Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet drops every 15 to 30 minutes :<

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#1 Kiwi1990

Kiwi1990

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 AM

Posted 27 June 2014 - 09:10 PM

Hello all,

I hope anyone can help me with this problem since it starting to get really frustrating when playing games.

My internet started dropping at exactly 15 minute intervals since 3 days now. Most of today the intervals arn't at exactly 15 minutes anymore but sometimes with a half our interval and few times exactly 1 hour.

In the windows event viewer i see regular warning messages at the times the disconnects happen with the message:

Name resolution for the name "randomadreshere" timed out after none of the configured DNS servers responded.

Though this error does not show for every disconnect i am having.

What steps did i try:

1 Take the power of the modem and router for 30 secconds, plug modem back in wait til its fully booted. Then do the same for the router and lastly the pc.

2 Contact my ISP, they told me they looked at the modem and did not see downtime with the intervals i described and refused to help me any further. Told me to contact cisco because i use their router.

3 Did a firmware update on the router (this also put it back to standard settings, so thats 2 things in one go)

4 Then a friend told me to try and do this in cmd:

ipconfig /release

ipconfig /renew

ipconfig /flushdns

Additional information:

Modemtype: unknown will need to look it up, standard from the ISP

Routertype: Cisco linksys e3000

Computer is running windows 7 64

I'm on a wired connection.

All the 'solutions' didnt do a thing and i have ran out of idea's. I really hope anyone on this forum can help me since i need to have a stable connection this sunday evening for a game.

If not i will have to dissapoint a few friends sadly (again...) :(

English is not my main language, so if i need to explain something better please tell!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,998 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 AM

Posted 28 June 2014 - 12:49 AM

Kiwi1990, Welcome to BC Forums! :)

Have you tried downloading & installing a Ethernet driver on your computer? Your OEM likely has the latest one for your computer. Drivers, like any other software, can get corrupted. 

We need more information about your computer, so please follow these instructions to post your specs. 

[LIST]
[*]Go to [url=http://www.piriform.com/speccy]Piriform's website[/url], and click the big download.png button.[/*]
[*]Next, click [url=http://www.piriform.com/speccy/download/standard]Download from Piriform.com[/url] (the FileHippo link requires an extra click). Or if you want to use a portable version of Speccy (which doesn't require installation), click the builds page link and download the portable version.[/*]
[*]You will now be asked where you want to save the file. The best place to put it is the Desktop, as it will be easy to find later.[/*]
[*]After the file finishes downloading, you are ready to run Speccy. If you downloaded the installer, simply double-click on it and follow the prompts until installation is complete. If you downloaded the portable version, you will need to unzip it before use. Right-click the ZIP file and click Extract all. Click Next. Open up the extracted folder and double-click on Speccy.[/*]
[*]Once inside Speccy, it will look similar to this (with your computer's specifications, of course):
p22004369.gif[/*]
[*]Now, at the top, click File > Publish Snapshot[/*]
[*]You will see the following prompt:
p22004371.gif[/*]
[*]Click Yes > then Copy to Clipboard
p22004372.gif[/*]
[*]Now, once you are back in the forum topic you are posting in, click the p22004370.gif button. Right-click in the empty space of the Reply box and click Paste. Then, click Add Reply below the Reply box.[/*]
[*]Congrats! You have just posted your specs![/*]
[/LIST]

Looking forward to your reply.

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#3 Kiwi1990

Kiwi1990
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2014 - 01:08 AM

Heya, thank you for your responce!

I have not updated my ethernet drivers as i dont know how to do that :blush:

Here are my specs: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/7NUT0PnceMLpk83Qp2NvIzj

#4 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,998 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2014 - 01:37 AM

I've looked over your report & cannot see through it what may be the cause. 

What is the make & model of your computer? We need to find that networking driver. 

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#5 Kiwi1990

Kiwi1990
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2014 - 01:43 AM

It is not a general storebought computer. I bought it at a dutch website where you can pick what you want in it (graphics card, processor, space of harddrives, the case etc) and then they build it for you.

However under Network adapters it shows the "Realtek PCI GBE Family Controller". I dont know if that is the information you are looking for though.

#6 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,998 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2014 - 01:44 AM

Do you run regular scans with a anti-malware software, such as Malwarebytes? 

If not, it's good to do so. There will be a Trial version to Premium offered, you can choose to accept or deny. 

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/malwarebytes-anti-malware/

Cat

#7 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,998 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2014 - 01:50 AM

The driver you need is the top option, Version 7.086 (2014/6/3), you'll need to select your locality, may appear different on your end than mine. 

http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=13&PFid=5&Level=5&Conn=4&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false

Also type Device Manager in your Search box, click onto the option, you'll see your networking devices. Look for any warning signs, or question marks. Right click that connection (Realtek PCI GBE Family Controller), select Properties, then Power Management, check to see if the power savings option is checked. If so, uncheck it, click OK & reboot. You don't need power savings enabled on a desktop for networking. 

Cat

Edited by cat1092, 28 June 2014 - 01:58 AM.

#8 Kiwi1990

Kiwi1990
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2014 - 01:59 AM

I have to agree i have to scan more regularily. (i usually do it once every 1 or 2 months and most of the time comes back empty)

I have run mbam this evening multiple times(also ran Avira afterwards when it was done, nothing found there), the first time it found PUPS. But the log file for that scan shows empty with no timer It was for PUP.Optional.MySearchDial.A

Here is a fresh scan and log for you.

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
www.malwarebytes.org

Scan Date: 28-6-2014
Scan Time: 8:50:31
Logfile:
Administrator: Yes

Version: 2.00.2.1012
Malware Database: v2014.06.28.01
Rootkit Database: v2014.06.23.02
License: Free
Malware Protection: Disabled
Malicious Website Protection: Disabled
Self-protection: Disabled

CPU: x64
File System: NTFS
User: Nakken

Scan Type: Threat Scan
Result: Completed
Objects Scanned: 315406
Time Elapsed: 7 min, 27 sec

Memory: Enabled
Startup: Enabled
Filesystem: Enabled
Archives: Enabled
Rootkits: Enabled
Heuristics: Enabled
PUP: Enabled
PUM: Enabled

Processes: 0
(No malicious items detected)

Modules: 0

Registry Keys: 0

Registry Values: 0

Registry Data: 0

Folders: 0

Files: 0

Physical Sectors: 0

(end)

In the mean time i will update that driver :)

(You are my hero and saviour if you can fix this problem for me, i get a bit grumpy if my internet isnt reliable haha)

#9 Kiwi1990

Kiwi1990
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2014 - 02:04 AM

The driver has been updated :)

#10 Kiwi1990

Kiwi1990
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2014 - 02:05 AM

Just see a dc again at 9.03 but that could be because of the driver update right? Since it does fall into line of timing with the other dc's.

edit: Name resolution for the name public-test.patch.battle.net timed out after none of the configured DNS servers responded.

at time: 9:08

edit2: Name resolution for the name safebrowsing.google.com timed out after none of the configured DNS servers responded.

at time 9:23

edit3: Oops i had read over this part (saw the edit only later): Also type Device Manager in your Search box, click onto the option, you'll see your networking devices. Look for any warning signs, or question marks. Right click that connection (Realtek PCI GBE Family Controller), select Properties, then Power Management, check to see if the power savings option is checked. If so, uncheck it, click OK & reboot. You don't need power savings enabled on a desktop for networking.

That is done now aswell

Edited by Kiwi1990, 28 June 2014 - 02:55 AM.

#11 davnel

davnel

• Members
  • 590 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:21 AM

Posted 28 June 2014 - 10:16 AM

I have a Motorola SurfBoard cable modem, and a Netgear router. When the internet drops out, the first thing I notice is the internet connection light on the router goes from normal green to yellow (lost the net). Then the signal lights on the modem go out indicating that the modem has lost signal. When the internet returns, the modem lights sequence down until normal operation is restored. This occurs because my local ISP is in the process of upgrading our network to fiber and they break the line for a short time occasionally (less than one minute). The timing of these breaks is random, but seldom occur before 7AM or after 4:30PM.

If you watch the lights on the modem, it can tell you a lot. If the problem is in your computer, setup, drivers, etc., then the modem lights will remain steadily on with the "Link" light flashing. If the problem is the signal to the modem, then the lights will all go out until the signal returns. THAT is an ISP problem. They are responsible for getting the signal to the modem, and can be called upon to correct the problem if it's not happening. The exact timing bothers me though. You might also want to check the cable connections at the modem and at the wall to make sure they are tight. It's best to remove them and reinsert them to clean any corrosion off the center wire. You want them just over finger tight.

Is it possible that your ISP, disagreeable though they are, is working on the network?

#12 Kiwi1990

Kiwi1990
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2014 - 10:33 AM

Hello davnel, thank you for your responce :)

I will have to check back at you what the modem/router lights do at the disconnection times (if correct the next one will be at .38 )

I will also try to reconnect the cable to see if that helps. The disconnects are very short, and if im not gaming or in a skype videocall not noticable except for my battlenet app reconnecting the chat.

Its reconnected within a seccond, but long enough down for me to disconnect from any online games(like WoW)/steam/battlenetapp/skypecall.

Maybe shooting blanks here, but i read somewhere that i could ping my modem/router to see if it drops packets, and then do the same for pinging google for a good few minutes.

And then if it drops the packets already at the modem or router that one of them is ready for replacement. Do you know if this is true? And if so how would i do a pingtest exactly? :)

edit: the Router lights did not go off during the disconnect, you want me to check the modem aswell on .53?

Edited by Kiwi1990, 28 June 2014 - 10:41 AM.

#13 davnel

davnel

• Members
  • 590 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2014 - 10:53 AM

Hi:

Open a command prompt window, type ping ip or URL where ip is the ip address you want to ping. For a local loopback address, use 127.0.0.1  For your modem you might try 192.168.100.1. Just tested several, including www.google,com. They work fine.

I don't expect the router lights to go off, but I do expect the internet link light to change color or go off, mine has a circle with a little satellite path on it as a symbol. I have grabbed the user guide for this router, and your internet symbol is similar.

Edited by davnel, 28 June 2014 - 11:00 AM.

#14 Kiwi1990

Kiwi1990
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2014 - 11:04 AM

The light did not go off or change color, they were blinking very quickly the whole time and the pattern didnt change.

Is it possible to ping more than 4 times? lets say 30 times so i can time it with the disconnection time?

#15 davnel

davnel

• Members
  • 590 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2014 - 11:14 AM

At the command prompt, type:    ping /?     to get the help screen for ping (space between g and /).

The quick answer is:   -t   = forever until stopped,    -n for a counted number (n) of pings

Edited by davnel, 28 June 2014 - 11:16 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users