Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

From XP to Linux?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 saul23

saul23

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 AM

Posted 27 June 2014 - 07:08 AM

I am not sure if either the Windows or Linux sub categories are the right destinations for this post, if not I apologise pre-emptively. I have a small ten inch net-book it was bought in 2009 and it shipped with Windows XP, I have not used it for some weeks and with Microsoft no longer supporting the OS and myself not being able to afford an extra MS license. My question is can Linux be a suitable replacement and if so could you please recommend the Linux edition(s) that would suit, it is not a high spec machine with just 1 gb of memory and a 120 gb hdd, the graphics are integrated and is powered by an intel Atom cpu. I would be  thankful for any help, Thank you     Saul  UK.

Edited by hamluis, 27 June 2014 - 08:43 AM.
Moved from XP to Linux - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,700 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 PM

Posted 27 June 2014 - 08:10 AM

Hi saul :welcome:  to Bc.

Yes Linux will suit that laptop fine.

Might I suggest

Linux Mint 17 “Qiana” Xfce released!

Download Ubuntu Desktop | Download | Ubuntu

MX-14 "Symbiosis" | Mepis Community

you need the 32 bit ISO.

Just to start. Has that machine got a CD/DVD drive? If not to problems. Select an iso from above download it 'Burn the ISO to usb with unetbootin Set your pc to boot from usb and next thing you know you are in Linux. Play around with a few distros, Once you find 1 that you kinda like we can help you install it and set it up. Then I can show you a few tweaks and tricks.

Edited by NickAu1, 27 June 2014 - 08:15 AM.

#3 Wolverine 7

Wolverine 7

• Members
  • 746 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:08 AM

Posted 27 June 2014 - 01:33 PM

Linux would suite the system well,further to NickAu1,s suggestions if you want something simple and not a million miles away

from a windows desktop Lubunto is not bad and will run very snappily on your machine.

http://lubuntu.net/

#4 saul23

saul23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 AM

Posted 27 June 2014 - 03:02 PM

Thanks to NickAu1 & Wolverine 7,

Very helpful.....feel a little lost new forum and all,

I would award  kudos or the equivalent if I knew how.

#5 Wolverine 7

Wolverine 7

• Members
  • 746 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:08 AM

Posted 27 June 2014 - 04:20 PM

Dont think we have kudos on Bleeping,anyway welcome,dont feel lost just take your time and have a look around,a lot of knowledge

about computers,hardware,tutorials,burger recipies,that kind of thing.:-) :thumbup2:

#6 bmike1

bmike1

• Members
  • 596 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 AM

Posted 28 June 2014 - 02:39 AM

if you go with mx14 it is very peppy

if you go with Mint it is 'pretty'.

I run both... Mint is on my primary computer while mx14 I use on computers from 2001 that I use as media centers.

A/V Software? I don't need A/V software. I've run Linux since '98 w/o A/V software and have never had a virus. I never even had a firewall until '01 when I began to get routers with firewalls pre installed. With Linux if a vulnerability is detected a fix is quickly found and then upon your next update the vulnerability is patched.  If you must worry about viruses  on a Linux system only worry about them in the sense that you can infect a windows user. I recommend Linux Mint or, if you need a lighter weight operating system that fits on a cd, MX14 or AntiX.

#7 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,272 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2014 - 06:06 PM

Okay guys, please tell me if when we post to this subject here in XP, does it also go to the New locations that Hamluis put it to.  I will try and go to look but my skills might allow me to find lol.

For now I will post here then go look.

I am using LinuxMintMate with 1GB or RAM also.  I will try and link you to my post with all the issues that I have had because it might help you out.  I found that it did not work well with the USB, at all, it froze pc.  No problem just shut down and download to the LiveCD and that should work.  It is very slow unless you keep the CD humming but it allows you to test it all out before you take the plunge.  Not much to loose if you can't afford new MS suite.  I will say that the LinuxMintCinnamon is the closest to XP that I have seen, new and easy to use.  LinuxMintMate is similar but has many more features, tools.  I am a total novice so take this info. lightly and test out all the distros you want before you dive in, the only issue is you will need some CD's to do so, preferably DVD-R and not the DVD-RW.  Or a CD but I don't know how they differ besides one is obviously for video.     

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#8 bmike1

bmike1

• Members
  • 596 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2014 - 07:00 PM

Or a CD but I don't know how they differ besides one is obviously for video.     

The difference is the amount of data it can hold. dvd's hold much more. unless the iso has been designed for a cd it will only fit on a dvd. 

To be designed to fit on a CD it means that it will have smaller base programs..... most likely stuff you haven't heard of. With mx14 they did put a popular office suite in it (LibreOffice) which takes up the majority of the space on the CD. However if you decide you need the CD version and you want the more popular applications that application is easily downloadable if there is a Linux version.

Edited by bmike1, 29 June 2014 - 07:36 PM.

A/V Software? I don't need A/V software. I've run Linux since '98 w/o A/V software and have never had a virus. I never even had a firewall until '01 when I began to get routers with firewalls pre installed. With Linux if a vulnerability is detected a fix is quickly found and then upon your next update the vulnerability is patched.  If you must worry about viruses  on a Linux system only worry about them in the sense that you can infect a windows user. I recommend Linux Mint or, if you need a lighter weight operating system that fits on a cd, MX14 or AntiX.

#9 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,272 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2014 - 09:05 PM

Thanks Mike

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#10 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,700 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 PM

Posted 29 June 2014 - 09:14 PM

Wolverine 7

+1

Great advice get Lubuntu its light weight and will run on that PC

This is the way I  do it.

I would get the full Ubuntu or Linux Mint then install LXDE as the desktop environment, Running it that way you get the best of both worlds, The support of a full OS with the lightness of LXDE. At idle ( just the PC running my Mint 17 with LXDE only uses 170 meg of ram.)

Edited by NickAu1, 29 June 2014 - 09:15 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users