Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet drops every 15 to 30 minutes :<

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#46 davnel

davnel

• Members
  • 590 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 AM

Posted 30 June 2014 - 06:59 AM

I would recommend that you read some of the forum postings I referred to above. There's a lot of good info on conflicts and interference between the modem and the router that might be useful.

One experiment you might try is to disconnect any other computers from the network, leaving only yours, and see if the problem goes away, as one of the postings suggested.

They also suggested power sequencing both as follows:

remove power from both.

wait one minute.

Fire up the modem, wait for it to sync up (30 sec to 1 min).

fire up the router

wait one minute for them to converse and agree on terms.

Who knows? It might even work. I don't recall what the resolution was, but it's in there.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#47 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:09 AM

Posted 30 June 2014 - 01:13 PM

May simply be time for a new router, these devices typically are powered on 24/7. Though some models will last for years w/out giving hiccups, others will be flakey out of the box, or shortly thereafter. I do recall you upgrading the firmware, so you should be good there. If not, you'd know it, the device would have been bricked, unless there were a safety mechanism in place to roll back to what was there. 

So how does the Internet run computer to modem only, or have you tried already? This would go a long way in determining what's going on, if all is good for a day or two, then no doubt it's the router or settings. Or possibly even the Ethernet patch cable to the router, oftentimes the lowest cost cable is included. Cat6 would likely be best for your speed package, even at my much lower tier, there was a jump in download speeds by changing all Ethernet cables from Cat5e to Cat6, by over 5Mb/sec. Plus the short patch cable from the modem to router is Cat7. Upload was unchanged.  So in essence, I jumped into the next tier by investing in new cables of the next standard. 

Got all 5 of these cables for Newegg for less than $20, including shipping. There is likely a similar online site in your region as this one. 

http://www.newegg.com/

Being that the tech found one bad section of the cable, there could be another. This is an issue when splicing these cables, less is preferable. There has to be as straight of a path as possible from the street to your modem. Depending on the dwelling, such as an apartment complex, there may be one service panel, normally locked to prevent theft of services & from there a cable to each dwelling or unit. When there are multiple services by the same provider, there will often by two or more to each, usually no more than two. Unless in the dwelling, there's those who wants separate accounts, then another can be added. 

It's from that service panel or box, that any additional splices, T fittings & splitters must be kept to a minimum & when added, properly assembled. Some of these techs takes pride in their work, others are in a hurry. Back when I was a homeowner, there was a problem with one connection & fixed it myself by purchasing the fitting at a local Radio Shack & redoing it myself with a premium one. The difference in price for a pack of two was minimal. 

To sum it up, the cables or lines all has to be as perfect as possible, otherwise no matter the price or quality of the modem & router, it's all for nil. You'll still have troubles. 

Hopefully some time in the next day or so, someone can get this thing right. You & your housemate has the right to receive the services that's paid for. 

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#48 Kiwi1990

Kiwi1990
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 PM

Posted 30 June 2014 - 03:16 PM

This afternoon i bought myself a Netgear N900 router at the mediamarkt. Costed me about 95EUR but so far worth it.

Been connected to short to tell if its stable (45minutes now).

Theres a few things why i wanted that, i now have full say over the router and settings. (not my housemate anymore) and i can kick ppl off that dont live here.

Reason being that i heard that someone gave the pass to the local coffeeshop downstairs, so that pass ofc spreads to people enjoying a smoke etc. You can imagine that the wi-fi was as slow as thick bleep trough a funnel with that many users.

Also the userinterface is so much more friendly compared to the old one, and its easier to see who is connected on what device. Will let you guys know if this was the prob :)

As far as i know the cables are already cat6 but i would have to inform my landlord about that since he will have to do the wiring from downstairs to upstairs (it goes trough the roof/side of the stairs tucked away)

My own ethernet cable i can ofc upgrade. (and yeah luckily i know some shops where you can get a decent length for cheap)

#49 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2014 - 04:58 PM

Great to hear that so far, so good.  :guitar:

Maybe the techs did check the cabling good, it would seem that with repeated calls, they want to get you off their backs. In the process, may have inadvertently improved the service for your neighbors. 

Given the new information you added, I can understand why you wanted control over the router. It's surprising that you had half decent service to begin with, with so many connected. My guess is that your speed is fantastic at the moment. To ensure you keep your connection private, I suggest that you change the passphrase for wi-fi access on a regular basis, like weekly. You should be able to turn off broadcasting when not needed & there is free software that you can monitor your connection with. Much of which is in the router's settings. 

In fact, network service that keeps breaking down intermittently is a possible sign of overload, so it's imperative that you keep the non-payers off. More information on detection & prevention provided below. Please bookmark for future reference. 

http://www.buzzle.com/articles/how-to-detect-and-stop-an-outside-user-from-stealing-your-wifi.html

As far as the Cat6 cable I was referring to, this is the one that connects the modem to the router & then router to your computer (as you mention in the last sentence above). Not the cabling that goes to the modem, that's on the ISP (or landlord) end. No, I wouldn't ask you to do that. 

I believe that provided you now have control over your network, you're now empowered to do what it takes to keep it speedy & there when you & your housemate needs it, not to throw a LAN party for the neighborhood. Had you mentioned that earlier, I'd have taken a different approach to the topic in the beginning, however we're all human & cannot think of every detail. 

Please keep us informed of any future progress, and I want to take this time to thank you for choosing BleepingComputer.com for your needs. It has been a true pleasure to work with you on this issue & anytime you have a bit of free time, always feel free to drop by, if nothing else, just to say hello.  :)

All the Best,

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#50 davnel

davnel

• Members
  • 590 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 AM

Posted 30 June 2014 - 05:43 PM

Unsolicited piece of advice:

DO NOT run that router open. Disable the "guest account". Set WiFi up with long (64 character) passwords on at least WPA2. Use a password generator program, such as "Keep Password Safe 2" to create and store the passwords. If this is a dual band (2.4 and 5.0GHz) router, set up unique passwords for each. Store the passwords, generated by Keepass2 on a USB stick as text. You can encrypt that if you wish. ONLY give those passwords out to people living with you that need it. Remember, anything anyone does with your WiFi link shows up on your record. My router, a Netgear WNDR3700 has a button on the front panel to turn the WiFi radios on and off. I keep it off unless I need WiFi. Also, unless you desperately need it for a wireless printer or something, turn off WPS.

#51 Kiwi1990

Kiwi1990
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 PM

Posted 30 June 2014 - 05:51 PM

Heya, thank you for your responce ^.^

Yeah im happy i went to bleepingcomputers aswell with my question, eventhough i ask some stupid questions now and then im not made fun of hehe.

About the wireless being shared with the nieghbours i only found out today actually before i went out shopping for a modem. Before that i heard a lot of complaints of roomies that the wireless is slow 1+1= ;)

Now the ex router owner tries to accuse me his old router broke because of my (awesomely purple) ethernet cable *sigh*. Tried to explain him that it was highly likely due to him giving out the password to 15+ peeps and it just being overused.

Just got back a blank stare as a responce. I will be reading the link in a bit aswell after my post (thank you very much for that one, it'll help me a lot!)

@Davnel, i share the house with 5 more people. They all use wireless, im the only one on cable. So if i turn off wireless randomly i think i have some pissed off people. How bad is the guest account? because i set it up with a password so we can keep regular users and guests appart. I dont know, but the way your warning me freaks me out a little hehe. :) (almost a bit oversecure?)

I will turn off WPS tho since we wont be using any usb devices on the router, so thats a nice heads up.

edit: WPS was already off.

edit2: And the password for wifi is some randomly smashed letters, numbers and symbols. upper and lower case. That should be secure enough? (written down on a good old piece of paper)

In the mean time im going to read that link now.

Thank you very much for the help and patience with me so far *hugs*

Edited by Kiwi1990, 30 June 2014 - 05:58 PM.

#52 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2014 - 11:08 PM

Kiwi1990, davnel was referring to uninvited guests, not your housemates. Speaking of which, since you're now in charge of things, you can mandate no giving out passwords. 

When guests arrives, you can enable the guest account on your router & setup a temporary sign on code, then disable again after they leave. That account should always be disabled unless needed. 

And in that link I gave you above, there's instructions as to cutting the cord on unwanted guests forever. They'll pick on another neighbor for free wi-fi. 

Fortunately, they don't live in the US, stealing wi-fi is seen as a felony. There has been instances of folks being arrested for being in the vicinity of a wi-fi host, with an open notebook or tablet in their car, placed in jail under high bond. These hosts are reserved for their customers only, Depending on the state, the fine can be from $500 to $25,000 & 30 days to 5 years imprisonment. There has been many caught on boats crusing around the coastal areas, with hi powered "wardriving" wi-fi antennas, stealing on the go, never paying while on vacation. 

Just because the signal is there, it's not free "fruit for the picking", even if the site isn't protected with a password. This is how much illegal content is hosted or obtained. 

Cat

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users