Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ad-aware, Deleting Selecting Takes Hours

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 gdevine

gdevine

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:18 AM

Posted 28 May 2006 - 09:12 PM

I ran the program Ad-aware but was not sure what to do when the final stage went on for 12+ hours. It found 17, 000 objects. The, when I was in the final stage of deleting selection, (the bar is has moved all the way over) and then stays that way for hours. Should I let the program continue with deleting selection or what? I thought either it took forever or it was frozen. Any advice?
:thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,616 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 AM

Posted 28 May 2006 - 09:31 PM

Ad-Aware SE Personal normally runs a scan in just a few minutes. It sounds more like you are looking at the number of files it is scanning. Do you have any symptoms of malware, and if so, what are they?

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 gdevine

gdevine
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2006 - 10:01 PM

I will check for malware because I am not sure. I have seen coolwebserach items and I can't remember the others. Yes, I do think I saw malware items. I know for sure, I am reading the "objects found" correctly and not the files scanned. I even started doing a customized scan by subfolders, and deleted selections this way. I did this for a while. But I just know it will take a long time. I working on my parents computer which I do not have access to at the moment. I am comfortable using Ad-aware usually. I have not used other programs much. I tried to run a scan disk also and this took forever! I did not complete it but cancelled the process. I will be working on it again and I was not sure what to do.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,600 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2006 - 10:16 PM

Try doing the scan in "SAFE MODE".
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,616 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 AM

Posted 28 May 2006 - 10:38 PM

Ok, This could be the all time record holder for number of malware. If Ad-Aware is properly scanning and is just doing so at an extremely slow pace it might help if you deleted all cookies in IE as Ad-Aware identifies those. Also you might delete all temporary files in IE also. If you have a program already on your computer such as Ccleaner that would be the easiest and best way to clean. I suspect you are going to need help getting rid of malware so why not go ahead and submit a Hijack this log. Again, what symptoms of malware do you have such as popups, misdirected searches, ads, etc.?

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users