Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Questions about Vodafone Smart Tab 4

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Taoki

Taoki

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 AM

Posted 28 June 2014 - 08:19 AM

Today I went to my mobile company to renew a contract for a 3G card. I was hoping I could get a cheaper one initially, but soon put that hope aside after hearing an offer I found hard to refuse; A slightly more costly contract for unlimited internet and, most importantly, a free tablet.

The tablet itself is a Vodafone Smart Tab 4. The specifications I was able to find info about look pretty good; An 1.2 GHz quad-core processor, 1GB of RAM, and Android 4 by default. However, there are a few things I couldn't understand, and surprisingly Google doesn't help me at all with them either. My concerns are:

1 - At what quality can this tablet film videos? The only information I found is that it has a 2MP camera. However, no one says whether that's enough to film at 1080p.

2 - Does it support 4G? My sim card and contract are for 3G internet only, but someday I could get a 4G contract and could use it with this tablet.

3 - Does it really support WIFI Hotspot? And does this mean that I can use it as a wireless router for my laptop, through the sim card internet of the tablet?

4 - Can it be easily rooted and reinstalled? I have a dream to someday erase Android and install ARM Linux on my mobile devices.

Please reply within the next 2 hours! The offer may expire after tonight, and I need to go today if I am to accept it. Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Taoki

Taoki
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 AM

Posted 28 June 2014 - 03:11 PM

Never mind... I decided to accept the offer. I'm currently charging the tablet, but got to take a closer look at it prior to that. The answers seem to be:

1 - The camera is of a very low quality, comparable to that of the first camera phones in early the 2000's. It even films under an ancient format called 3gp rather than mp4 which is horrible! Yet for some reason, the details panel of videos shows a resolution of 1920 x 1088. So apparently, it films at horrible quality, but at full-HD resolution.

2 - No 4G support, it only works with 3G.

3 - Yes, the settings for WIFI Hostpot are in the menu.

4 - Didn't look into it yet. But it's obvious that, like any tablet, it can be rooted and the OS can be replaced one way or another. Being a Vodafone tablet, the provider branding scared me from this perspective.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users