Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What would I run to repair Registry after malware attacked it?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Ktanaqui

Ktanaqui

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:18 AM

Posted 27 June 2014 - 01:07 AM

Forgive me if this is the wrong area.

Long story short, my sister managed to get some malware on her desktop which edited the registry. Is there a program in existent to automatically repair the registry without those nasty bits, or do they have to be manually removed? It would be much simpler if there's a program available, because she's not quite the brightest tool in the shed when it comes to computer... and I can't just like, physically go over to fix the computer. And the computer is pretty much a zombie for the time being - the internet outright crashes (Chrome) or refuses to go where it's told to (redirect malware), so I don't know that TeamViewer would even allow me to help with that.

Edited by hamluis, 27 June 2014 - 05:19 AM.
Moved from AV/AM Software to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 AM

Posted 27 June 2014 - 04:26 AM

The machine is still infected by the sounds of it. It is not a simple registry clean to bring it back to working...

She will need to seek online help here (or elsewhere), or have someone assist her physically if she is not capable of forums assistance.

Sorry

TsVk!

#3 Unfitgames

Unfitgames

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:18 AM

Posted 27 June 2014 - 12:31 PM

Join.me would give some access but that would require a website to download the link. You could also have her run HiJackThis!, Although, you should review the log to ensure you're not removing wanted items.

The system may still be infected or could just still have hooks in the browser. I am not familiar enough with Teamviewer but I do LogMeIn virus removals all the time for my clients.

Good Luck!

#4 chakotay2

chakotay2

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:18 AM

Posted 27 June 2014 - 10:02 PM

Join.me isn't a bad choice but may have some problems. It doesn't work with UAC / elevated permissions. Teamviewer is free for personal use, you may want to take a look at it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users