Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No AV Software Needed?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 bonnie848

bonnie848

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 PM

Posted 27 June 2014 - 03:41 PM

This guy claims AV protection is already built into our browsers, and our OS has FW protection already. Therefore, running AV software is overkill.

Any truth to this?

http://www.cnet.com/how-to/i-dont-use-anti-virus-software-am-i-nuts/?ftag=CAD7dba523&s_cid=e796&tag=nl.e796&ttag=e796

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2014 - 03:47 PM

Personally I do not use any AV or anti-malware on my computers however, I have very specific installation policies setup on windows and I am extremely experienced when using the internet, I know how to browse safely and what not to click on, I also verify questionable links using virustotal.com, use ad-block and noscript, and have a custom firewall with add-ons. In the past 10 years, I have had 0 infections.

For the majority of users (unless they go to the extent I do with browser add-ons, firewalls, and group policy), I strongly recommend having both anti-virus software and anti-malware as well as keeping them up to date.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#3 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 PM

Posted 27 June 2014 - 03:50 PM

I use Defender in Windows 8 just like this guy does.  It's built in to Windows 8 with the MSE (Microsoft Security Essentials) antivirus.  If you're using an earlier version of Windows you can get one of several free versions of antivirus programs including MSE, AVG, Avast, and probably others.  I would not want nor recommend running Windows Vista or 7 without adding one of these.  And I wouldn't recommend XP for anybody since MS dropped support of it back 4/8/14.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#4 bonnie848

bonnie848
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2014 - 03:50 PM

Zingo: What is noscript, and can you explain more about how you customized your firewall with addons?

#5 scotty_ncc1701

scotty_ncc1701

• Members
  • 520 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2014 - 04:29 PM

1.  "No script" is a firefox add-on to prevent, or reduce what scripts are ran within the browser.  I have one add-on that I can put in individual sites to keep from going to them accidently.

2.  I don't agree with about no AV programs.  Avast has saved my bacon countless times.

3.  I don't trust Microsoft Security Essentials, or Defender.  I use Avast.

4.  I especially don't trust AVG AV.

5.  I believe in "an ounce of prevention is worth two tons of cure".  I haven't had a virus, malware, or hack in almost 20 years (20 years next year).

6.  The person that wrote the article is walking a grey line; some would call it lieing.  Yes, I said I don't trust AVG, MSE, or Defender, but the person playing word games.  The person in the article said that he doesn't use any security software, and that's a wrong; Defender is security software, so he uses security software.  Playing word games, like this person did, is wrong.

7.  I've help people that got infected, using just Defender and the Windows FW.  One time, using an old system of a friend that he was going to give away, he let me reset it and it had defender and Windows FW active, and all patches.  We (he was over for the eventing) went to a site that Avast had blocked for me, and this system got infected, but was never told by defender.  How do I know?  After going to it, I installed AVAST, and ran a scan, it it pitched a fit.  Then Malwarebytes was installed and ran, and it pitched a fit.  I then formatted the computer's hard drive, set it up with only the basic OS (and patches), and he gave it away (promised to a family member).

Have a great day!

#6 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,686 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2014 - 04:56 PM

I've seen those claims many times

The writer does use "protection methods" but the average computer user isn't that savvy on even what he means

--- He has his methods but they still require "procedures" he decides to use

Based on what he's doing, would he allow anyone else to use his computer the way they would use their own computer?

--- I don't think so

--- In other words he's still doing the work on how to keep his computer safe and secure which is fine for him but I don't see how his computer is "shareable" with anyone else: family, friends, visitors

--- Can you imagine in a family situation, an office organization, relying on such an approach?

I have cleaned pc's in which the owner claimed they didn't have any protection but they didn't know there was some minimum protection on their computer

And yes I have cleaned pc's in which the owner had the best protection on their computer

--- In either case, the issue is; computers need maintenance and protection and the average computer user needs help & advice on how to do that on their computer based on what they use it for

#7 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2014 - 05:44 PM

The headline is misleading. 

#8 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2014 - 08:41 PM

No script simply blocks scripts on webpages unless you approve them by manually clicking allow. My firewall makes use of openDNS. I block all ports that I do not use, I only open ports when needed for new software.Windows policies can be used to prevent software from running in known malware used folders such as appdata/temp etc. All of this involves a lot of work...

Even with all of those in place I could still get a virus. I do sometimes run a full scan with malwarebytes or sometimes tdss-killer, but I do not keep them installed, I just run them when something strange happens. So far I have been virus free and also have not picked up any junkware.

You can run without an anti-virus and avoid infection. It just takes a lot of work. Most anti-virus software use firewalls and prevent programs from running without permission. They do the work for you. In most cases, it is just easier to run an anti-virus than do what I do. For most users, anti-virus with an anti-malware program will be the best option.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,754 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2014 - 10:09 PM

My computer runs Windows 8, as secure an operating system as Microsoft has ever released. That's right, I said it. (Windows 7 was nearly as good, and I lived securely in it for years.) In addition to its built-in firewall, the OS offers anti-virus protection in the form of Defender (formerly the standalone Security Essentials), plus SmartScreen for protection from malware and phishing scams.

That statement makes no sense in context to the author's topic title..."I don't use anti-virus software."

Windows 8 integrates Windows Defender on Windows 8, a more robust version of Windows Defender (and uses that name) for its anti-virus and anti-malware protection. Although it uses the same name, it is not the same as Defender in previous operating systems. Windows 8 Defender provides the same level of protection against malware as Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE). And slthough Windows Defender in Windows 8 provides the same level of protection against malware as MSE, it is not the same so his use of "formerly the standalone Security Essentials" is not entirely accurate.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#10 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,556 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:58 PM

Posted 28 June 2014 - 10:15 PM

"No script" is a firefox add-on to prevent, or reduce what scripts are ran within the browser.

NoScript Configuration Guide

Edited by NickAu1, 28 June 2014 - 10:32 PM.

#11 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,754 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2014 - 10:26 PM

As I continued reading, I noted the author also makes this claim.

Let me be clear: I'm not recommending that everyone ditch their security software and do like I do. I'm merely telling you what has worked for me. The simple combination of built-in security tools and some common-sense caution has kept my computers secure for years -- and for free. How do I know for sure? Every so often I run Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free. Never so much as a blip.

While Malwarebytes is very good...No single product is 100% foolproof and can prevent, detect and remove all threats at any given time. That is why you need both an anti-virus and an anti-malware solution for maximum protection.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users