Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Should I buy Intel i3 or i5 based from these needs?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 So_Be

So_Be

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:04 PM

Posted 27 June 2014 - 12:32 PM

Hi everybody!

I’m thinking to buy a new laptop but I’m not sure which one to buy basing from my needs. I’m a university student and I’m planning to use it for the next 4 years or so.

USES:

1.Microsoft Office – Word, Powerpoint etc

2.Emailing

3.Web surfing

4.I sometimes use photoshop but only basic stuff (editing my pictures from light to dark etc)

5.I got a lot of pictures but I usually transfer it to my external HD. I love photography though and I usually transfer it to my computer then check the pictures then transfer it to my external HD. My old computer always freeze whenever I do this.

6.I’m not really looking for a very fast computer but I hate sluggish computer as well.

7.I’m debating if I need a built in DVD driver / CD writer now… 80% of me says I prefer it that way. I got CD’s of Powerpoint, Anti Virus, MS office etc that’s why.

I DON’T:

1. Listen to music with my laptop

2. Watch DVD using my laptop

3. Watch Youtube

4.  Play video games

5. Really care for storage size since I got external HD already

6. Really care for brand name but I'm leaning towards Asus based from my explanation below.

7. Really care for touch screen

My first question is…based from my needs – should I buy Intel I3 or I5? I’m thinking to buy Asus (15" to be specific) based from the positive customer service reviews. I prefer a company that can help me when problems arise – I might be wrong though. Is there another laptop company that’s better or good in terms of laptop and customer service quality? I know Apple is great but it’s not within my budget. My max budget is 600 bucks. I also like a laptop that doesn’t look “plastic” or "cheap" looking. I know… but I’m sure there are laptops out there that is less than 600 bucks but it looks decent. J

I think my main focus now is if I should research for Intel I3 or I5 laptops then I go from there. But if you have a 15” laptop recommendation based from my needs, can you pls throw it out? And where’s a good website that I can buy laptops? I know Amazon, B&H and Adorama.

Thank you very much! Sorry for the very long post. 

Edited by So_Be, 27 June 2014 - 12:34 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 AM

Posted 27 June 2014 - 12:48 PM

Asus is a good brand (IMO). You could get by with either an i3 or i5 however since you want to get 4years out of it, I would recommend the i5. As for the computer freezing when copying photo's to the external: sometimes this can indicate a hard drive problem on either the computer end or the external. Be safe and back everything up to at least 3 different devices. External drives can be destroyed by an accidental drop and then there goes all of the data on it unless you want to send it in for expensive data recovery.

I would go for the i5 mainly for a bit more future proofing and photoshop. It seems newer programs are becomming more cpu intensive. By the way, you can get external usb dvd writers for less than $40. So if you really need to install things using a dvd drive just attach it when you need it. You can get thinner and lighter laptops without them built in.

As for websites to buy, I price check compare on Newegg, Amazon, Tiger Direct, Micro center. Sometimes Micro Center will have really good in store deals if you are lucky enough to live close to one, check them out.

Edited by zingo156, 27 June 2014 - 12:50 PM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#3 So_Be

So_Be
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2014 - 08:34 PM

Asus is a good brand (IMO). You could get by with either an i3 or i5 however since you want to get 4years out of it, I would recommend the i5. As for the computer freezing when copying photo's to the external: sometimes this can indicate a hard drive problem on either the computer end or the external. Be safe and back everything up to at least 3 different devices. External drives can be destroyed by an accidental drop and then there goes all of the data on it unless you want to send it in for expensive data recovery.

I would go for the i5 mainly for a bit more future proofing and photoshop. It seems newer programs are becomming more cpu intensive. By the way, you can get external usb dvd writers for less than $40. So if you really need to install things using a dvd drive just attach it when you need it. You can get thinner and lighter laptops without them built in.

As for websites to buy, I price check compare on Newegg, Amazon, Tiger Direct, Micro center. Sometimes Micro Center will have really good in store deals if you are lucky enough to live close to one, check them out.

Thanks BC!

I checked Micro Center and I think they have the laptop that I like.

http://www.microcenter.com/product/428276/K550LA-MS52_156_Laptop_Computer_-_Dark_Gray_with_Concentric_Circle_Finish

But it has a low resolution of 1366x768 for 15.6". It's worth 500 bucks and it's within my budget.

Here's another laptop with better resolution of 1920x1080 but worth 800 bucks.

http://www.microcenter.com/product/431925/N56JN-MB71_156_Laptop_Computer_-_Black_Aluminum

Do you guys think the 300 bucks difference will be worth it in the long run?

Edited by So_Be, 27 June 2014 - 08:35 PM.

#4 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2014 - 08:49 PM

Screen resolution is entirely up to you. Personally I could go either way. The second laptop has a faster cpu, a dedicated video card (better for gaming but you likely wouldn't use it much), and a higher resolution.

The best thing I can do to explain resoltuion will be this: you will be able to fit more on the same size screen. More of a high resolution picture will be viewable without scrolling. The down side to higher resolution on the same size screen is that text will be smaller, you can change text settings though and make up for that.

The higher resolution might be nice, but the dedicated video card in your case likely isn't needed. Also the cheaper computer without a dedicated video card will probably have better battery life.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#5 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,284 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2014 - 02:03 PM

Do you have a back up of the external drive?  It struck a note of concern with me as I've seen too many external hard drives suddenly go south taking all of the data with them.

A lot of the laptops these days are shipping without optical drives.  Rarely do we really need one.  You can purchase a USB  external if you find you need one more often.

#6 So_Be

So_Be
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2014 - 04:11 PM

Thanks Zingo and Kilroy

Yes, I have 2 external HD's with the same copy :-)

Do you guys know other computer shops where I can buy a laptop?

I was about to buy this at Micro Center (see below) but the price went back to its original price (from 500 to 600 bucks). I was really really bummed. It's still cheap but the idea of buying the laptop knowing it was 100 bucks cheaper is really disappointing.

http://www.microcenter.com/product/428276/K550LA-MS52_156_Laptop_Computer_-_Dark_Gray_with_Concentric_Circle_Finish

I'm back to zero shopping for a new laptop. :-(

I'm looking for Asus intel i5 with 8gb ram :-)

Edited by So_Be, 30 June 2014 - 04:12 PM.

#7 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2014 - 07:19 PM

Check online, this will be your best bet. Newegg, Tigerdirect, Amazon, Micro Center all dot com... Just use the model number K550LA-MS52

#8 So_Be

So_Be
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2014 - 03:22 AM

Screen resolution is entirely up to you. Personally I could go either way. The second laptop has a faster cpu, a dedicated video card (better for gaming but you likely wouldn't use it much), and a higher resolution.

The best thing I can do to explain resoltuion will be this: you will be able to fit more on the same size screen. More of a high resolution picture will be viewable without scrolling. The down side to higher resolution on the same size screen is that text will be smaller, you can change text settings though and make up for that.

The higher resolution might be nice, but the dedicated video card in your case likely isn't needed. Also the cheaper computer without a dedicated video card will probably have better battery life.

Thank you Zingo!

Is it safe to say the 800 bucks laptop is kind a overkill based from what I will be using the laptop?

I've been researching for an Asus laptop with 1920x1080 resolution and that's the cheapest that I've seen price wise. I prefer a higher resolution laptop but I'm not even sure if it's worth paying additional 300 bucks just to get a better resolution since I'm on a tight budget atm. But if the resolution has a big difference - quality wise, I might just grab it but I have no point of comparison atm.

I chat with family and friends on skype... is there a big difference quality wise when you see them on video? or not really?

Thanks!

Edited by So_Be, 09 July 2014 - 03:25 AM.

#9 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,792 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 PM

Posted 09 July 2014 - 07:04 AM

As somebody who just got an i5, Guess what I say i5.

#10 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2014 - 07:05 AM

1920*1080p is considered full HD and more than enough for a laptop in my opinion. Unless you have a very good internet connection and good video camera, the limiting factor won't be resolution when you use skype. Also the person you skype with would need a good camera and high speed internet to even reach a resolution of 1920*1080p.

Based on what you mentioned, I don't think you would need a dedicated video card. The newer intel video chip sets are fairly good and power efficient. I woudn't spend the extra money on a dedicated video card unless you plan on playing modern 3d games. The little flash based games on the internet will run fine with the standard built in video chips.

#11 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,792 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 PM

Posted 09 July 2014 - 07:07 AM

I don't think you would need a dedicated video card.

For now I did not bother, So far I have not regretted my decision, If I do need a video card I can easily add 1.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users