Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Primary Master Drive Fails

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 TIMT

TIMT

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:45 PM

Posted 28 May 2006 - 10:15 PM

During boot up there is a message "Primary Master Drive Fails"
then enter set up or boot from disk

Anything I can try? Is my hard drive dead?

Windows 2000
1.33mhz
512ram xxxxxxxxxxx

Mod Edit: E-mail address was removed for your safety. Please, do not post your E-mail address in an open forum. This could lead to a lot more SPAM in your inbox, than you might want.

Edited by tg1911, 28 May 2006 - 10:36 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 PM

Posted 28 May 2006 - 10:50 PM

You can remove it from the computer and connect it to a working computer as a slave drive to see if you can explore it.

If that is the only error message it does sound like the HD failed though.

#3 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:45 PM

Posted 28 May 2006 - 11:02 PM

See if the drive appears in the BIOS.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,590 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 PM

Posted 28 May 2006 - 11:29 PM

If you can get to the BIOS, do as aklan has suggeted, but also look to see if the SMART is bad.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 TIMT

TIMT
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2006 - 12:17 AM

Ok,
I tried and here is what I get......
On boot up:

Detecting Primary Master.........WDC WD400BB-32CCBO

then Primary Master Fails

In the Bios this shows
Primary Master [Auto]

Not sure what the "SMART" is

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,590 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 PM

Posted 29 May 2006 - 01:15 AM

S.M.A.R.T. stands for Self-Monitoring Analysis and Reporting Technology. S.M.A.R.T. technology was developed by a number of major hard disk drive manufacturers in a concerted effort to increase the reliability of drives. It is a technology that enables the PC to predict the future failure of hard disk drives. S.M.A.R.T. technology has become an industry standard for hard drive manufacturers.

If you want more information about this, there is a good article that you can find here.

The BIOS should show the status of the SMART as good or bad. When my hdd's SMART system started indicating that is was bad it would stop in the POST to make me aware of it, and had to press an F key to continue. But I have also heard of hdds dying without ever showing the warning in the POST.

I have to agree with Enthusiast, it does sound like the hdd is dead.

Edited by dc3, 29 May 2006 - 01:23 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 pascor22234

pascor22234

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2006 - 10:46 AM

A good hard drive test is Hitachi's Drive Fitness Test. It will excercise the drive without changing any data. The program is available os an ISO image for a CD. It needs to be burned to a new CD using Roxio, Nero or the free CDBurnerXP Pro. To run the program restart your system with the CD in your primary optivcal drive and it will start up automatically. Navigate the menus to check out the SMART status. Then run the full analysis test.

#8 TIMT

TIMT
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2006 - 11:02 PM

Thanks for the advice & direction
I'm back with a new hard drive. Had not backed up for a month so that was bad :(
Thanks again!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users