Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

First Time Computer Build

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jcharles14

jcharles14

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 PM

Posted 28 June 2014 - 03:27 AM

It is my first time building my own computer. I am going to be using it for our security camera system.

My Main question is the motherboard. I cannot decide between these two.

Please help me decide

GigaByte

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007R9CRGW/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=61F5NAWWXSHB&coliid=I3OP8RQDW0E9OE

Intel

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0051UY1QI/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=61F5NAWWXSHB&coliid=IOTVESQHRNJPC

Here are the types of items I am buying

1. Cooler Master HAF 912 Computer Case

2. Intel Core i7-3770 3.4 GHZ LGA 1155

3. Cooler Master Extreme Power Plus 600w power supply

4. LG Electronics CD/DVD Drive

5. NZXT Aperture M Card Reader

6. Western Digital 1TB Hard Drive

The NZXT Card Reader has 3.0 ports on the front. It requires to be plugged in to a 3.0 header. I would like to have the 3.0 functionality on this reader.

So far I am leaning towards the Intel motherboard, but it does not have a usb 3.0 header.

I would appreciate any other advice I can get.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,437 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 AM

Posted 28 June 2014 - 04:12 PM

It requires to be plugged in to a 3.0 header  . . .  the Intel motherboard  . . . it does not have a usb 3.0 header.

Depending on how important this card reader is to you, the above does rather argue against the Intel board.

Apart from that, assembling a computer is a fairly straight forward operation so long as you are willing to read the motherboard manual. Usually the mobo is the first thing fitted into the case and merely requires care, particularly in making sure you use the correct mounting points and stand-offs.

Once the mobo is in it is probably easiest to install the hard drive, the RAM and then the power supply, and then make sure that all your wiring connections are in the correct places.

And one other important point. Doing the above assembly operations means it will be virtually impossible not to touch the metal work while doing it. but these components contain static vulnerable components. ALWAYS touch some metal part of the case before touching things like the mobo to remove any static electricity differential on you.

Just take it steady, read the manual, and check your internal connections before you turn on external power.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,166 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2014 - 07:05 PM

If you want or need USB 3 headers why settle for one without? They are quite common features now.  Intel are out of the motherboard business I believe, so any items still available are old stock.  How about this one which uses the newer Z77 chipset, which has USB 3.0 support as standard - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130653&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

Do you need a Core i7 for running a security camera system?  Does it need a lot of processing power?

Edited by jonuk76, 28 June 2014 - 07:10 PM.

7sbvuf-6.png

#4 jcharles14

jcharles14
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 PM

Posted 28 June 2014 - 07:19 PM

The software program I'm using is blue iris and it recommended a core i7 and 8 gb of ram when using multiple cameras to have the best system performance

#5 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,166 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2014 - 08:33 PM

That's fair enough - just checking it wasn't overkill for what was needed :)

Not sure if you're aware but the later version equivalent is the "Haswell" i7-47xx series.  They use a different socket (LGA 1150) and perform slightly better than the older processors at the same clock speed. While boards for the previous generation (Socket 1155) are still stocked at retailers, the choice will be much larger in the newer socket.

Edited by jonuk76, 28 June 2014 - 08:35 PM.

7sbvuf-6.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users