Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Microsoft to shutter security notification service

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 scotty_ncc1701

scotty_ncc1701

• Members
  • 520 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 AM

Posted 28 June 2014 - 09:36 AM

SOURCE: http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9249445/Microsoft_to_shutter_security_notification_service?source=rss_operatingsystems&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+computerworld%2Fs%2Ffeed%2Ftopic%2F125+%28Computerworld+Windows+News%29

Here are the RSS links, to get the same info that was being sent via e-mail:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/security/rss/bulletin
https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/security/rss/comprehensive
https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/security/rss/advisory
http://blogs.technet.com/b/msrc/rss.aspx

Have a great day!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,606 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:31 AM

Posted 28 June 2014 - 10:32 PM

"As of July 1, 2014, due to changing governmental policies concerning the issuance of automated electronic messaging, Microsoft is suspending the use of email notifications," the company told the mailing list's members.
The use of the word "suspending" leave opens the possibility that Microsoft will resume the practice at some later date.

Figures...Big Brother sticking his nose where it doesn't belong.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 scotty_ncc1701

scotty_ncc1701
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 520 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2014 - 11:08 PM

According to the article, "Some have tied the decision to a new Canadian law set to take effect July 1, and the timing of the closure supports such speculation. The Canadian anti-spam law has received little attention outside that country, but has been characterized as among the world's strictest. The legislation requires definitive opt-in authorization by recipients".  Thus, if that's correct, it's not Uncle Sam.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,606 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2014 - 06:54 AM

So it's the fault of his cousin to the north...I'm sure Sam doesn't mind.

#5 scotty_ncc1701

scotty_ncc1701
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 520 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2014 - 07:57 AM

The thing is, at least for domestic (USA) folks, there is a law that a lot of people don't know about that can be used against the sender.  Specifically, the CANSPAM Law of 2003.  Some, but not all, of the key provisions are:

1.  Once you establish a business relationship, they can "SPAM" you.
2.  If they continue to "SPAM" you after you tell them to stop, there is a heavy penality.  If I recall correctly, it's like $10,000 per e-mail.
3.  The subject line can't be misleading.
4.  The email message must not have misleading of falsified header information ("From", "Reply-To", etc).
5.  Clearly identify that the email is an advertising message, and the message must come from a functioning return email address.
6.  Email must display the physical postal address of the sender.
7.  Display a prominent notice that provides the recipient the opportunity to decline further emails from you (unsubscribe/opt-out).
8. Honor all opt-out requests within 10 business days.

Well in the middle of 2004, a friend had a business relationship with Symantec, and he e-mailed them quite a few times to stop e-mailing, they ignored it.  I saw the e-mails.  He called them (he had them on speaker), and they said they "don't honor the CANSPAM Law of 2003".  I then got on the phone, and warned them that since they were alreay told thee weeks prior not to e-mail my friend and he had had proof of receipt and reading, they had 3 hours to honor it, or they'd be reported to the US Attorney General.  About 12 hours he received another e-mail from them, and my friend sent the e-mail, I prepared for him, to the US AG.  He received two more e-mails, and it abruptly stopped.  He told me he got a letter from Symantec that apologized, and gave all kinds of excuses.  The bottom line is that they violated [US] federal law.

It's stuff like this, is why I'll use e-mail forwarding.  I think I've explained this before, but I'll repeat it here.

1.  I use multiple accounts, with each person, company, organization, or group having an assigned e-mail.  For example:
1.1.  john.468@fake.com
1.2.  fred.hnR@fake.com
1.3.  clem.aQo@fake.com
1.4.  magnovox.yk7@fake.com
1.5.  coffee.0eC@fake.com

2.  In reality, each random set of characters, before the "@" is 15 characters long, generated by the password generation program I wrote.  In the above examples, I used only 3 characters here for simplicity purposes.

3.  Each of the above e-mails are forwarded to a single, "receive only" account, say: hADX3KcELvYYLNZ@fake.com, with none of the e-mails being retained on the forwarded account.
3.1.  There is an exception to this, see later (item 8).

4.  Any filters on the server are on the "receive only" only.

5.  I use MailWasher to see what's on the server, before downloading it, on the "receive only" account, and add additional filters, blacklists, etc.

6.  Finally, on the setup, in Outlook, I have the "receive only" able to receive but not send, and for other accounts, that I would send on, have them set to send, but not receive.

7.  Now, I use MailWasher to check what is on the server, mark ones that I don't want to download to be deleted, add in additional filters, etc.  I then "process" the "receive only", it deletes unwanted e-mails, opens Outlook, and then I download the e-mails.

8.  The exception to forwarding e-mails is the accounts that I deem as "junk" accounts.  For instance ones I use when I think that I'll get SPAM on, or like when I ordered my recovery disks.  I created a specific e-mail for the order, and once I got the disks, I deleted the account, so then any stuff sent by the company is bounced back.

As for #5.  I'm actually writing my own program that will be 100% freeware.  I've discovered some neat "tricks" that will help the program's performance.  So last night, I gutted it and started over.  The only thing that remains from the other version, is the existing screens, it's the "guts" that changed.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,606 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2014 - 01:26 PM

I'm actually writing my own program that will be 100% freeware.  I've discovered some neat "tricks" that will help the program's performance.

Good luck with your program.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users