way to end up with a problem like you have.  If you want the problem fixed, the first thing to do is to replace those drivers with those you get from Dell and nowhere else.

Ok, I should clarify.  When I bought the computer, it came with Win 7 Home Premium - I replaced that with a retail version of Win7 Ultimate.  When I did the reinstall I used the driver disk that came with the computer for the system drivers and the onboard sound.   I used the Creative disk for the sound card drivers.  Window update did some updates but truthfully I am not sure which drivers it replaced.  I am very ill and facing a very high risk surgery and it took all I could do to re-install, but was having major probs so I had to do it cause I depend on the computer to pay my bills, etc.  It appreared to install fine, but no windows sounds.   I didn't think much about it until I got my software reinstalled and discovered I had no other sounds either.  Sorry, but my thinking and reasoning is not doing too well these days.  I guess I will just have to call Dell unless someone can tell me how to check out why there are no Windows sounds.   Also, I know there needed to be a chipset driver, but on the disk I could not find a driver that fit that.  I even went back and reinstalled all those drivers, but still no sound.   Thanks for trying to help.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,582 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2014 - 02:37 PM

Are there any yellow exclamation marks showing in Device Manager? Another thing to look for is if the Windows Audio service is started and Automatic in Services.

windows-audio-services.jpg

#7 alaskalady

alaskalady
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2014 - 05:27 PM

No, there were no problems, it was really strange.  I ended up calling Dell and they installed a little tool on my computer then had it check the sound and it fixed it.  Still have no idea what was wrong, but I now have sound, even the windows sounds so am very happy about that.  Thanks for the responses, I do appreciate the help.

#8 Wolverine 7

Wolverine 7

• Members
  • 746 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:59 AM

Posted 28 June 2014 - 05:50 PM

Might help

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-pictures/no-sound-after-installing-windows-7-ultimate-on-my/b064a20b-1f81-4cea-9af5-70fcd1cbcb79

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/tips-fixing-common-sound-problems#tips-fixing-common-sound-problems=windows-7

Also if you havnt,check all the little settings in Realtek Manager in Control panel,some of them will turn the sound off if the little boxes are uncheked or checked wrong.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users