Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Error loading operating system on boot

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 yosefu_kun_98

yosefu_kun_98

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:20 PM

Posted 26 June 2014 - 10:11 PM

Hi all,

There's a problem I'm having with a computer I've just recently set up with Windows Vista. What happens is, I can get past the BIOS screen, but after that, I see "Error loading operating system".

I've really been unable to fix it... Startup repair says there's nothing wrong, System Restore doesn't work (it says that there are no restore points), and I've tried to use Bootrec to fix the BCD, but it was telling me that there were no Windows installations available.

I've done all I can think of to try to fix it, except for reinstalling Windows or replacing the hard drive completely.

Is there any way I can get around this problem?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,255 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:20 PM

Posted 27 June 2014 - 09:50 AM

Was the hard drive new or did it have an OS on it previously?

Before you do anything I would run a disk diagnostic with Seatools for DOS. You may have to change the BIOS from AHCI mode to IDE mode for Seatools to detect the drive. If the drive passes then you can do the following options.

You can prepare the hard drive for a clean install by using the Vista Install disk at the command prompt.

At the command prompt: type the following. Make sure you are doing this to the correct disk n. You can use either clean or clean all. Clean all is a good option for a clean install.

1. Diskpart
  2. list disk
  3. select disk n    (n being the number of the disk you want to clean)
  4. clean    (this will delete partition table)
  5. clean all   (this will zero drive)
  6. Install Vista

Here is a tutorial showing the command prompts being used. It's for Windows 7 but is valid for Vista.

Or you can do it with the bootable version of Partition Wizard (free). Burn the iso file and then Wipe the drive using the Quick Option. After that, start your Vista Install.

#3 yosefu_kun_98

yosefu_kun_98
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:20 PM

Posted 27 June 2014 - 01:49 PM

To answer that question, the hard drive was new. 

I'll see what I can do about Seatools for DOS. 

But is reinstalling Windows the only way to repair this? 

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,255 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:20 PM

Posted 27 June 2014 - 01:59 PM

If you tried to repair the BCD and it still gave you this warning then I would do a reinstall after checking the health of the disk but I am sure it will pass as the disk is new. Maybe the install disk itself is bad.

Before you do anything type these commands at a command prompt:

bootsect /nt60 c: /force /mbr
bcdboot c:\windows /s c:

Reboot

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users