Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"Reboot and select proper boot device"/Error BIOHD-2

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Bender1111

Bender1111

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 AM

Posted 27 June 2014 - 06:29 PM

Okay so I've been having problems with this machine for the last couple months. It started with going slow and lagging. I chalked it up as Viruses but never got around to dealing with it.

Than a month ago I had the first big 'incident' where a glass bottle fell behind my desk and slammed into the back of the computer and it later wouldn't boot up, blank screen, etc. This incident is noted here:

What I found was removing one of the RAM sticks from a certain slot and the computer would work. We figured the Motherboard was partially damaged at one of the connectors. It would work but much much slower and with the occasional crash

Than a week ago I started having this second problem. The computer would have a black screen when turned on. The solution I found was a firm fist slam to the tower. It would then boot as normal. This worked for the last two weeks. Today after I had to reset because the internet wouldn't work, I couldn't get it to turn on. It shows the Compaq loading screen, but then after a longer than normal time it shows "Reboot and select proper boot device". After doing the diagnostic it finds the error "BIOHD-2". No amount of fist slams so far has bypassed this problem

I have a Compaq Presario running Windows 7.

I have read that certain Seagate HD's were manufactured badly and they'd replace them. Would mine qualify?: Barracuda 7200.12

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2014 - 06:49 PM

Hi,

You need to take your serial number to the Seagate site and see if it qualifies. After than you might need to look at replacing the motherboard so you can install enough RAM to get reasonable speed from the system.

Not sure what the next step would be as there are too many possibilities to guess at which one is the correct one. An operational HDD and an operational motherboard may be all that's needed.

As you are installing the software be sure to include a security product. Today's Internet is no place to play without protection.

Keep us posted

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 Bender1111

Bender1111
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2014 - 09:00 PM

Right now my main focus though is getting any necessary info off the HD if it IS having issues. I definately plan on replacing the motherboard and everything later though

I popped in a Linux disk I had and did the 'Try me' feature and apparently the computer "knows" the HD is there, and it knows it's name and the second partition on it.  It wouldn't let me access it I can't remember what happened exactly but it just kinda loaded out. I tested this to make sure it wasn't just 'remembering the name' by taking the HDD out after too

I'm also wondering on the "Why?" factor. Did the harddrive actually crash? I find it hard to believe it just decided now to crash, maybe it's a side effect of using a bad MOBO?

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,668 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 AM

Posted 29 June 2014 - 09:18 PM

"firm fist slam to the tower" Probably didn't do the hard drive any good as it was spinning up.

Your hard drive has probably failed. You can try reseating any power and data cables to the drive and see if it boots.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Hardware/Error-Code-BIOHD-2/td-p/953091

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Lockups-Freezes-Hangs/error-code-BIOHD-2/td-p/333681

Edit: Can you attach the drive to another computer?

Edited by JohnC_21, 29 June 2014 - 09:28 PM.

#5 Bender1111

Bender1111
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2014 - 09:42 PM

Hehe, yeah, I know it probably wasn't the best idea but for a time it actually did get the comp to start up

Also, the HDD doesn't make any scraping, loud, clicking, or any particular sound other than the regular whirling...and yes my next step is find another computer to hook it up to

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,668 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 AM

Posted 29 June 2014 - 09:48 PM

When you connect it to another computer, go to Disk Managment and see if it lists the drive as RAW. If you take the side panel off the computer and boot, do you hear the drive spinning up?

#7 Bender1111

Bender1111
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2014 - 02:28 PM

Well I got on my brothers computer today and swapped the harddrive for mine and it said "Boot disk failure" and that was that. There was no 'clicking sounds' that i could hear, I think. No scraping. Just sounded like a spinning harddrive

I was going to try putting mine in as the second harddrive after finding the wires but for some reason the computer is now asking for the login pass...so I can't use it until I get the pass

Edited by Bender1111, 07 July 2014 - 02:29 PM.

#8 Bender1111

Bender1111
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2014 - 04:07 PM

UPDATE:

I found an old Windows XP computer that had SATA ports and got it hooked up. It took much longer to boot than normal and went into Dskchk and checking for constitency. It says the name of the Drive at the top I named it so that seems good. It was on step 1 verifying but it's stopped at about 4% and now says:

"File record segment 59432 is unreadable." and is now listing this message a couple times right now

#9 Bender1111

Bender1111
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2014 - 05:21 PM

??????

Anybody?!? I have a game I was working on weeks and weeks of work it's literally the only thing I want to get off this thing

#10 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2014 - 03:00 PM

If you can connect the drive up to a different computer - one where  it will not be the primary/boot drive you may be able to read the drive and get your work off of it

I'm not going to say anything about doing regular backups to an external or off site drive

Keep us posted

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users