Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

WHAT THE BLEEP IS THIS AND HOW DOES IT HELP

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 jimbotoo

jimbotoo

• Banned
  • 297 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:48 AM

Posted 27 June 2014 - 02:34 AM

I found this thing called "START PAGE" :scratchhead:

I thought it was to protect XP, but as i looked at it, it seems to be some sort of, well i am just not sure, they are saying they do all these things that will make me surf safer but none of it seems to protect my computer, it all seems to be about blanking out your sulf history (which i think fire fox does anyway) with a proxy ?

what i like is the darn controls are so simple, like it does not bounce me in and out of family search mode all the time, plus the image page is organized instead of a over load of pictures, which is great if you are a bird watcher, cause the pics are more distinct if you use their Black back ground page.

they say they don't sell my sulf history which can't be worth much any way, as i buy almost nothing on the net, my main interest being, old movies bio's free programs, u tube music down loads etc.

it seems like cheese cake for paranoids

plus they have a "secure socket" any body know what that is. :woot:

jimbotoo :hello:

Edited by hamluis, 27 June 2014 - 05:29 AM.
Moved from XP to Web Browsing/Email.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,551 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 AM

Posted 27 June 2014 - 05:28 AM

FWIW:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ixquick#Startpage.com and http://www.microsoft.com/security/portal/threat/encyclopedia/search.aspx?query=Win32/Startpage .

We need more info by you to determine just what the name signifies, IMO.  Exactly where did you find it?  Did you install it? 

A link would be useful, IMO.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 27 June 2014 - 05:34 AM.

#3 jimbotoo

jimbotoo
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 297 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2014 - 05:46 PM

FWIW:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ixquick#Startpage.com and http://www.microsoft.com/security/portal/threat/encyclopedia/search.aspx?query=Win32/Startpage .

We need more info by you to determine just what the name signifies, IMO.  Exactly where did you find it?  Did you install it? 

A link would be useful, IMO.

Louis

Hi HAMLUIS

Can't remember where i found it, but was looking for a more secure broswer or anything more secure to use in anyway, and it came up some where.

But i am very glad you of all folks are offering help, as few understand my lack of computing talk as you do.

START PAGE says it has the highest security rating in the world, it operates out of some country that lets it do things that others don't

yes i installed, mostly because its "image" search is very "Tidy" and easy to read

the other thing is I get ZERO "ghostery"  notifiers  when i use it,

I am a bird watcher, ( no laughing fella) another thing i nottice is that my mechine does not jam up after looking at tons of bird images, like it does at google, start page blocks every bug, cookie and virus on every page

Louis, you know i am always out of my waters when describing these things, but heres a link to their info page, which many says is the safest search enging in the world

https://startpage.com/

on there is a link that explains why their different then anyone else's way of serching

Louis, truely, dearly waiting for your research comments on this, I know you never say anything with out a reason

jimbotoo :bubbles:

Edited by jimbotoo, 29 June 2014 - 12:55 AM.

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Members
  • 35,905 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 AM

Posted 29 June 2014 - 02:48 PM

plus they have a "secure socket" any body know what that is.

This is related to layer 4 of the OSI Model

Layer 4 is the Transport Layer

The transport layer provides the functional and procedural means of transferring variable-length data sequences from a source to a destination host via one or more networks, while maintaining the quality of service functions.

An example of a transport-layer protocol in the standard Internet protocol stack is TCP, usually built on top of the IP protocol.[/url]

Within that Transport Layer there are protocols available. One of them being secure. Or known as Transport Layer Security.

This is where the secure socket reference comes from.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,551 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2014 - 03:27 PM

Aside from the data provided by Google...I can't tell you anything about this search engine.

Louis

#6 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,498 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2014 - 04:22 PM

Using Firefox with NoScript and third party cookies blocked from installing is basically the same as using this search engine.

Whatever site you click on can install cookies and see your IP address. You can also tell Google not to save your search history.

But if you are happy with it and your computer somehow seems to run better, then use it. But I question if that is actually the case 

if you haven't tried blocking the third party cookies and using NoScript to compare.

It does offer use their proxy but that would like be so slow and frustrating due to all that the proxy server blocks.

EDIT: Plus...Firefox has a privacy mode....which when used doesn't record any of your history or cookies. It will keep downloads

you make. But your ISP and your employer can still see your computer activity.

Edited by buddy215, 29 June 2014 - 04:30 PM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#7 HairCut

HairCut

• Members
  • 235 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 PM

Posted 29 June 2014 - 05:32 PM

Every connection you make on the internet is recorded at your ISP. If you use Startpage to search, the connection they record is Startpage only. If you use their proxy view all they record is Startpage. Not your searches or your browser details or the page you are looking at in Startpage proxy view. if you look closely at the URL for a search on Google you will read your search term and probably some other identifying details about your browser and of course they know who you might be. They are your ISP after all and mandated to provide data to the government. Although I've nothing to hide (Well, apart from being an enemy of the state and all that :) ) I find it disconcerting that all of my internet activity is getting recorded and propagated who knows where and for all time too. So I use Startpage often, just to confound those organisations that like to build up profiles. I'm in favour generally of more privacy on the Internet.

Edited by HairCut, 29 June 2014 - 05:49 PM.

#8 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,834 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 AM

Posted 29 June 2014 - 05:37 PM

Using Firefox with NoScript

NoScript Configuration Guide

Edited by NickAu1, 29 June 2014 - 05:37 PM.

#9 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,498 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2014 - 09:00 PM

I went back to the Startpage site and explored some more. Guess what....they recommend users to use NoScript to further

stealth proxy server.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#10 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2014 - 11:24 PM

OK, this is a project teamed with ixquick, has been around for some years, at least since 2010, when I used it for awhile on Firefox (the ixquick search page). Many of us on a Windows 7 forum used it for awhile. It does provide HTTPS links where possible, which is more secure. 

Honestly I really don't know why I quit using it. Maybe it was because I had nothing to hide. Look at the difference between the two. 

https://www.ixquick.com/

https://startpage.com/eng/aboutstartpage/

It is also a Firefox addon through their extension options. The user has the option to make ixquick the Start Page, or add it to the drop down list of search engines. 

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/ixquick-https-privacy-search-e/

I've never heard of anyone having issues with the Start Page nor the ixquick Search engine, nor have read any negative reviews of it. Though like I've stated, I used it between 2010 & 2011, haven't since, but just did add the search option back into Firefox. After all, we do have a "Privacy & Security" topic that Stolen started here. The folks who runs this doesn't turn over search results to the NSA, nor do they answer to them. 

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/504082/privacy-and-security/

Cat

Edited by cat1092, 01 July 2014 - 11:24 PM.

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#11 jimbotoo

jimbotoo
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 297 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2014 - 02:51 AM

Using Firefox with NoScript

NoScript Configuration Guide

HELLO NICK

sometimes i get this jam up box that says-

"there maybe a script running in the background, do you want to turn off or continue?

hitting turn off or on, never seems to make difference

like all things computer, this no script thing confuses me, if i use start page as a home page, do i need no script, ?

and if yes do i need to turn it off to watch like the turner net work or u tube?

AS WELL   Thanks guys, :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

I maybe better looking, :crazy:

but you fella's sure have some insight to this stuff and we ( other dumb guys) all appreciate you commenting from so many directions, being able to come here and ask stuff is a sort of truth "GOOGLE" on computing.

the thing for me was and is, i clicked on a picture on Google once and suddenly had the  HA HA virus.

you gotta ask your self what kind of wart attaches a virus to a picture of a bird. I am a birder.

as it appears, start page opens pics in proxy, thus you can't get bugged, I think.

another time i was looking at some tree picture and the site came up in proxy under it, as all pictures you click do, I think

So i am reading this guys blog, called something like " on yonder field" great picture, but the blog was about shooting black folks

and i was well into reading this nuts description of some beautiful tree and then he goes hinkly at the end.

I want a non family filter that just filters out lunatics and blood lover-ers

what i really want is not to get infected by one of these warts leaving bombs around and start page proxy is the safest bet on the net for that.

start page was made cause "ixquick" did note ring bells as a marketing name i read.

But as for security and privacy, i don't think it exists anymore, I saw a u-tube where a guy turned his computer on by running some signal into his fuse box.

what does scare me is the way info collected is interpreted, in the right mood i will look at a site i hate or read a artical i know must be cow dung, from the lochness monster to nazi's living on the moon, and fear there is a rubber room waiting for me somewhere as a result.

jimbotoo :hello:

#12 Wolverine 7

Wolverine 7

• Members
  • 746 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 PM

Posted 03 July 2014 - 04:25 PM

Startpage is a great search engine,ive been using it for about 4 years,it gives you a nice clean filtered Google search,but they dont

track you in anyway,it wont give you quite so many hits as google,but i like it for everyday search,it has a nice clean interface

without the anoying Google advert for chrome etc or the anoying little attempts to second guess you in the search as you type

search terms.

Its also run by people who are genuinly concerned about the ethics of online privacy IMO.

I think their going to be offering free emals soon as an alternative to free hotmail,which wont include them being open to being

read by other parties.

#13 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2014 - 08:46 PM

I think their going to be offering free emals soon as an alternative to free hotmail,which wont include them being open to being

read by other parties.

Though it may indeed be a good option, to keep Microsoft from being nosy, there's no 100% way to guarantee that no one else can read these. 

For the majority of us, no one may care. However if the individual became a wanted target by any of the world governments, there would be a way found to read these, if nothing else, to intercept & read "over the shoulder", so to speak. 

Yes I do care about my privacy & that of everyone, please don't take this the wrong way, but I have nothing to hide (other than my personal credentials). Which the government already has, it begins with the birth certificate & now SSN's are required for children to be claimed on tax returns. This is to keep two or more persons from claiming a dependent, false tax returns costs the government (well really society, as we fund the government) billions of dollars per year. 

However I do like the extra HTTPS results that ixquick provides, the more secure the sites one uses, the better protection against for starters, identity thieves. It's not good security practice to enter confidential data on HTTP sites. 

And it's indeed refreshing to see that there's still a few providers whom really cares about our privacy. Something that one won't get from Microsoft, Google nor Apple, though here lately, Microsoft has been making the folks at Google look like the good guys. And to think, just 3-4 years ago, many were openly bashing Google due to privacy issues. During this time, Microsoft was posting notices portraying themselves as protecting it's customers. Yeah, right. At least Google gives a little more control of what's shared when using their apps, in terms that we can understand. 

So does ixquick. 

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#14 jimbotoo

jimbotoo
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 297 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2014 - 02:05 AM

read by other parties.

And it's indeed refreshing to see that there's still a few providers whom really cares about our privacy. Something that one won't get from Microsoft, Google nor Apple, though here lately, Microsoft has been making the folks at Google look like the good guys. And to think, just 3-4 years ago, many were openly bashing Google due to privacy issues. During this time, Microsoft was posting notices portraying themselves as protecting it's customers. Yeah, right. At least Google gives a little more control of what's shared when using their apps, in terms that we can understand. 

So does ixquick. 

Cat

Nick and haircut thanks for your reaserch on this.

hey CAT!

question =

As I understand it, my using startpage is a over lay on firefox, of some sort as fire fox still shows on my tabs, how would i turn off script on a page off using start/fire fox in this manner. do i do it on start page controls or firefox--where ever that is now stuck behind start page???

and if i need to us script on a page will i be given a option to do so.

also for shear lack of eye fatigue looking at images with start pages black background option is amazing if you are doing a lot of image searches, it really makes it easy to see quickly the difference from one picture to the next

jimbotoo :bubbles:

Edited by jimbotoo, 04 July 2014 - 02:18 AM.

#15 Wolverine 7

Wolverine 7

• Members
  • 746 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 PM

Posted 04 July 2014 - 12:28 PM

Thanks Cat,nice post,im not much bothered about privacy issues,not as far as "what people know about me"i dont really care what people know about me,(i do care about security)i use Startpage because i dont like the way Google track you incessantly,as in if i search Google for"buynew hardive"on my computer,ill get different results than you will if you search it on your computer,because they filter the results so much.

Google and Microsoft are big corporations and big corporations are always run for them,not the customers(not to mention the fact that some of their practices are ethicaly dodgy),Facebooks no better,as seen by the resent post on this site about social engineering.(oops going of topic).

When Statpage start emails im going to bag Outlook and use them also,i dont have much to hide but i dont see why the FBI or whoever should nose around in my peronal corespondece either.lol.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users