Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Media Player suddenly went berserk...

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 fdw45

fdw45

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 AM

Posted 27 June 2014 - 05:45 PM

Hi guys! Big fan of the site.

Specs: Windows 7 Home Premium, service pack 1, 64-bit

Window Media Player product version 12.0.7601.18150

This may be a larger issue involving a virus and not WMP itself (I'm not sure), so let me just start with what's been going on.

I started having issues trying to burn a music cd after I updated Windows (which I rarely do), so I ran Malwarebytes and Avast scans (both free versions) which detected and deleted a few things. On reboot, the desktop could not be found. I restarted again and everything seemed to go back to normal. Rescanned and rebooted some more. All looked fine.

Except when I started WMP it made me reconfigure settings, and stopped playing video files correctly. The audio will play (eventually) but no image. I tested with videos I've had and played many times before. I tried reinstalling codecs and it made no difference. It was still playing music files just fine. Now today it seems to have gotten progressively worse. It will no longer play certain music from a file, either, and in fact often stops responding to any command (spinning wheel of death). I did try turning WMP functionality off and then back on via the Features settings, which made absolutely no difference.

Occasionally I have gotten error messages on startup, citing problems with atiumdva.dll, atiadlxy.dll, and javaw.exe however they don’t appear every time.

I’d really appreciate any tips or thoughts… do I just have a virus my scanners aren’t catching? Did one of the updates go wrong and mess things up?

I do not have any restore points (other than factory) and really would prefer not to go that route if possible.

Anyway, thanks in advance for your help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 PM

Posted 28 June 2014 - 03:15 AM

For your reference.

I suggest you start a topic in the malware removal logs thread.

TsVk!

#3 fdw45

fdw45
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 AM

Posted 28 June 2014 - 12:48 PM

Thank you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users