Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem with HDD partitions

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 CoastalData

CoastalData

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 AM

Posted 27 June 2014 - 10:12 AM

Hello, my computer was acting up the other day, so I rebooted it, and then it would never come up again, and I get the message \boot\BCD, so I tried rebuilding it, but kept having problems; with both drives in, I could never get the process to complete, and with only the C drive in, I got "Element Not found". I pulled the drives, and the secondary drive (which might have been hosting the boot sector/partition) shows as having problems with the two main data volumes on it.

I'm running Windows 8.1 on a Dell XPS Studio pc. The C Drive is a 500GB Seagate that does not seem to have any problems. The D and E drives are on a 1000GB SeaGate drive, and while the utility partitions don't seem to have any problems, the two data volumes

Crap, now I hooked it up again to my PC via my USB docking station and it says "Not Initialized", but when I first looked at it, SeaTools would not recognize it, but OnTrack did, and it passed the SMART tests, but it reported bad sectors; I started to allow it to work on that, but I've seen partition errors before that were recoverable and it would have been bad to allow all of those sectors to get marked bad.

Can somebody please help? I'd greatly appreciate it!!!

--Jon

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CoastalData

CoastalData
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2014 - 10:35 AM

Aha, I was just reading another excellent post on this site, and just remembered that I have not booted with PartedMagic yet! I think that was the tool that fixed the last drive I had a problem with.

#3 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2014 - 11:38 AM

EasyBCD is another tool you might want to consider.  The effect of bad sectors depends on what's on them.  If one occurs where your BCD is, that could explain your problem.  I take it your're running chkdsk and letting it check for and attempt repair of any bad sectors.

One method I call the hammer and tongs remedy is to carve out about a 30 GB partition and install a bare bones copy of Windows 8 on it.  That recreates the boot info (BCD) with multiple boot.  When you boot, it becomes the default OS, but you can just go to the System applet of the Control Panel and change the default OS back to the original.  Unsophisticated but it takes less than an hour and it WORKS.  :bananas:

Good luck.

Edited by wpgwpg, 27 June 2014 - 11:59 AM.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#4 CoastalData

CoastalData
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2014 - 12:41 PM

I think I may have had a bad memory chip; the onboard self-test failed this morning, and I took out two suspect chips, and it passed the memory tests after that, so maybe that could also help to explain the failure?

I've got the affected disk attached and running Test Disk under Parted right now; not all partitions are visible, and some that are are mislabled, so they must be showing up as "RAW" instead of NTFS. Hopefully TestDisk will be able to fully detect the partition start and ends and then allow me to stabilize the disk enough to duplicate it.

I guess I may have to have a look at EasyBCD, too. Thanks for the heads up!

#5 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2014 - 12:56 PM

EasyBCD is a very useful tool with several functions, one of which is being able to add an Linux OS to the Windows boot menu.

We're fortunate to have such a powerful, feature filled tool at no cost.

Just so happens, I have a 500GB Seagate on hand, it spins but won't show to format. One of the dreaded 7200.11 models (ST3500320AS) of the 2009 era. Ran perfectly fine, one day it just wouldn't boot anymore.

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#6 CoastalData

CoastalData
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2014 - 11:07 AM

It looks like EasyBCD has to be run from within Windows? On the affected machine, I presume... Doesn't look like it can scan a USB attached drive, unless I just haven't identified that capability yet... So how would you use this to fix a machine that won't boot?

@cat1092: I had one of those same drives, and it wouldn't recognize at all... I didn't care about the data, but needed a spare drive, so I ended up running a "Triple DOD Wipe" on the drive with a utility from a disc that I have, and after the completely destructive wipe was done, and all traces of erroneous volumes gone, the drive worked perfectly.

#7 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2014 - 11:40 PM

Hi CoastalData, 

How did you get this to take place when the drive doesn't show anywhere, not even the BIOS? I've tired plugging in into a docking station which is working well, have tried installing it in other computers. It spins fine, not not readable. 

Back in 2009/2010, there were tons of forum posts in regards to this drive, as well as a few tricks to get it going. The removal of the circuit board was required & some makeshift cables needed. Being that I was able to recover from a backup taken just days earlier, there was minimal data loss. 

Was it DBAN that you wiped the drive with? 

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users