Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Pc Behaving Strangely

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 10100

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:51 AM

Posted 28 May 2006 - 07:39 PM

My computer has been acting very strange lately. It is a Compaq Presario 5000 with service pack 2. I also have Norton Internet Security (I've heard it's not very good, but it works well enough) and many anti-spyware applications.

So, when I first got this computer I hardly knew anything about it. It worked fine for the first 6-7 months, though, until it got a blue screen upon start up. So I didn't touch it for about a year or two. But I got QuickRestore discs, as I didn't have the installation disc for Windows XP (home edition).

It was alright for about a year until I encountered the blue screen again. Though I had started to learn about spyware and firewalls, I had no antivirus protection. I went ahead and used the restore discs again. Then the process repeated again...

But now, even though I have learned and I have protection...it's just weird. I always use either Firefox or Opera, but when all of these strange things started happening, I was using Opera.

So, I went to visit a flash site to play a game but I noticed a new window wasn't opening. It seemed as if certain javascript commands wouldn't work...so I went to Firefox and it worked fine. Though one day I restarted I found that my CD drive wasn't functioning. It didn't appear in the My Computer section and nothing happened when I tried to open the tray. All from a simple restart. No settings had been altered and I hardly even use the drive. From then on it seems to work on and off. Sometimes I'll restart and it'll work, and sometimes (about 80% of the time) it won't.

Then I got a faster internet connection. Shortly after that MSN messenger stopped working correctly. If I try to sign in I get an error, and when the troubleshooter runs it checks everything but then pauses before checking the DNS. After that, I close the troubleshooter and attempt to sign in again, but when I push the button nothing happens at all. I then close MSN, but its name stays in the task manager until restart. Opera started to do this as well. I had tried to use another instant messenger, but after installation when I tried to run the application, it didn't even bring up a new window (though its name was in the task manager).

After looking at the MSN messenger help site, I came across this:

If your computer is running Microsoft® Microsoft® Windows® XP, clear the DNS resolver cache.
1. On the taskbar, click Start, and then click Run.
2. In the box, type cmd, and then click OK.
3. At the command prompt, type ipconfig /flushdns, and then press ENTER.

I followed the instructions and pressed enter. Nothing happened within the command prompt. I checked task manager and it had started an ipconfig.exe, though after pressing enter the command prompt was just blank.
It's supposed to look like this, right?

My mouse cursor has also been acting strange. If I go to look at an image (in an internet browser) and click on it, it'll make that blinking line that shows up when you're typing something. It never did that before...

So, am I just confused, or does this computer have some serious problems? :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Merlin_22

Merlin_22

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 PM

Posted 28 May 2006 - 07:45 PM

Hi 10100,

Welcome to Beeping Comptuer, my name is Tony.

Please click here:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/

and make read and follor the instructions CAREFULLY, this is so we can rule out malware.

TONY

Kids Safe Forum <--- Please read the site guidelines before registering. You don't have to be a parent nor have any information. You can register and ask things on the forum if you want.

Update: Kids Safe is bringing out K.S.A, for more information on what it is; click the link below:
http://kidssafe.co.nz/index.php?showtopic=504

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users