Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No Internet Connection

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#1 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,227 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 AM

Posted 27 June 2014 - 03:14 PM

I am having issues again as I new I would, stupid Linux!  Can't connect to internet, I'm guessing that is because I went from my house Ethernet to the Library wireless.  I figured it out the other day but cannot replicate now.

I am in the process of Installing LMME to my HDD, without a internet connection I don't know what I will do next, I hate Linux!  Why would they make it so difficult, and, the dialogue boxes that pop up don't tell you any good information.

Note: This was a issue with LuPu, LMCE and LMME.  Are those the right abbreviations or should there be a Q in there somewhere.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_Kaosu_*

Guest_Kaosu_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 27 June 2014 - 03:39 PM

This is happening because your network interface card has its drivers built into the kernel, so it can easily connect to the Internet. Your wireless card does not have the drivers loaded by default.

Your speccy link shows you have an Intel® PRO/Wireless 3945ABG card. This card should be supported. The module name seems to be iwl3945.

You can try each of the following steps in order and then check to see if your wireless card is functioning. If one step does not work, or you can't complete it, move on to the next step. If you follow a particular step and the wireless card works, tell me which step corrected the issue so we can make the change permanent.

I am going to assume LMME is Linux Mint Mate Edition? There are thousands of distributions out there, so you should be more specific when requesting support. Also, only a handful of these distributions have good hardware support out of the box. So, you should really stick to a mainstream distribution for good support.

Here is a list of distributions that I have personally used and that had great hardware support without any additional tweaking:

• Ubuntu, Xubuntu, Lubuntu, etc.
  • Linux Mint (any edition)
  • Debian (stable or testing)
  • Fedora
  • OpenSuse

Each step will require you to execute a command in the terminal. You can often find this in your applications menu on many popular GNU/Linux distributions. Do a quick Google search for your particular distribution if you can't easily locate it.

Step 1) Try manually loading the correct module. If the correct module is installed, this will load the driver and allow your wireless card to function:

sudo modprobe -r iwl3945
sudo modprobe iwl3945

Step 2) You can try installing the correct drivers from the official repositories.You will need to modify your sources list and append "contrb non-free" to each entry so you can install the proprietaty drivers.

sudo nano /etc/apt/sources.list

Look for entries similar to deb http://debian.linuxmint.com/latest testing main and modify the lines to look like  deb http://debian.linuxmint.com/latest testing main contrib non-free . Do this for every uncommented entry.

Now update your sources by executing the following command:

sudo apt-get update

If you're using an Ubuntu-based distribution (Ubuntu, Mint, etc.) then you can try reinstalling the driver by using this command:

sudo apt-get install --reinstall linux-firmware 

Follow the on-screen instructions. When the installation completes, reboot your system and see if the wireless card is working. If not, try loading the module again:

sudo modprobe -r iwl3945
sudo modprobe iwl3945

Step 3) Issue the following commands and tell me their output. This will allow me to see if the driver is correctly loaded and if there are any errors happening in the background.

sudo dmesg | grep -i iwl
sudo lsmod | less

You can try these and get back to me with the results.

Edited by Kaosu, 27 June 2014 - 06:50 PM.

#3 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2014 - 09:57 PM

Kaosu, Thanks for the additional instructions! :)

My issue isn't networking, however as a 5 year & ongoing LInux Mint user (Mate x64), I needed some of those instructions to fetch updated graphic drivers. 

Looking forward to your continued participation, as we need all of the Linux experience on board that we can have. 

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#4 Guest_Kaosu_*

Guest_Kaosu_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 27 June 2014 - 11:56 PM

Kaosu, Thanks for the additional instructions! :)

My issue isn't networking, however as a 5 year & ongoing LInux Mint user (Mate x64), I needed some of those instructions to fetch updated graphic drivers. 

Looking forward to your continued participation, as we need all of the Linux experience on board that we can have. 

Cat

I am happy that I was able to be of assistance. :)

Edited by Kaosu, 27 June 2014 - 11:56 PM.

#5 Winterland

Winterland

• Members
  • 996 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 PM

Posted 28 June 2014 - 06:12 AM

Hello there Kaosu.

I would just like to welcome you and +1 Cat's "thanks!" for the information and instructions.

I don't have the issues that the OP has but I have (as of late) experienced a great deal of frustration with Linux and specifically, Linux Mint MATE (which I'm on right now :lol: ) and have s-l-o-w-l-y been learning about Mint and Linux but there have been times when I've thrown my hands up in the air and, perhaps, have uttered a curse word or two.

I am a dual-booter, and most likely always will be due to my workplace requiring a Windows environment, so in those moments, I jump back into my Windows side and look for answers, but it's been - at times - somewhat frustrating.

I'm not giving up, by any means, but I did want to post my experiences as a cautionary tale to those who might be thinking about jumping over to the Linux side. I strongly recommend it, but it can be frustrating at times, but it is always worth it.

Hope the OP doesn't give up on Linux.

onward,

Winterland

Photobucket removed my cool flag - idiots!

Every calculation based on experience elsewhere fails in New Mexico.

#6 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,227 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2014 - 12:58 PM

This is happening because your network interface card has its drivers built into the kernel, so it can easily connect to the Internet. Your wireless card does not have the drivers loaded by default.

Your speccy link shows you have an Intel® PRO/Wireless 3945ABG card. This card should be supported. The module name seems to be iwl3945.

You can try each of the following steps in order and then check to see if your wireless card is functioning. If one step does not work, or you can't complete it, move on to the next step. If you follow a particular step and the wireless card works, tell me which step corrected the issue so we can make the change permanent.

I am going to assume LMME is Linux Mint Mate Edition? There are thousands of distributions out there, so you should be more specific when requesting support. Also, only a handful of these distributions have good hardware support out of the box. So, you should really stick to a mainstream distribution for good support.

Here is a list of distributions that I have personally used and that had great hardware support without any additional tweaking:

• Ubuntu, Xubuntu, Lubuntu, etc.
  • Linux Mint (any edition)
  • Debian (stable or testing)
  • Fedora
  • OpenSuse

Each step will require you to execute a command in the terminal. You can often find this in your applications menu on many popular GNU/Linux distributions. Do a quick Google search for your particular distribution if you can't easily locate it.

Step 1) Try manually loading the correct module. If the correct module is installed, this will load the driver and allow your wireless card to function:

sudo modprobe -r iwl3945
sudo modprobe iwl3945

Step 2) You can try installing the correct drivers from the official repositories.You will need to modify your sources list and append "contrb non-free" to each entry so you can install the proprietaty drivers.

sudo nano /etc/apt/sources.list

Look for entries similar to deb http://debian.linuxmint.com/latest testing main and modify the lines to look like  deb http://debian.linuxmint.com/latest testing main contrib non-free . Do this for every uncommented entry.

Now update your sources by executing the following command:

sudo apt-get update

If you're using an Ubuntu-based distribution (Ubuntu, Mint, etc.) then you can try reinstalling the driver by using this command:

sudo apt-get install --reinstall linux-firmware 

Follow the on-screen instructions. When the installation completes, reboot your system and see if the wireless card is working. If not, try loading the module again:

sudo modprobe -r iwl3945
sudo modprobe iwl3945

Step 3) Issue the following commands and tell me their output. This will allow me to see if the driver is correctly loaded and if there are any errors happening in the background.

sudo dmesg | grep -i iwl
sudo lsmod | less

You can try these and get back to me with the results.

What? I don't know what you are talking about lol. but thanks anyway.  I don't have any issues in XP, would that matter.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#7 Guest_Kaosu_*

Guest_Kaosu_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 28 June 2014 - 03:52 PM

What? I don't know what you are talking about lol. but thanks anyway.  I don't have any issues in XP, would that matter.

What exactly are you having problems with? You can type these commands into your terminal and see if your wireless card begins working.

No, it wouldn't matter that you don't have any issues with Windows XP. You would have the same issue in Windows XP if you didn't have the device driver installed for your wireless card. Luckily for you, your wireless card is well supported in GNU/Linux. Your distribution just isn't loading the correct driver by default or does not have the proper firmware package installed.

My original instructions will first try to unload/reload the driver to see if this corrects the issue. If not, it will try to install the correct firmware package so all of your hardware will be supported. In the event that none of the steps up to this point work, the third step is just to share diagnostic information with the forum so we can try to identify and correct any possible errors.

Here is a video that shows you how to open the terminal in Mint. Skip to about 30 seconds into the video and you can see her open a terminal window.

Once you have a terminal open, just ignore the rest of the video and follow my original instructions. You just type one command at a time and hit enter, then move on to the next command. After completing all commands/instructions for a particular step, check to see if your wireless card is working.

Edited by Kaosu, 28 June 2014 - 03:55 PM.

#8 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,685 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 AM

Posted 28 June 2014 - 05:01 PM

I went from my house Ethernet to the Library wireless.

So at your house the internet works?

I figured it out the other day but cannot replicate now.

You had WiFi going?

LuPu is a puppy Linux, Barrys simple network connector should sort that out.

Connect Puppy Linux To WiFi (SNS)

stupid Linux!

Not.

Edited by NickAu1, 28 June 2014 - 07:08 PM.

#9 Guest_Kaosu_*

Guest_Kaosu_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 28 June 2014 - 06:46 PM

So at your house the internet works?

He is able to connect to the Internet using a wired connection. However, when he tries to connect to a wireless network, he is unable to connect. He has not given any information other than it does not seem to be working, so I am assuming he just does not have the drivers loaded. His particular wireless card is well supported, so he just needs a little tweaking to get it up and running.

His original post states that he was installing "LMME", so I assumed this was Linux Mint Mate Edition, hence why I gave him instructions specific to Mint.

I would be hesitant to use a third-party script for such a simple task. This will likely be resolved with a few simple commands and a third-party tool simply adds another needless layer of abstraction which could actually do more damage than good. Also, since he seems to be using Linux Mint, I am unsure how compatible such a script would be.

This is a very simple issue that shouldn't be made into a complicated one. We should focus on him following the instructions in my original post before giving him new ideas that could make following my instructions that much harder if a script blacklists a required module, loads an incorrect module which could result in system instability, etc.

Hopefully I don't come off as rude. I apologize sincerely if I have offended you.

Edited by Kaosu, 28 June 2014 - 06:57 PM.

#10 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,685 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 AM

Posted 28 June 2014 - 07:03 PM

Hopefully I don't come off as rude. I apologize sincerely if I have offended you.

Not at all, You are trying to help and give great advice. All good here. Hope to see you around the Linux section more.

By that I figure he has had WiFi going at some stage, But now hasn't got a clue on how to reconnect.

More info is always good.

I would be hesitant to use a third-party script for such a simple task

Agreed, Most likley he just needs instructions on how to add a connection.

Its why I put the Link to How to connect puppy to WiFi because the OP mentions LuPu.

Edited by NickAu1, 28 June 2014 - 07:07 PM.

#11 Guest_Kaosu_*

Guest_Kaosu_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 28 June 2014 - 07:31 PM

Not at all, You are trying to help and give great advice. All good here. Hope to see you around the Linux section more.

By that I figure he has had WiFi going at some stage, But now hasn't got a clue on how to reconnect.

More info is always good.

I would be hesitant to use a third-party script for such a simple task

Agreed, Most likley he just needs instructions on how to add a connection.

Its why I put the Link to How to connect puppy to WiFi because the OP mentions LuPu.

No worries.

Truthfully, it could be a lot of little simple problems. I guess we won't know for sure until he comes back and posts more information. The information we will get from step 3 should allow me to verify or eliminate possible driver issues. Once this is out of the way, we shouldn't have any issues getting the problem resolved.

Thanks for joining the discussion, Nick. :)

Edited by Kaosu, 28 June 2014 - 07:32 PM.

#12 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2014 - 01:55 AM

I am having issues again as I new I would, stupid Linux!  

You're having issues because you're learning, it's part of the process. Did you learn Windows in a weekend? 

No, it's not 'Stupid Linux', it's that you're new to the OS. 

Believe me, over 5 years back, wished I was receiving the support you're getting. For the most part, had to Google search for answers, as some members was giving me conflicting advice. In other words,  feel that you're in good hands, believe you're maybe tying to push too hard. Don't do this, learn at your pace. In a few months, you'll ditch XP.

Because there's a Linux tool; for nearly everything you want or need. Including networking configuration & drivers.

Cat                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#13 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,227 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 AM

Posted 29 June 2014 - 12:21 PM

Once you have a terminal open, just ignore the rest of the video and follow my original instructions. You just type one command at a time and hit enter, then move on to the next command. After completing all commands/instructions for a particular step, check to see if your wireless card is working.

Now this I understand lol. thanks. 

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#14 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,227 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2014 - 12:31 PM

Hello there Kaosu.

I would just like to welcome you and +1 Cat's "thanks!" for the information and instructions.

I don't have the issues that the OP has but I have (as of late) experienced a great deal of frustration with Linux and specifically, Linux Mint MATE (which I'm on right now :lol: ) and have s-l-o-w-l-y been learning about Mint and Linux but there have been times when I've thrown my hands up in the air and, perhaps, have uttered a curse word or two.

I am a dual-booter, and most likely always will be due to my workplace requiring a Windows environment, so in those moments, I jump back into my Windows side and look for answers, but it's been - at times - somewhat frustrating.

I'm not giving up, by any means, but I did want to post my experiences as a cautionary tale to those who might be thinking about jumping over to the Linux side. I strongly recommend it, but it can be frustrating at times, but it is always worth it.

Hope the OP doesn't give up on Linux.

onward,

Winterland

I very much appreciate this post as I don't feel as alone lol.  I have heard other people say similar things about Linux but none to me via a post.  I also was/am trying to accomplish too many things all at once with pc.  As I have said here many times before I am suffering some serious digestive issues and it has affected my comprehension among many other things.  It really hurts me to have to be so dumb ya know.  I used to be pretty smart but now I just get by.  Linux looks to be an awesome OS for computer literate folks but not for the beginner who just wants to DO stuff/work and just move on.  They have done a good job for the most part but if they really want to succeed then they will have to have better organization as far as newbie's can find the answers they need.  And, they need to have one OS that will just get a person up and running without any techie knowledge.  A good start would be the websites. 

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#15 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,227 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 AM

Posted 29 June 2014 - 12:46 PM

I went from my house Ethernet to the Library wireless.

So at your house the internet works?  It's complicated to answer this so I will move on.

You had WiFi going?  Yes wifi was working at home and at the library.

LuPu is a puppy Linux, Barrys simple network connector should sort that out.  This did not work.

Connect Puppy Linux To WiFi (SNS)

stupid Linux!

Not.  Common, it's a little stupid right? just kidding.  I understand at least partly that it is not really for some people.  Having to enter script commands common, this is not for beginners.  I believe the issue is my stupidity and got infected again.

I will not go back to LucidPuppy anytime soon, my system should be able to run bigger and better stuff.  I was not having such issues until I tried to disinfect my corrupted USB, I think I did something wrong, my fault.  I "Restored computer to last known settings that worked" via SAFE MODE.  I need to go take a look and see which date the system actually choose to be sure.  I did plug potentially infected usb into flash drive when in XP and LinuxMint.  Yes I am learning, the hard way it seems lol.  thanks I will be watching today for advice and working on getting back to Linux Mint as it is not connecting to the internet at all now, infected? I don't know.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users