Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet drops every 15 to 30 minutes :<

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#31 Kiwi1990

Kiwi1990
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 PM

Posted 28 June 2014 - 12:47 PM

Also in the router i have 4 diffrent types of logs:

dhcp clientlog

outgoing traffic log

incomming traffic log (empty)

security log (empty)

Any information that can be taken from those?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#32 davnel

davnel

• Members
  • 590 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 AM

Posted 28 June 2014 - 06:02 PM

OK, the fact that you don't have any critical messages in the modem logs tells me that the signals never drop out. I'm not sure how to interpret the warning message. Yes, you can gain some knowledge from the router logs, but I don't know how to interpret them.

Wow! Google this:  "Map Reject - Not Authorized for Requested Downstream Traffic ...". Your exact problem comes up, multiple times.

#33 davnel

davnel

• Members
  • 590 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2014 - 06:57 PM

Also, found this one from your neck of the woods:

http://community.upc.nl/posts/0f9466e837

#34 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 AM

Posted 28 June 2014 - 08:48 PM

Thanks davnel, for all of your input into this, very much appreciated! :thumbup2:

This issue, going by what we have so far & this as stated by the OP becomes a key factor. 

my housemate is also reporting frequent disconnects, i dont know if he has the same intervals as me since im watching it closer than him.

It's appears as though there are ISP issues involved. Could be anything, however this isn't the first, nor I doubt it will be the last time, that an ISP dumped responsibility onto the customer, due to the customer choosing of the router. My former one tried to pull this off on me. yes it was a cheap router of the TrendNet brand, but it worked & still does (in a friend's home, to whom I gave it to). 

In the case of my troubles, which had been going on for nearly a month, I was getting frustrated & very irritable, as I depend on my Internet service. Trying to post on forums & at the moment I press Enter to finalize the post, the service hangs....& hangs...., then when it would finally go through, some would be tripled. Got to the point to where I told them (Time Warner) to stuff their service & had already carried all of my other equipment (digital TV & Phone), but was going to use the rest of the month of Internet service that I paid for, until another provider could be found. 

No sooner than I had gotten back home from returning the above mentioned equipment, the 'retention department' of Time Warner called, wanting to keep me as a customer. Told him that other providers has been chosen for TV & phone, he told me that I could have Internet alone at a special price, for 1 year. So I agreed, under one condition, that they fix the issues going on. Paying for a 15Mb/sec connection (download) & there was constant fluctuation, sometimes as slow as 5-6KB/sec. Wired or wireless, it didn't matter. 

And the real surprise that came to me was that other neighbors were complaining about Time Warner services (the 'retention agent' told me this). Asked me if I was aware, I said no, because I keep to myself mostly. At that time, I asked him, 'well then, why aren't things fixed?'. He assured me they would be, within 72 hours. 

So another of their techs came out & come to find out after a local neighborhood inspection, there was a home that 3 families had moved into at roughly the same time my issues began, there were at least as many illegal taps into the main cable line. Not to mention that later it was found out they cut the water on themselves, they were also at night stealing power from a home next to them from a couple of outdoor (shop) electrical outlets to run the washer & dryer for all of these folks (6 adults & 3x as many children). What played a part in catching them on that one was, the shop was on a different meter, to keep home & business expenses separate. At the time, just so happened, the couple was on vacation for most of the month, therefore the shop was closed. 

Needless to say, these folks quickly found themselves in a sling & moved out in the middle of the night. 

So that could be a possibility here also, or other line issues. All it takes is one bad connection in the main cable for all, to cause service issues for all customers. In the case of a provider whom carries TV, Phone & Internet, there can be issues with all of the services. 

I'm going to suggest at this point to contact your ISP's customer support & report there's troubles. My advice would be to plug your computer direct to modem during this time (bypassing the router altogether), that way they cannot say it's on your end & will be forced to address the issue. This may be a good thing for you to do anyway, to force their equipment to give you proper signal. From a security standpoint, this isn't the optimal setup, but sometimes you have to do what has to be done. What the ISP wants, is for you to lease their substandard wireless routers, some of which are a modem & router in one. I once had one, a Netgear, no good, garbage. You may not be required to use their routers, but they can use your choice against you, when it comes to customer service. 

Your ISP is correct, they didn't agree to service your self installed router. But they're obligated by law to service their own equipment, all of it, as long as your router is out of the equation. 

I'm sorry that this isn't what you want to hear, but in the absence of infections, the successful router firmware upgrade & this is going on with more than one computer & person, things has to be on the ISP's end. Or, if you luck out, by the removal of the router from the picture, your connection issues may go away & you'll have your answer soon, as well as be able to watch your game with friends.  :)

Please keep us informed of the outcome, as we're interested as to the cause & solution applied. 

Best of Luck,

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#35 davnel

davnel

• Members
  • 590 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2014 - 08:55 PM

Cat:

You're welcome. Please read #32 for some interesting links, especially page 2 on the Google search.

#36 Kiwi1990

Kiwi1990
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2014 - 09:03 PM

Hey cat, thank you for responding :)

I will contact UPC tomorrow and see if i can get them to send some guys over.

Also i will make a propper responce tomorrow since its 4 am here at the moment and im deadtired haha.

Also i like to tank you both, Cat and Danvel for having put so much time and effort into try and fixing this problem :)

I will let you guys know what the outcome is in this "fight" against my isp ;)

Cat:

You're welcome. Please read #32 for some interesting links, especially page 2 on the Google search.

and lol :hysterical:

Edited by Kiwi1990, 28 June 2014 - 09:08 PM.

#37 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2014 - 10:07 PM

Cat:

davnel, some very interesting reading there! 

To he honest, I still don't believe my Internet is 100% healthy, as sometimes pages hangs, particularly when I'm on heavy traffic sites. Though this happens less on Linux Mint than Windows 7, 8 & 8.1 by far. I have noticed some logs in the Event Viewer in regards to this, but am not on the OS now, am using Linux Mint 17 for the most part. 

This modem that I have is an old RCA DCM425 model, of the DOCSIS 2.0 spec, as I recall, the next & current standard, DOCSIS 3.0 has been available since at least 2008. However, Time Warner only provides these routers to those who pays for their 'premier' tiers & use whatever happens to be on the service truck for the rest. Maybe it's time for me to threaten to change again.  :exclame:

I'm considering purchasing my own modem, but than I'd be in the same boat as the OP, only worse. Would have to keep an extra modem on hand for failures, though the issue with that is that Time Warner (whom will likely soon merge with Comcast, it's in the works) changes the 'approved' routers from time to time & according to service tier. As it stands, at my tier, I cannot add one of the fastest available w/out upgrading a level. BTW, I have EarthLink now & have since sometime in 2011, but Time Warner does the work. 

Weird, I get faster speeds for less through EarthLink on Time Warner's infrastructure, though it takes longer times for service calls. They don't see EarthLink customers as 'priority'. But I don't care, pay the same price each month & have since having the service, Time Warner increases every year across the board, but will offer retention discounts. 

I will let you guys know what the outcome is in this "fight" against my isp ;)

Thanks, and there seems to be a lot of this going on. Many of these 'techs' are in a hurry to get from one job to the next & often overlook simple things. For starters, there's a minimum of 4 cables in my apartment that's not capped off, if I wanted, could have basic TV service at no charge. However, I'm not subscribed & consider this stealing, if I want a service, will pay up. If I can't pay for something, than don't want it. My entertainment comes from Internet sources, don't need a TV. Furthermore, there's a rat's nest of cabling under the dwelling, seems that these installers would clean it up. 

Given that, it's a small miracle that my service is as good as it is, though as noted above, it's time for me to lean on Time Warner for a modern modem. 

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#38 davnel

davnel

• Members
  • 590 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2014 - 11:40 PM

Cat:

I bought my own Motorola 6120 DOCSIS 3 modem a few years ago. I own several Netgear wireless routers, with the WNDR3700 being my main unit now. Except for construction dropouts, acknowledged by my ISP, I've had NO problem with any of them.

I find it handy to be able to log into the modem and the router to see what's going on and to make a few adjustments, like disabling Universal Plug-n-Play in the router (dangerous). I would recommend everybody  get their own equipment, if only because you know what you're getting and you don't pay rent to the ISP. In my case, the $56 the modem cost (sale!) would have been covered in 10 months of rent. I would suggest the latest Motorola modem, the 6141 now, I think. It may cost you a few bucks but I think it's worth it. Same for routers. I'm going to get  a Netgear AC router soon.

http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/the-best-cable-modem-is-the-motorola-sb6141/

Also, anyone running older router hardware would do well to look into http://www.dd-wrt.com DD-WRT firmware for it.{sorry, my HTML are seldom}.

Edited by davnel, 28 June 2014 - 11:49 PM.

#39 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2014 - 11:57 PM

Yes I agree, many would benefit from the DD-WRT or Tomato software, it's far more secure than that shipped on many brands of routers, including Cisco. 

Newegg frequently runs those Motorola modems on promo, the 6120 & another, I forget the model though. Yes, it's worth the cost. However, it's also good to get a spare as soon as practical, so that if one goes, there's another. Am currently using an older Linksys WRT160N V3 router that was given to me, though there's a brand new TrendNet under the desk for when needed. 

My VOIP service (NetTalkDuo) is picky about which routers it works on. But at $40 yearly, am not complaining. 

Cat

#40 Kiwi1990

Kiwi1990
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2014 - 07:34 AM

Morning

When i posted yesterday night i completly forgot its sunday today and i cant call UPC straight away yet. Hopefully i can get them to send over a techguy to take a look around. They will look at the modem (im using their modem but the router is from a housemate) but they wont take a look at the router no. (also if cables need to be replaced we have to pay since thats the customers fault..)

One thing i forgot is that we went up one subscription level to 120Mb download, and this modem is fairly old. A friend mentioned that replacing the modem could solve the problem since this one is old and could not handle the speed? Its only the question though if UPC is willing to swap out to one of their newer modems. I am also thinking about replacing the router, but i will have to have a chat with my housemate first since the router is owned by him, and if he doesnt mind that i replace it.

One intresting thing fact, eventhough my internet drops so often i am getting my full download and uploadspeed on speedtest.net.

edit: woops, i could call them :)

A guy from UPC is comming over tomorrow to have a look at our modem.

Edited by Kiwi1990, 29 June 2014 - 09:20 AM.

#41 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2014 - 08:02 PM

Great to hear! :thumbup2:

You likely need a newer modem for the upgraded speed. That's the way it works around here, us who are in the lower tiers gets the leftovers. Usually the modems pulled from the ones whom upgrades. 

These ISP's makes more off modem leases than the service we pay for. Just think, they buy in bulk, so they're getting these for less anyway. Plus normally a model behind, that's further savings. When Time Warner jumped on the modem rental wagon, their stock on the exchanges shot upward in minutes after announcement. And why not? Most of this is pure profit, from modems long ago paid for. 

As to your router, unless you have something very old, such as the "G" standard, you may be OK. Because the basic "N" spec ones are good for around 150Mb/sec. There are the "AC" type, however very few users of these really benefits in terms of raw speed. Though there may be increased range & some also has up to two USB ports (some are USB 3.0) for adding a network attached storage device and/or adding a non-wireless printer to the network. Other than that, few home users will ever saturate the more common "N-300" router, or 600 at the most. 

Hope to hear good news soon. :)

Cat

#42 Kiwi1990

Kiwi1990
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2014 - 03:24 AM

yay it has been fixed (as far as i can tell ive been reconnected 30 minutes now)

The connector of the cable that comes from the wall to the splitter was faulty. When he tried to measure with his device that thing went haywire if he even slightly put his finger against it. Going from high frequencies to flatline. (the one cable that i didnt pull, it was before the splitter going to the modem, and not the one after the splitter).

So he cut the cable and put on a new connector and also replaced our old modem with a shiney new one out of the box. Same type though, he said this was the newest model they have available at the moment for upc customers.

#43 davnel

davnel

• Members
  • 590 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2014 - 04:27 AM

Good show, Kiwi.

You and your mates might think about getting a DOCSIS 3 modem when you can afford it. The New Motorola is a Surfboard SB6141 and runs between $81 (Amazon) and $90 (Target) US depending on where you get it. I'd wait for a good sale from Newegg or Tiger Direct. I've also seen refurbished units for around $65 to $70 US.

#44 Kiwi1990

Kiwi1990
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2014 - 06:04 AM

I think i can save up money fot that :)

But yeah, i have cheered too early, the problem started again at 12 this afternoon :<

Calling upc again atm.

#45 Kiwi1990

Kiwi1990
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2014 - 06:40 AM

Alright i have come back off the phone with upc and the guy talked to said that he didnt see any devices connected to the modem, and some errors about dhcp.

The few he pointed out was:

[Minor] DHCP RENEW WARNING - Field invalid in response v4 option;CM-M...

[Warn] DHCP WARNING - Non-critical field invalid in response ;CM-MAC...

He said the problem could be that the router has problems releasing a propper ip adres for that, and after i renewed and refreshed ip on the router he indeed then saw the router connected to the modem.

Now if that is the case (and my problem all allong) how can i set up my router for that to stay stable?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users