Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

8.1 Random Freeze - WATCHDOG last crash... PSU? Opinions needed.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 FinneyDe

FinneyDe

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 AM

Posted 27 June 2014 - 07:33 PM

Hey guys.

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/ISzjnY7CHSjLtHBZtwepbEd

I've done a memtest today (5.01) passed on 10.  Going to do another test tonight to let it last longer.

There are several factors that are limiting me in figuring this out on my own.  First is I've just left Windows 7 for 8.1, I did a install from a disk I bought from a local store, ON A NEW HARDDRIVE.  This leaves me with learning a some what odd layout when I try to accomplish anything...  I just didn't want anyone thinking I had old drivers from old windows laying around.

The second is its half a new system, half old ... or 1/3 old...  The case, MOBO, CPU, harddrive, and two slower sticks of RAM are 100% new.  The PSU, CD/DVD, and GPU are old (but in working order - maybe)  This first started to happen under HEAVY gaming load (Arma 3, Star Citizen).  It now does it randomly but seems under load when happens (often when I've got a large power draw).  Volts are holding at 11.8 (OCCT), but something makes me think this is a PSU failure issue.  I've only had this setup complete for 3 or 4 days now.

From most recent to earlier minidumps are 

CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT X 2

NTFS_FILE_SYSTEM X 1

KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED X 1

WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR X 1

3 of the 5 logged crashes are in relation to ntoskrnl.exe

I think its important to note the characteristics of a forced restart - I'm not only getting a bluescreen, windows will force a restart perhaps once out of 4 or 5 lockups/crashes.  I am also getting a complete lockup - as to where the only option is to power down the unit using a physical buttons on the case.  I've watched my temperatures and they are not the issue.  Under heavy load I go 51C CPU, and 64C GPU.  I've got additional cooling options on the way anyways (because the stock fan is crap that came with CPU), and I've also got a larger PSU on the way, because I plan to crossfire down the road here.  

My main concern is - do you guys think this is a PSU?  I mean - a power failure could start to throw these random dumps I'm checking out...  or am I just being a 8.1 noob and need to look up conflicting/missing drivers?

I'd love some help guys.

If you need additional information or want me to upload the dumps to a location, let me know.

UPDATE 6/29/2014 : I left it running last night running another memtest, this time with all sticks in it (the last one was with the two sticks that game with it - the mushkin).  Woke to see 3 passes, 12 errors.  Tst 7, Pass 2, Counts ranging from 3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12...

Removed the mushkin sticks, and left the other two (moved to the correct position) and tested test 7 again, with no errors (8 passes), and 5 passes on full test...

So its either the configuration of RAM is not liked, but is correct - or one of these little bastards is bad.  I'm going to use the 2 old sticks today and see if I come across any lockups.

I also went a head and unticked my CPU from the OS (bcdedit /set disabledynamictick yes) - and I'm going to start hunting common issues that lead to other freezes (installing windows 8.1, but some programs are still configured for 7 even with a fresh install I hear).  Trying these fixes in groups of onez twozy so I can report which one was a fix.

Edited by FinneyDe, 28 June 2014 - 07:38 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 FinneyDe

FinneyDe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 AM

Posted 29 June 2014 - 12:30 PM

Ok - I was running a Catalyst driver tool that AMD hosts, had the ASUS BIOS CPU control also ("ai Tweak" - for overclocking the CPU.)

I noticed that some how in the Catalyst CPU control area, that it was trying to overclock the CPU, and in the ai Tweak it was trying ot have it at a flat 4.  I removed the Catalyst drivers completely, went into tweak the CPU speed again (and it was set at 4.3 now in ai tweak, as if Catalyst was intercepting it).  Since then I've ran without issue.

So here we go - 1 bad RAM stick, unticked CPU from windows 8.1 (bcdedit /set disabledyanimctick), 2 conflicting drivers over CPU control...

I'll report back if it starts to freeze again, but I feel this might be solved....

THANKS FOR THE HELP GUYS! ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users