Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Logging disk write activities

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ddichev

ddichev

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 AM

Posted 27 June 2014 - 06:46 AM

Hello,

I have currently procured an SSD, and I am in the "zomg preserve its life!" stage. After following the common tips on the internet about doing so, I started using windows' resource monitor to inspect folders and make a decision about their placement (SSD vs HDD). However, I can't reach a verdict about a few (such as ProgramData, which appears to be situational depending on what you run on the machine), and I can't look at Resource Monitor all the time no matter what I am doing. So, I want to use some tool, or perhaps a technique for logging disk activities by folders and files that are written to. I tried performance monitor, but the data collection set I made there only logged the information per drive. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by hamluis, 27 June 2014 - 10:38 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,876 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 PM

Posted 27 June 2014 - 10:37 AM

Google Results

Louis

#3 ddichev

ddichev
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2014 - 12:16 PM

Thank you Louis, but I know how to use google. My issue is not which processes write, but instead where they write, for which I see a surprising lack of solutions. People always recommend either Resource manager, but it doesn't write logs, and nobody can keep track of everything it does for hours, or Performance manager, but nobody says exactly how can the effect be achieved, since all the reports I got didn't include folders/files breakdown.

#4 Wolverine 7

Wolverine 7

• Members
  • 746 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 AM

Posted 27 June 2014 - 01:22 PM

Wouldnt the Systinternals Process Monotor do it?Im not that experienced with it but you can set filters and have it track soecific processes.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896645.aspx

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,876 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 PM

Posted 27 June 2014 - 01:41 PM

Well...who said that you had to restrict yourself to using Windows tools?  The Google link was provided so that you could do some reviewing of the 3d-party sources which accommodate your desires.

If you don't want to do that, that's fine with me :).  There are a lot more 3d-party software developers...than there are Windows toolds.

Louis

#6 ddichev

ddichev
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2014 - 01:47 PM

Thanks Wolverine 7, I gave it a try. I discarded it at first sight because I recalled it being a Windows XP tool, and didn't think it would go a longer way then resource monitor, but know that I dug deeper in it, I realize it has the exact tool I need.

Many thanks again and best regards!

#7 ddichev

ddichev
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2014 - 02:02 PM

Well...who said that you had to restrict yourself to using Windows tools?  The Google link was provided so that you could do some reviewing of the 3d-party sources which accommodate your desires.

If you don't want to do that, that's fine with me :).  There are a lot more 3d-party software developers...than there are Windows toolds.

Louis

Oh well to be honest I didn't look too deeply into 3rd party solutions... I haven't had to perform this kind of performance tuning task before, and my windows administration is rusty, but I somehow assumed its own tools would be the best means. Dangerous assumption for Microsoft I guess :lol:. And I didn't notice any good 3rd party solutions during my prowls through the web... maybe I didn't look hard enough. Anyway, thanks for your replies :thumbsup2:!

#8 Wolverine 7

Wolverine 7

• Members
  • 746 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 AM

Posted 28 June 2014 - 06:56 AM

Yes i know what you mean,theirs a lot to Procmon and explorer,you have to go into them and do the learning curve on how to use em properly i guess,anyway glad you found what you needed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users